• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gothic I & II Fans, Gather!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
This is a thread for the fans of the world's best single player game, Gothic! This does not include Gothic 3, since 3 sucks and is gay. I really want to know who has actually played Gothic I or II, since it is an awesome, but relatively unknown game.

Personally I have played Gothic 1 twice, Gothic 2 twice with and twice without the AddOn. I seriously fucking love this game, it is like a god amongst RPGs, and so much better than TES. (Except 3, which sucks)

Post here if you have played Gothic I or II.

Level 10
Things that make Gothic 3 worse than 1 and 2:
-Bugs
-Game Crashes
-Boars could wipe out entire villages
-Lame items (10 mins gameplay and I got a firesword which is good enough to finish the game with!)
-Dull and really poor combat (stupid AI, clickfest, no challenge)
-Repetitive and tedious quests (going from city to city doing the same thing)
-Laggy and impossible to play on highest settings
-The "friends" of 1 & 2 are totally left out
-Weaker storyline, no atmosphere, different theme
-Lame NPC dialogues (some go as low as TES level)
-Soulless main character (the hero from 1 and 2 has turned into a different person, one without humour, sarcasm, emotion, a stereotype RPG hero)
-Mass slaughter without sense (just going around slaughtering orcs by the thousands)
-NO FACTIONS (do i even need to explain why this is bad?)

I could keep going, but let's just look at what is better in G3 than in 1 or 2:
-Better Graphics at cost of lag, gamecrashes and freezes
-Bigger worldmap
-Multiple endings (which doesnt fit to the fact that there is an expansion, wtf?!?)
-Longer gametime (this could really be seen as a bad thing considering that G3 sucks)
-Few new features like helmets, dual-wield, shields, but removed the old G1&2 system (why fix something that isn't broken!?)

You see my point. Gothic 3 is definitely the weakest link of the series. My favourite would still be Gothic 2: Night of the Raven. Better graphics really don't mean enhanced gameplay...

Level 13
Funny I never mentioned graphics or anything. I'm not saying that Gothic 3 was great or best of the series. I am just saying that it was good, especially compared to the other games that were released at it's time. Gothic 2 is still my favourite in the series. However Gothic 3 was also good.

Level 10
Meh, you are quite alone there. I am a dedicated fan, and I did play G3 to the end, but I just felt like the series had died with G3, which is actually quite true. Especially after the add-on was released and proved to be just as bad (bugs, crashes, etc), I knew that the Gothic Series had died...

It may have been better than some other RPGs, but that still doesn't make it good. Slightly better than shit is still shit. They should've just remade G1 with new Graphics, new quests and stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.