• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Game Caches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I'm a pretty experienced at triggering, and mapmaking all-around, so there's no need to treat me like a noob and tell me how to open the trigger editor (If I'm asking about game caches, I think I've figured that out already). Anyways, I've examined Blizzard's sample campaign (the game cache I'm trying to create is for a unit from one mission to another). I replicated what Blizzard did as closely as I could, but it doesn't seem to work. I've a suspicion that it saves correctely, as when I attempt to load the unit in the next mission, nothing appears. The problem with this is that I used Blizzard's actions so that if there is nothing within the cache, the unit will be created with my set of abilities. This portion of the trigger does not execute. Therefore, I'm going to conclude that the problem is with my restoration, and not the fact that nothing lies within the cache.

Is there anyone here who is experienced with game caches for campaigns who's willing to help out?

Level 9
terran you are defintly no noob only a noob would call you a noob mayby you might wanna PM DarkShadow he understands exactly how to make them

Level 13
First check my campaign tutorial: http://www.wc3sear.ch/viewtopic.php?t=1405

I guess the problem is that you either use different names for both game caches or that there's a typo in the labels/categories. And remember to save the cache after every action that changes something in there.

If you don't find the error after reading the tutorial, you can send the map by mail (or else) so I can have a look at the issue.

Level 7
That's pretty much what I've got. The only two problems I can think of is that I'm using spaces (which, as we speak, I am currently removing the spaces to see that that works), or that there is a mission between when I need to access the cache again (campaign so far goes: Mission 1, Mission 1 Cinematic, Mission 2). I'll post as soon as I get results from my next test.

Level 7
Yes, it must have been the spaces. I'm quite happy at the moment because it works. I'm also happy to learn that the heroes' experience is stored, and not their levels. I found this out b/c I've not yet tinkered with the gameplay constants for mission 2, but made it much harder to level in mission 1. As a result, the max level in mission 1 was 3 (as I had set it to be). Harraxe had gotten to level 3 in mission 1. When he was restored in mission 2, he was level 4 with about 3/8 the bar filled for experience. Just nice to know.

Just a few suggestions for things to add to your tutorial:

-Don't use spaces (lol)
-Mention the WCIII Demo Campaign, as there are very good examples of game caches there (that is how I got to where I was). The Demo map also helps b/c it has a few triggers to check if the cache contains anything. If it contains nothing, you can then go about and create a standard hero with your choice of abils, etc...

The tutorial was quite good though, even if it didn't help me.

Level 13
I'll definitly add the thing about spaces (never thought about it cause I never use spaces). Funny that WE doesn't complain when putting spaces there. I thought I mentioned the demo campaign somewhere, maybe I forgot it, will add it somewhere, too. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.