• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help with Special effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello. I am currently in the making of a map which will use a system like Master Crafters (the weapon/armor you equip is shown as a model on your character).
I kinda know how to do it, and I am doing it with special effects.
But I need help with this:
When you equip a weapon (1 handed weapon), a special effect of that weapon is created at your right hand.
I need to make that, if you already have a 1-handed-weapon equiped on the right hand (special effect), and you equip another 1-handed-weapon (meaning you have 2 1-handed weapons), the second one shows on the left hand (special effect) instead of the right one.

I certainly dont know how to do it (yes I am a newb with this), I tried the triggers but there isnt one saying that "if you have already have a special effect on (right hand), the special effect is created on (left hand)".

Any help with this? I really need it, thank you.

ps: sorry if its in the wrong section.

Level 29
I'd say the most comfortable thing to do (instead of triggering the effects) is just make a left hand and right hand item for each of your weapons, change the effects between the hands.

Now when an item fall, you make it be right handed by default, but when someone equips it, you check if he has another one-handed weapon (use any equipment system, this for example) and then replace the item with the left hand version.

Level 3
I read it a few times to understand what were you trying to say, and I think I finally got it...
You are saying that it could be possible by making every weapon right handed when you pick it up, and by using that system you mentioned, it would check if there is another right handed weapon. If it already is, remove the picked weapon and add a left handed version of it to the unit. Right?
But if that is right, what part of the trigger (this one)checks if you already have another one-handed-weapon when you pick one? Cause I dont know how to read triggers well...

Also: If I have to make two versions of each item, I would have to make 2 triggers and 2 spells (making them show the weapon in right and left hand, or using special effects) per weapon?

Level 3
But, cant you make it like these?

If (Condition): There is already a one-handed weapon (right hand) <- [system checks if there is already a one handed weapon]
Then (Action): Do nothing
Else (Action): Add Special effect at left hand (or spell that does the same thing).

--
Well, if it cant be done that way, ill just make every weapon 2 handed... or find some easiest way to do it :/

Last edited:
Level 4
But, cant you make it like these?

If (Condition): There is already a one-handed weapon (right hand) <- [system checks if there is already a one handed weapon]
Then (Action): Do nothing
Else (Action): Add Special effect at left hand (or spell that does the same thing).

--
Well, if it cant be done that way, ill just make every weapon 2 handed... or find some easiest way to do it :/

When a guy acquires an one handed item while he is not wearing anything, you can set its custom value to a number (for example 1)
You also have to check if the guys number is 1, when he picked up an one handed item. So it means that this guy acquired a one handed before, and the effect must be on the left hand. So you can set the custom value to 2, and make the effect on the left hand.

Here is what it must look like.
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
  • Conditions
    • (Item-class of (Last created item)) Equal to ?One hand? (Conditions are up to you.)
  • Actions
    • Multiple FunctionsIf (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
      • If - Conditions
        • (Custom value of (Hero manipulating item)) Equal to (==) 1
      • Then - Actions
        • Unit - Set the custom value of (Hero manipulating item) to 2
        • Do something with the effects. Get the item to left hand.
      • Else - Actions
        • Unit - Set the custom value of (Hero manipulating item) to 1
        • Do something with the effects. Get the item to right hand.

Level 3
Believe me, messing with effects without leaking is much more nuisance then just making two items.

This way you can also add different bonuses to each hand (which is quite realistic).

Well yeah, you are centairly right, but I think that Yddohu's way could work better. Thank you anyways!

Yddohu said:
When a guy acquires an one handed item while he is not wearing anything, you can set its custom value to a number (for example 1)
You also have to check if the guys number is 1, when he picked up an one handed item. So it means that this guy acquired a one handed before, and the effect must be on the left hand. So you can set the custom value to 2, and make the effect on the left hand.

Thank you very much! :thumbs_up:

-edit-
Well, the trigger is working, but I find no way to remove the effect created when equipping a weapon using that system... appart from making 2 of each weapon, but thats what GhostWolf suggested, and im trying to do it with the trigger made by Yddohu.
Help?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.