• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HotS Inquisitor Whitemane + Alternate Versions

High Inquisitor of the Scarlet Crusade Sally Whitemane from Heroes of the Storm by Blizzard Entertainment.

She's inherited traits of an Anime queen (particularly the Oh-ho-ho-ho laugh which is part of one of her attacks) and steps on people.

Most of these variants share the same/similar animations save for the Mobster, which has unique animations (in practical terms they're not that useful, but they're full of personality). They are just as compatible with the other skins if you really want them.

Celestial Empress Whitemane has an animated texture in HotS, but it is unable to be replicated in base Warcraft 3 in the same manner.

ED 4/10/2021: Adjusted animations for Scarlet Heist Whitemane.
Previews
Contents

Celestial Empress Whitemane (Model)

Scarlet Heist Mobster Whitemane (Model)

Scarlet High Inquisitor Whitemane (Model)

Spooky Raven Court Witch Whitemane (Model)

Reviews
loktar
Changes made, approved.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I always loved the witch version, thanks.

Would be cool to have some Diablo III witches/witch hunters - Demon Hunter and Mage.

EDIT: about that celestial version texture. I guess one could do a makeshift as an FX on the model?

Would be cool to have some Diablo III witches - Demon Hunter and Mage.

EDIT: about that celestial version texture. I guess one could do a makeshift as an FX on the model?
We all know what version you love. I have it on my hard disk somewhere still.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Shoo! You unreal voice! Begone, I say!

@Razorclaw_X if it's not too much to ask, would you mind setting the tags properly. I guess, it's not all those, right?

Irrelevant sidenote, HotStorm, StarCraft II and possibly other games call skins what are actually model variations.

Level 20
@Razorclaw_X if it's not too much to ask, would you mind setting the tags properly. I guess, it's not all those, right?

Irrelevant sidenote, HotStorm, StarCraft II and possibly other games call skins what are actually model variations.
1. They probably mean different things to different people, but whatever. I'm still not taking off the Diablo/Starcraft/WoW tags because there isn't a Heroes of the Storm tag (and there really shouldn't be).

2. That fight was lost a long time ago.

It's way more complicated than that. Warcraft 3 can handle the basic part of it just fine (the animated texture), but it doesn't know how to restrict the animation from certain parts of the model like how it's set up in HotS (it's all texture-controlled). The only way to replicate it is to disassemble the model, which in this model's case is actually quite difficult.

The texture itself is a basic black and white constellation sheet that is only supposed to go over the blue parts of her costume. The effect doesn't work so great if it's crawling all over her.

I'm positive Reforged can handle it, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I'm positive Reforged can handle it, but that kind of defeats the purpose.
Hmm. Well, you should add one such version. Some might import it in Reforged. Unless you actually need to do some hardcore model editing of course.
You have no idea how many versions of Li Ming I'm sitting on.
Give her some air man. Oh no, not that kind. Ah, forget it.
I'm still not taking off the Diablo/Starcraft/WoW tags because there isn't a Heroes of the Storm tag (and there really shouldn't be).
No, WoW is fine. But StarCraft? I guess Diablo works because of the witch version.

Level 20
No, WoW is fine. But StarCraft? I guess Diablo works because of the witch version.
Well this is really a matter of fighting over whether this should even be packed together or uploaded separately now. Even as it stands none of the tags accurately describe what Mobster Whitemane is used for as a 1920s gangster.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Well this is really a matter of fighting over whether this should even be packed together or uploaded separately now.
No, nothing of the sort :p
I'm just saying that tags are important when you search. I usually search by tags for things that I might miss if I write say StarCraft instead in the search field.
On top of that, many older models don't even have tags :\
Oh and searching StarCraft and finding Whitemane is really time wasting if/when loads of models occupy search pages.
Even as it stands none of the tags accurately describe what Mobster Whitemane is used for as a 1920s gangster.
No but if you're searching by World of Warcraft you get Whitemane and you might expect finding that model variation in the bundle.

Level 12
This is amazing, thank you. I noticed though that a few animation "stutter" (like the model "shakes" around where she stands), namely:
  1. Attack 1
  2. Attack 2
  3. Attack 3
  4. Stand Channel
Is this something that can be fixed?

Edit: And just to know: Is this the original quality of HotS, or does the extract process reduce the texture etc to some degree?

