• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gnome By Elainiel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
This is a gnome warrior, guess we could call it fan art from wow, but actually it is made for a friend of mine. He has written a short book, and this is supposed to be the front page illustration. (Don't worry, it is no worldwide release, he would have gotten a better artist then me if that was the case D: )

Anyway, I'd love to get some critique on this piece of art.

I would be delighted if anyone know how I can get rid of those ugly black lines within the red circles on the second image. The piece inside the green circle is how I want it, but stupid as i may be sometimes, I forgot to use a different layer inside the red circles for the black lines. (inside the green I've first drawn black lines, to have some origin of the shading, and then lowered the opacity of them). But inside the red lines it is on the same layer as the art itself, so if I lower the opacity, the whole arms dissapear.
Anyone know how I could fix this?

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Gnome.jpg
    Gnome.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 179
  • GnomeNeedsFix.jpg
    GnomeNeedsFix.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 177
Level 7
to get rid of the black lines just paint it over with the brown colors on the arms/grey for the hand. simple is good :p

He looks very cartoony, dont know if it's meant or not but yeah
his right shoulderpad (his view) looks very good but stands out too much from the rest

Level 5
Hmm i think he is good just little improvment will make him GREAT! so i give 4/5 for now :):goblin_yeah:

Level 25
Ahh, lots of comments, lovely. Thanks everyone :)

@Warhog, yeah he is supposed to look quite cartoony. I could just paint over, but the shadings/color differs a lot in those spots, and in that case I would need to paint it all over again, so if there was any other way it would be good :)

@NfWar, haha, well, You should find it familiar :p yeah, I can see that. Thanks.

@Berz, Thanks, means a lot :) And yeah, I see your point.

@naga, such as?

@Eternalwow, such as?

@Dr.House, thanks a lot :) Well, I am not so good with poses yet. :(

Level 30
naga, asking for rep is pathetic and not allowed by rules. *off-topic

Really now?
-
I think you used burn and dodge. Don't do that.
The armor looks somewhat better than the rest of the drawing but it really clashes with the cartoony style of the rest.

The hair is wtf, so are the goggles and the face.
Odd lighting. Little to no detail on those parts.

The shading on bigger elements is really lacking. If it even exists, I'm not sure :3

About the lines, I can only suggest you paint over it. Just go over the lines with your base color (on the main layer) with about 60% transperancy and touch it up with a new layer.

+rep if I helped or if you think berzerker is a repwhore himself.

Level 30
Devine, well, thanks for such sincere and honest review. I see more flaws now that you pointed things out.

Sorry if it was a bit harsh. Your painting would look a lot better by just reworking the hair and the face. Maybe by adding some more shading on the bigger shapes.
It doesn't look bad at all. Should have said that too in my last post.

And yes I'm the biggest/ultra/superb whore now, happy?
I wasn't saying it was against the rules. What I ment was that it was ironic how you told him that.

Also, you didn't rep me, even though you agreed.

Level 25
Sorry if it was a bit harsh. Your painting would look a lot better by just reworking the hair and the face. Maybe by adding some more shading on the bigger shapes.
It doesn't look bad at all. Should have said that too in my last post.

Oh well, My comment sounded more depressed than it was supposed to, It was positive, not negative actually.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.