• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HELP! I can't get the skins i download to actually show up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Okay, I followed the 5 step instructions from that stickies thing, to the letter. I imported 2 skins, an Armored Orc variation and a Doom Guard variation. Someone please tell me how to actually get them to work, how i can create a unit and have it look like that, and show up in a real game.

Also when i check the custom path box as told and click okay, i double click again and the box is unchecked, it doesn't seem to stay checked after i click okay. Please someone help me.

Level 2
lllLSDlll said:
http://www.wc3sear.ch/viewtopic.php?p=51557#51557

try to find tutorial before asking basic question, all basic tutorial are here on this site

Yea man i know, i used one of the tutorials but it doesn't work, in the Editor it shows up as a colored checkered box, in the game it shows up as just a shadow you can't select.

Level 2
Okay, i went to Import Manager, i selected the file. I double clicked to bring up the window, and i put a check in the box labeled: Custom Path. and then i changed the \ to a / like it told me to, i clicked okay, saved the map, closed the editor, re-opened the editor, loaded the map, placed the unit (checkered box), and it didnt work.

Now when i try to use a skin i usualy go under Objects manager, for example:

I made a custom unit (Grunt) to use for a Armored Grunt skin. I went to the Model file or w/e its called the changes the model/look for a unit. i went to the custom thing and copy/pasted in the exact path. then when i went to place it a message like: File unable to load or File not found or something, in yellow writeing at bottum of editor, and the placed unit was the checkered cube, someone help plz.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
This also happens to me. the custom skin can be seen in the editor but cant be seen while playing. Ive did same thing; wrote correct path on the skin, closed the editor and re-opened it, wrote custom path on skin and on the model ive wrote the path, deleted the Blp for the Mdl/mdx. The custom skin is visible in the editor but when playing its like if it had no different skin.

Level 2
Custom model? no, here is what i basically do:
I import the skin, check the custom path, correct the path name.
I then copy the path (CTRL + C)
Then i go to a hero or unit and i go to the model part, where you can change it from like a Demon Hunter to a Tauren Chieftain, i click on the Custom circle of paste the path.
Now if im doing this wrong could someone please give me a tutorial, other than the ones i've already read that where suggested, cus i've followed the suggested tutorials to no avail.

And no im not using a custom model

Level 6
DarkCelestrial said:
Okay, i went to Import Manager, i selected the file. I double clicked to bring up the window, and i put a check in the box labeled: Custom Path. and then i changed the \ to a / like it told me to, i clicked okay, saved the map, closed the editor, re-opened the editor, loaded the map, placed the unit (checkered box), and it didnt work.

Now when i try to use a skin i usualy go under Objects manager, for example:

I made a custom unit (Grunt) to use for a Armored Grunt skin. I went to the Model file or w/e its called the changes the model/look for a unit. i went to the custom thing and copy/pasted in the exact path. then when i went to place it a message like: File unable to load or File not found or something, in yellow writeing at bottum of editor, and the placed unit was the checkered cube, someone help plz.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Nonononono, you got it all wrong! You do not change the \ to a /.

Here are the steps.

- Import the grunt skin you are using

- Double click on the file you imported

- Check the Use Custom Path box

-Type in: Units\Orc\Grunt\Grunt.blp
I will repeat this.
Units\Orc\Grunt\Grunt.blp
THIS EXACT PATH!

- Save your map.

- Close the Editor.

- Open your map again.

- Go to the Object Editor.

- Change the model file of the unit, to a grunt.

There, now the unit you modified has the grunt skin.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
If the file that you are importing is in .tga format, download WC3 Image Extractor or Wc3 View to convert it into a .blp image file, then import it to your map.

Level 2
Okay i did what you said, and it worked. Really cool looking. Now i tried doing that with other skins but it didnt work, example:
I have a Doom Guard variant also and i do the same thing for it that i did for the grunt.
under cutom file path i put: units\demon\DoomGuard\DoomGuard
and it says it works and everyone but when i place it, its a normal Doom Guard. Agares is doing the same thing. The grunts working but the other two wont.

Status
Not open for further replies.