• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help with animating Arthas model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
The reason I write this post, is because I can't get anything to work. Or, I can only get part of things to work.
I realized that there is a very nice model out there, the Arthas cinematic model, and decided that I want to use it in my map. So I go ahead and extract the Illidan/Arthas fight model, textures and all, plus the Rockin' Arthas model, with textures and all.
I then proceed to remove the guitar and ice loudspeakers. It looks okay, right? Then I take the Illidan/Arthas fight model and remove everything except the Frostmourne he's holding. Then I import the Rockin' Arthas model, and position the sword in his right hand, then exporting the sword.
Then I remember that I must animate the model, and I search for tutorials.
Woohoo! I find one. BUT, I can't get it to work properly. I first tried adding bones to the model, for it had none, for some reason. Then I tried to animate it, but something went wrong, I don't know what, and I gave up.
So I wonder if anyone could give me a hand? Maybe give the model some bones and then send it to me, so I can try to make animations?
If it's of any importance, I'm using 3dsMax 8.

Cheers,
Breger (Groggy Golem)

Attachments

• RockinArthas3.mdx
    102.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Level 2
Because my 3dsMax 8 is messed up. I've installed it and reinstalled it several times. And I can't make heads or tails out of the tutorial I read.
I need a very thorough tutorial if I am to do something like this. And, I'm not that familiar with how to split meshes apart, which I will have to learn.
EDIT: Ah, nevermind. I'll give it another try tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I'll try some other program.
But one thing that I really don't like, is a strange glitch of some kind. When the mdx is imported to 3dsMax, a part of the cloak is deleted. If you view the model from the back, the cloak looks like it should, but if you look from the front, you can't see the cape. I thought first it was only a slight fault with 3dsMax, that it didn't want to display the model correctly, but the problem persisted in War3 Model Viewer. Strange bug...

EDIT:
Something is bothering me with this model. For a model to have animations, it requires bones, right? Then how come there are no bones on that model when I import it? The same with all other models I've tried. Am I doing something wrong, using the wrong importer, maybe? I'm using impexpmdx (Note sure what it's really called, but that's the filename).

Last edited:
Level 2
I'm going to put this animation "project" on the shelf, for the importer I just found that seems better than my current one, requires 3ds Max 5, which isn't available any longer. And to add more salt to the wounds, Warcraft III Art Tools requires 3ds Max 5 also.
So unless anyone has a trial version of the old 5th version of 3ds Max saved on their computer, I'm rather stuck. I'd rather use the bones already existing on the model, than making my own.

Cheers, and thanks for listening, anyone who did,
Groggy Golem.

Status
Not open for further replies.