• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Freedom when it comes to making terrain from Lore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So.. if you have played WC3 at all, a person can tell that blizzard has made warcraft III one of the best lores ever.

However, the map i am making involves Northrend, and it is for WC3, however games like WoW put a completely new spin on Northrend in general, if i were to terrain Northrend, how much freedom am i entitled to when it comes to making Northrend? should i make it look like WoW, or show my own vision of what has happened to it?

Ive never played/seen the WoW Northrend other then gameplay pictures

Level 28
Fuck the WoW, orcs can have motorcycles there. :p

As Northrend does not really exists, so it is hard to have an agreement between all who are going to read this. But here is what I do about Northrend: I follow The Frozen Throne lore. I mean, there are rich, vivid and grassy tundras in WoW's Northrend! Go to north pole and check how many of those vegetation you can get.

Harsh, rocky, and chilling, that's my suggest!

Level 3
Nicely said.
Your terrain with your style not with the style of other ones.

Terrain should be unqiue and original and also well made.

Level 4
Northrend is very well done in WoW if you ignore Sholazar Basin and Crystalsong Forest (which are also very well done but don't fit in Northrend at all).

My suggestion is that you should never ever use blight at all; rather you should use icecrown dirt and rough dirt because their blue tint actually fits in with the snow and ice. You should also blend in some ashenvale grass and dirt along with some pine trees to make it look more like a tundra; that's how I like to think of it as opposed to a frozen wasteland. Of course the area around icecrown would be completely frozen, but the more southern parts should be like Canada :p

Level 36
Sholazar Basin and Crystalsong actually makes sence, Sholazar because of the five or so grand mountain/tower-ish pillars that fuck with the climate, most likely made by Freiya (or how its spelled) And Crystalsong forest I believe to be a side effect of Dalaran's arraival.

However I agree with you on that it is very well done, but I think all of it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.