Last edited:
Level 20
Is this something that can be fixed?
I know what you're talking about, and I'm going to try to clean it up as much as possible. I don't have the time to re-import all the animations from scratch right now (even then I can't guarantee that still wouldn't mess it up because animation transfer isn't an exact science).

Edit: And just to know: Is this the original quality of HotS, or does the extract process reduce the texture etc to some degree?
It's compressed and baked. My motivation is lower file size and works on regular War3, but there's nothing stopping anyone from using the original files converted.

In Reforged I would imagine that you could use them straight out of the data files.

Can you Reforged it, pal?
I don't own Reforged at the moment (waiting for a sale) so my interest in doing Reforged models is somewhat limited at the moment. Given time I could figure out how to set everything up the same way as in HotS, but that won't be anytime soon.

Last edited:
Level 12
I know what you're talking about, and I'm going to try to clean it up as much as possible. I don't have the time to re-import all the animations from scratch right now (even then I can't guarantee that still wouldn't mess it up because animation transfer isn't an exact science).

Thanks a lot, looks so much better now! However (and maybe that's what you meant with "mess up"), in Attack 2 the staff is floating in the air now:

vbgznGV.png

It's compressed and baked. My motivation is lower file size and works on regular War3, but there's nothing stopping anyone from using the original files converted.

In Reforged I would imagine that you could use them straight out of the data files.

Are the original files better in terms of quality? And is there a guide you follow for the extraction? Same as Ken Lenard I'd love to see a Reforged version - maybe I can give it a try.

Level 20
Extraction is just a matter of using your favorite CASC tool.

As for converting models they come in .m3 format by default (the same as Starcraft 2). I use Blender and m3addon from here:

Talv/m3addon

Then once I've got things to my liking I use Fingofin's MDX exporter for Blender to export it to .mdl:

MDL Exporter for Blender3D!

By default this does not make a Reforged-compatible file; you'd have to use Retera's hacked tool to do that (from there I would presume you have to try and match the graphics settings to be the same as the m3addon gives you in Blender, or close to it).

The DDS files should work with Reforged with no additional manipulation.

=====

Now, having said all that, then the fun part of converting the animations is a whole another can of worms. HotS models store their animation data in separate .m3a files which contain all the instructions for the bones to move. You import them with the same m3addon as above, but you need to set up the animation exporting yourself (Fingofin's tool doesn't do this automatically for you and you should refer to his documentation for an explanation)

Level 2
The models work fine for me in Reforged, apart from a few very minor flaws. Amazing model, thank you!

Level 10
glad Hive accepts other Warcraft game model rips now big PP! and thanks for the extra skins sir!

Some issues (all models):
-There are many duplicate frames, please fix that
-Please add some footprints (and maybe some blood in the death animations)

See Sanity Test | HIVE for more details. Look for "Track x has the same frame y as track z" warnings concerning the duplicate frames.

Last edited:
Level 20
I disagree; footprints are not required.

Also running it through your Sanity Tester Optimizing tool caused all sorts of new problems

EVERY new issue the models have are caused by the Model Optimization Tool.

And that doesn't begin to go into the fact that sometimes you WANT duplicated frames. The model engine Blizzard made actually makes use of that.

If you still want the previous versions they're posted here:

Attachments

• HotS Inquisitor Whitemane Alternate Versions.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Level 20
See how Sanity Tester claims now there's no closing keyframes? That's caused by the duplicate's removal. You can't win with this thing.

Kharazim's HotS animator made this claim by duplicating all the animation frames it made it look like everything hit harder (in his case 'more punchy' because of how the keyframes are being asked, it hits the keyframes again for an emphasized movement). You tend to see this used in a lot of the later models.

Last edited:
Hmm, I think there may be a misunderstanding here.

If I understand correctly, you're using my Model Optimizer tool, but that doesn't have an option to remove duplicate keyframes (yet) [edit: actually, the Delete Invalid Keyframes option does remove them].
So I think you might be referring to the option to Delete Same-ish Keyframes, which is currently bugged and sometimes removes the wrong frames, leading to the no opening/closing keyframes stuff.

