• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Greetings! The player wants to be a world builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi all,

First off I want to say hello and introduce myself to the community,

I would also like to say while i have had NO interaction with anyone from this page I am in awe of this forums dedication, hard work, creativity and level thinking.

I would like to just briefly explain why I have waited 16 years to join the community in proper ask where everyone else sees the community going.

I have always thought of trying to get into map making for Warcraft III as my friends and I have been playing this game since 2003 and we have been addicted ever since. The idea of creating content and scenarios to play in seems wonderful, I held off though for Reforged was announced and thought that after its release it would herald a new age of Warcraft III creativity and expanded player base.

Alas this is not the case, so in my rage at having my official game raped and mutilated I have brought out an unmentionable copy and world editor and have decided to put my money where my mouth is and start making some maps, campaigns and learn how to keep War3 from being abused by activision.

I would like to ask what people of this forum are doing to keep their hopes alive for a proper reforging and what projects they are currently on.

one last note is that I would like to ask for some pointers and tutorials for how to get started on making quality maps and campaigns with the world editor.

I thank you all for your persistence and your patients in staying with the modding scene of warcraft III so that people like myself and my friends can still enjoy this god damn epic game.

Salute to you all my friends.

regards
mike

Level 20
one last note is that I would like to ask for some pointers and tutorials for how to get started on making quality maps and campaigns with the world editor
As @Daffa mentioned, there's a tutorial section where you can find a lot of really useful stuff. These three sections should be of interest to you as a beginner:

General Mapping Tutorials
Trigger (GUI) Editor Tutorials
Miscellaneous Tutorials

I'm not going to recommend any specific tutorials - it's better that you just browse the forums yourself and pick your own "lessons". But if you need some pointers, any basic/beginner tutorial, especially for general terraining and GUI, should be a pretty good starting point :)

As for general tips - remember that everyone was a beginner at some point. There's no shame in that :) In fact, I'd say that being new to the WE is actually when things are the most fun, because there's a ton of things for you to discover around every corner.

So, if I were to give a specific advice - experiment and have fun, take your time to learn and try solving your own problems. I'm not saying this because people won't want to help you, quite the opposite - feel free to ask, there's a lot of really helpful folks around here that will be happy to give you a hand. But when you try to overcome a problem yourself you will learn more than by having someone give you the answer straight away. It might take some time, but in time you will get there! :)

As for your first project... I know it's tempting to look at some of the best work out there and think that "I'm going to make something as awesome as that", but if you take up a very ambitious project then you might burn yourself out. It's fine to start small - remember, you can always come back to your work and improve or expand it :)

And one last thing, don't be afraid to share your work with people and once you do, don't be disheartened if your first couple of maps get a lot of critique. It's not because anyone wants to bring your down - it's because people want to give you feedback on how to get better. Treat it as such and like I've said - you'll get to the point where you'll be able to make some really cool stuff :)

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.