• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hide a hero ability without disabling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hello there,

I have hit a strange issue.

I have made custom hero attributes for my map, and one of them called dexterity increases the damage multiplier of the hero Critical Hits ability.

I also wanted to manage the chance to crit with a hero ability.

The idea is give the hero a modified version of a unit Critical Strike ability. This will be the effective ability.
The hero version of the ability with the same name is a dummy one.

Every time the hero increases his dexterity or increases his dummy Critical Hits level, a trigger sets the unit version of the Critical Hits ability to have the proper crit % rate and crit damage multiplier.
The Lua trigger doing that works a treat.

But the issue I have is the hero ability icon ( and I need that ability because every level gives an extra 8% chance to crit.) is displayed, but not the unit ability.

It would not be a problem if setting hero abilities tooltips with triggers was not bugged.

When I try to change a hero ability's tooltip and extended tooltip, it refuses to go beyond lev 3 when my hero ability has in fact 11 levels.

Thats why I want to change the tooltip of the unit ability as it does not have levels, and I can change it on the fly with triggers.

So how can I hide the hero ability so that only the unit ability is displayed ?

I tried setting the icon position to x=0 and y=-11, and this old trick does not work.

When I tried the opposite (hiding the unit ability and show the hero ability for tooltips), all I had to do is give the hero a spellbook with the unit ability and hide the spellbook.

Unfortunately I can not use hero abilities in spellbooks and when I force it with shift+click in the object editor, it does not work ingame.

EDIT :

OK it's worse than I thought.

Actually I was wrong, the hero ability icon is indeed hidden.

What confused me is the absence of extended tooltip (both unit and hero versions of the ability had none).
It seems the natives to change the extended tooltips are broken.

Here is the issue so far :
1) I can't change a unit abilities extended tooltip with the native BlzSetAbilityExtendedTooltip

2) I can't change hero abilities tooltips or extended tooltips beyond level 3

Anyone knows what is happening ?

EDIT 2 :

FIXED !

What happened is that it seems you can not modify tooltips or extended tooltips if they are empty in the world editor.

This does not fix the issue with hero abilities, but at least I solved this using the normal ability tooltips, and thats just as good as the hero ability was just a dummy one for gaining crit rate % anyways :)

EDIT 3:

I can confirm after deeper testing that the issue was related to tooltips being blank in the map editor, for unit abilities.

I still need to test the hero abilities tooltips, as it might also have issues when they are blank for every level in the object editor, but this would not explain the fact that they worked until the 3rd level of the ability. After that the tooltip remains identical as the lev 3 tooltip set with triggers, and further levels refuse to take different tooltip values.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.