• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Game Capture for displayed player text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
eh not really becuz a buddy of mine made a program that will save codes to a program from the game displaying it keeping a full list, and ppl dont always use the same computer when playing so saving that file to their computer wouldn't always help them because they wouldn't even know of the files existence probably. Most ppl are pretty clueless with stuff like that. http://chf.ucoz.com/forum/41-3217-1
Anyway maybe this method of saving a file to their drive could work with this program too instead of capturing the text from the screen.
Becuz right now it doesn't work as perfect as it could becuz he had to use the program as it was instead of having the source code.

really, why not just hit Print screen?

because IMHO, if ur using a codeless system and the users don't know the existence of the text files, I doubt making something like an auto-print screen will help since they won't know that these files exist too...

All you really need to do is tell them that the files exist...

Level 13
i'll admit im a little ignorant of the subject. i'm using nes's code system at the moment and I've heard of this code-less I/O to the hdd but regardless if it saved on a txt file on the users computer or not it would still need to be in a code format or they could cheat the system by editing the txt file etc.

Also this txt file is auto saved to their comp right but can it be auto uploaded too? e.g a code can be retrieved from the text and inputted into the game at the start of the game? to be fully automatic save and load and would it take the bottom most recent code from the list?

as far as I know, I/O saves into the text file the actual code (so it's already a code)... and loads it from there when you invoke load command... I believe the files are on a player name basis or something

though how much usable it is right now, I don't know. especially since it seems that Nes left together with all of his resources

Level 13
yeah i saw that, that is a shame he left..

well i guess back to my main topic then anyone that knows anything about that screen text capture thing let me know :)
It basically captures all game text displayed to any players and gives it to you in text format. It is pretty useful.

Level 14
i'll admit im a little ignorant of the subject. i'm using nes's code system at the moment and I've heard of this code-less I/O to the hdd but regardless if it saved on a txt file on the users computer or not it would still need to be in a code format or they could cheat the system by editing the txt file etc.

If you are worried that people might cheat then its completely irrelevant how the code is saved. People dont cheat by editing the savecode, they simply edit the map. There is no way to avoid it, accept that. (unless you are writing a serversided saveload system, which is not an option for most projects)

though how much usable it is right now, I don't know. especially since it seems that Nes left together with all of his resources
Most of his stuff has never been very usable, but here you go:

https://github.com/nestharus/JASS/tree/master/jass/Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.