• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Help with Extinguishing Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello there, first-time poster here, but a long-time follower. I am currently working on an RPG style game where there is a quest where a town gets raided and you have to protect it for X minutes. I was adding in a side quest where you can help extinguish flames that were started in the farmlands. Thus far I have had a few ideas but unsure of how to execute. I am not very familiar with JASS.

I've thought about having the Fire be a unit that can be targeted by an item ability, and when that occurs to have a trigger that kills the unit if it equals Fire. But not sure how to lay this out.

If I keep the Fire as a unit I know how to track the Fire's death to keep the trigger going. If I need to switch it back to an sfx I will be a bit lost.

Any assistance will be helpful this chain of quests has been killer on my brain the last week.

FOR DEEPER DETAIL ON MY VISION:

I wanted the player characters to be able to go up to a Well (a shop with a free water bucket item) and can extinguish the flames by using the item near the flames. Then going back and forth to extinguish all 6 Fires. All while fighting off raiders and protecting villagers.

Level 39
I've thought about having the Fire be a unit that can be targeted by an item ability, and when that occurs to have a trigger
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit starts the effect of an ability
if it equals Fire
  • Conditions
    • (Ability being cast) equal to ITEM ABILITY
    • (Unit-type of (Target unit of ability being cast)) equal to FIRE UNIT
kills the unit
  • Actions
    • Unit - Kill (Target unit of ability being cast)
    • Set FireCount = (FireCount - 1)
    • If (All conditions are true) then do (Then actions) else do (Else actions)
      • If - Conditions
        • FireCount less than or equal to 0
      • Then - Actions
        • {do quest stuff here}
      • Else - Actions
Set the default value of FireCount in its variable declaration and that should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.