• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

having difficulty with using Skins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Yes, I've read the tutorial.

What i don't understand is where to find the original blizzard skins to modify.

If anybody can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Level 4
couple of questions:

1, will this permanently change the look of the model? (The Mag'Har Orc pack has skins to change green orcs to brown orcs. (<--- in it's simplest form, obviously.) will i be able to use both types, or just one?)

2, whats the difference between .blp and .tga and why should i care, and

3, i've found the file i want, how do i export it? there's no button that i can see on Wc3 Image Tool, and clicking doesn't help.

Level 28
1. Yes, I think you need to have some other model if you want the skin to change while playing.

2. Most programs support .tga (example: Photoshop), but do not support .blp, so to edit the skins, you will need the .tga-file, not .blp.
But to let them work in-game, you will need to convert them again to .blp

3. Simply push the "Save" button on top of the screen (as shown in the attached file)
Note that I've probably got an older program, since I have downloaded this about 1-2 years ago and didn't update it.

Attachments

• Preview.jpg
    Preview.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 163
Level 4
Got the skin i want (in this case the orc Shaman skin) and saved it as Shaman2.blp. Got the custom skin i wanted (Shaman.blp from the Mag'har pack), then 'Modify file properties' to the custom skin.

Naturally, a problem occurs.

Every time i try to click OK after using a custom path, it never seems to work. it never actually changes the path.

and when you say, Yes, I think you need to have some other model if you want the skin to change while playing, what do you mean when you say other model?

Level 28
and when you say, Yes, I think you need to have some other model if you want the skin to change while playing, what do you mean when you say other model?

A model that has the "animation" to use another skin, like Illidan, when he transforms (which is an animation... I think), he uses another skin.

Are you using the correct path?
The path for an Orc Shaman is: "Units\Orc\Shaman\Shaman.blp"

Level 4
Ok, now i've confused myself. :slp:

So, exactly how do i go about...

:slp:

Ok. Should the file (The finished skin) look like:

A, war3mapImported\unit_name.blp
B, Units\race_name\???\unit_name.blp
C, C:\...TheMagharOrcs\skins\unit_folder\unit_name.blp

Do i replace the skin with the custom skin in the War3.mpq file by any chance?

Level 28
Ok, now i've confused myself. :slp:

So, exactly how do i go about...

:slp:

Ok. Should the file (The finished skin) look like:

A, war3mapImported\unit_name.blp
B, Units\race_name\???\unit_name.blp
C, C:\...TheMagharOrcs\skins\unit_folder\unit_name.blp

Do i replace the skin with the custom skin in the War3.mpq file by any chance?

It's Exactly what I have said: "Units\Orc\Shaman\Shaman.blp"
Never use the "war3mapImported", nor the location on your PC.
These two will result in a fail...

"Units\Race\UnitName\UnitName.blp" is correct.

Level 34
"Units\Race\UnitName\UnitName.blp" is correct.
Not necessarily. Tauren has a different path, and it's: "Units\Orc\Tauren\Minotaur.blp", just like Treant: "Units\NightElf\Ent\GoodEnt.blp", or even when a typo is correct: "Units\Demon\DoomGuard\Doomgaurd.blp". But there are also units that use prefix "Textures\", like "Textures\Keeperofthegrove", "Textures\HeroDemonHunter", "Textures\AzureDragon" and others. To see what's the correct path of each skin, use this tool, Warcraft III Image Extractor.

Level 28
Not necessarily. Tauren has a different path, and it's: "Units\Orc\Tauren\Minotaur.blp", just like Treant: "Units\NightElf\Ent\GoodEnt.blp", or even when a typo is correct: "Units\Demon\DoomGuard\Doomgaurd.blp". But there are also units that use prefix "Textures\", like "Textures\Keeperofthegrove", "Textures\HeroDemonHunter", "Textures\AzureDragon" and others. To see what's the correct path of each skin, use this tool, Warcraft III Image Extractor.

Right, I'm sorry... the "normal" path of a texture is "Units\Race\UnitName\UnitName.blp"
Well, using that tool is recommended, even when there are no exceptions (for typo's, like the doomguard).

Level 1
Umm im kinda linked here but not really i made my own skin for the Fel Warlock but when i import it and the FelWarlock's Model i get really confused because i dont know how to use the skin with the Model please help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.