But when I say duplicate keyframes, I mean the same frame being in multiple tracks of the same animation, so for example a bone's Translation containing something like:
Code:
100: { 1, 2, 3 }
100: { 3, 4, 5 }
In such a case, one of those two lines should be removed (probably the first), while keeping the other, so it shouldn't cause a no opening/closing keyframe warning.
AFAIK there's no tool that does this automatically (maybe GhostWolf's MDX Squisher?). [edit: same as the previous edit^]

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding and I'm wrong about this?

Well, either way, maybe I'm being too strict here. I guess as long as the model works fine ingame, it shouldn't matter. It's certainly better to have a model with duplicate frames that works properly than to have a model without them that is buggy or doesn't work as intended.

Edit:
Kharazim's HotS animator made this claim by duplicating all the animation frames it made it look like everything hit harder (in his case 'more punchy' because of how the keyframes are being asked, it hits the keyframes again for an emphasized movement). You tend to see this used in a lot of the later models.
Interesting, didn't know that. This is about HotS itself probably? Not sure if the same applies to WC3.
Anyway, go ahead and reupload the previous version of the model. I'll retest it later and approve it.

Edit2:
I've also asked some feedback to other reviewers about the footprints. I'm gonna see what they think about it, maybe I'm being too strict about that as well.

Last edited:
Level 20
It is about HotS and Starcraft 2 at the very least. I assume it can also apply to War3 since the rendering engine are similar enough to each other to be compatible.

I added the footprints, but as far as I can tell you can't ever see them in the 3D viewer on this site or in the Editor preview pane-- only in-game. I don't have time to check to see if they're actually showing up or even if they're plodding on the right feet, but they're so unnoticeable that they might as well not even be there. They're like one of the tings about models I understand the least.

I assume it can also apply to War3 since the rendering engine are similar enough to each other to be compatible.
Yeah seems plausible. I'll keep this in mind in the future and ignore these duplicate frame warnings (in cases similar to this anyway).

as far as I can tell you can't ever see them in the 3D viewer on this site or in the Editor preview pane-- only in-game.
Yeah unfortunately this is true. I'll keep an eye out for it when I get around to testing it.

Level 20
Now that I have time to check, obviously the first thing I tried didn't work. So I copy/pasted Jaina's footprints and that worked a little better. Still can hardly see them (couldn't see them at all in Test Map for some reason; had to load up the game). Don't know if they are more noticeable in Reforged or not.

The bigger question is... "Jaina has footprints?"

Level 12
@Razorclaw_X would you still recommend using the old version? What bugs does the new version have?

And one problem with specifically Reforged: when using this model, the units have no sound, regardless of what custom sound you select for the unit. Is this normal?

Edit: ideally I would use of course the Hohoho sound from Hots if possible xD

Level 20
I don't have Reforged so I don't know any problems associated with it.

As for what version to use I was kind of in a pissy mood when updating (because I saw it while I was in the middle of another game-- you have to understand even I have some pride) so I'm not confident what I uploaded was my best. I almost expect that to get everything 100% perfect I'd just start over from scratch.

Last edited:
Level 12
Now that you have uploaded Sally whitemane (the Queen of Legs) will you consider thinking about uploading Archlich Kel'thuzad , it would be so Cooool if you do that.

Level 14
There seems to be a bug at least with the standard model (the Scarlet Inquisitor Skin).
If you assign her a Voice / Soundset, she will not play any of the lines except her "Ready" line when created. Maybe it's something to do with the talk animations not being set properly?

Level 20
How did you make the "Death" animation? Because I know the .m3 version uses ragdolls instead, and I'm still trying to understand how they function in place of death animations.
It's a ported WoW Human Female death animation. Originally I had her 100% WoW Human Female animations until I figured out how to transfer her HotS animations over, so that one stuck.

Generally you have to make your own Death animations.

Level 1

Would be cool to have some Diablo III witches/witch hunters - Demon Hunter and Mage.

Can you get her textures for all models please?

Level 1

I don't own Reforged at the moment (waiting for a sale) so my interest in doing Reforged models is somewhat limited at the moment. Given time I could figure out how to set everything up the same way as in HotS, but that won't be anytime soon.
can you get her other textures all 4 her models please

Level 1
Do I need a specific version for it to work? I try the Scarlet High Inquisitor Whitemane model with the texture

and it just doesn't load (yes, I followed the steps in the tutorial, ps the link on the page doesn't work at least to me)