• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Game Component Concept]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This post is about a concept of an event of a game I'm going to develop.
This is a story where the player takes part when he is tutored into magic for the first time.

Disclaimer: Pictures were taken off Google, I own none of them.

You wake up in a void, nothing around you. You get up, as if you were on a solid surface.

You start to wander around, trying to figure out if there's anything that can help you figure where you are. You hear a whisper. The whisper keeps getting louder and louder. You can now understand what it says. After a few seconds, you hear a voice echo in your mind.

"<Character>, can you hear me? You are within your own mind. You need to create a foothold if you are to escape. Let me think..."

"Try this: Think of a place you know well. How about... <Location the character has been for the most>. You seem to know the area well."

attachment.php

The environment around you starts appearing piece by piece to form the location mentioned by the voice. (For the story, it's a forest)

"Good, we're making progress. Now, you need to grasp the energy of this place. How do you do that, you ask? Simply, feel it. Walk around. Peak around. Look at that tree, what about that bush over there?"

You move around and start looking at trees and watch birds as they fly around.

"Great! This should help out a lot. Wait... I'm feeling something..."

attachment.php

Ghosts appear in the forest, the spirits of every living being you killed in your (character's) life so far.

"Oh no, this cannot be good. <Character>, those things haunt you and block your ability to use the energy of this forest! You need to defeat them if you are to escape!"

Your attacks pass through them. They're ghosts after all.

"That will not work! You need to use the energy! Try imagining a rock forming off the ground in the air."

attachment.php

Your thought of a rock coming into existence makes it form in front of you.

"Yes, that's it! Use that!"

You proceed to attack every single ghost around. With each ghost you attack, you feel your arms getting weaker. You are no longer as agile as you used to be.

"You feel weak? Yes, that's natural. Those... things. They are what made you stronger, remember? Every single one of those, they are your strength. Slaying them gave you your powers."

Suddenly, ghosts appear to fight each other.

"Those ones feel that you are worthy of using your newfound powers."

The ghosts fight eachother until only the ones that fought for you remain.

"Okay, now, we need to get you out of there."

"Close your eyes and think of where you were before you fell asleep. That's right, you were at <Location you fell asleep at>. Now, get up!"

You wake up back at <Location you fell asleep at>.

You can feel nature calling to you.

attachment.php

"That wasn't so hard now, was it?"

The story itself can change in many forms depending on what the character does; essentially he is unlocking his powers spending xp instead of clicking on a talent or being "taught" a new skill by an NPC.

Dying to the ghosts will simply wake you up with XP lost equal to the ghosts you've killed. Losing XP that has been spent on powering up abilities and spells will start being weaker or not castable.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 194
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I think it would be much better if you have certain lower barriers to how much XP you can lose and how low an ability can b down graded. Losing XP and then having less powerful abilities is a big punch in the face on itself, no need to double-punish the player.
Maybe having steps to which to fall back to is good or having a maximum amount of XP to lose.
Dunno, I just don't like when games don't value your spent time.

I think it would be much better if you have certain lower barriers to how much XP you can lose and how low an ability can b down graded. Losing XP and then having less powerful abilities is a big punch in the face on itself, no need to double-punish the player.
Maybe having steps to which to fall back to is good or having a maximum amount of XP to lose.
Dunno, I just don't like when games don't value your spent time.

It's bad to have players lose progress. But a bit of it won't hurt.

How about the whole story?

Level 15
So is this a coma guy and it's gonna be like reverse inception out of his mind or some shit?

The whole ghost fighting thing seems to be basic telekinetic magic abilities and such. I assume the entire game will be physics based combat then?

Good luck doing the tiredness mechanics btw, it's difficult to show that.

Ghosts are difficult from a technical standpoint to pull off. Not sure if you really want an enemy like that.

So is this a coma guy and it's gonna be like reverse inception out of his mind or some shit?

The whole ghost fighting thing seems to be basic telekinetic magic abilities and such. I assume the entire game will be physics based combat then?

Good luck doing the tiredness mechanics btw, it's difficult to show that.

Ghosts are difficult from a technical standpoint to pull off. Not sure if you really want an enemy like that.
Why are they hard to pull off?

Status
Not open for further replies.