• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Founding of Durotar, Rexxar skills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello everyone :)
I am completely new to this community so please excuse my incompetence.
I want to know if there is a way to change the skills of Rexxar from the bonus Campaign "Founding of Durotar" without actually changing the campaign itself. I take a great liking in this campaign, and I would love to be able to play it with a slightly different skill tree (for example a critical strike skill on rexxar would make me happy ^_^ )

Since no one is replying I take it that this is either too hard to do, or too simple to bother :D If either of those is the case, please respond :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 1
Get an MPQ editor, open up and browse through the mpq files in your Warcraft 3 folder with this. Locate and extract the maps named:

OrcX01.w3x
OrcX01_02.w3x
OrcX01_03.w3x
OrcX01_04.w3x
OrcX01_05.w3x

I believe they are located in war3x.mpq.

This is the main map and the submaps (dungeons) of The Founding of Durotar, part 1, "To Tame A Land". Part 2 and 3 are available in separate but similarly named maps, I think in war3patch.mpq

Now, using World Editor module Campaign Editor, you need to create a new custom campaign. Add the maps, setup the campaign, then use the campaign editor, NOT the map editor to edit the custom data (for example, Rexxar's abilities).

When I've tried this, it works as long as I don't edit the maps. As soon as I edit the main map, I break the transitions (the submaps load, but the heroes don't). I have no idea why this happens, unfortunately...

So with the meagre info I've given you, you can edit Rexxar's abilities, create your own abilities and so on - but you can't create triggered abilities, since triggers are built in to the maps. Perhaps someone more experienced with World Editor can explain how to circumvent this problem.

Level 3
Wow, these threads are old. Well, the heart of the problem is that the map triggers that cause transitions from one zone to the next are set to the original maps. To make your own editable campaign, you have to somehow change the triggers so that they'll go to your own custom maps rather than the original maps. Tried to do it myself, but could never get it working, and I'm a little surprised I haven't found anybody that's managed to solve this problem yet.

Get an MPQ editor, open up and browse through the mpq files in your Warcraft 3 folder with this. Locate and extract the maps named:

OrcX01.w3x
OrcX01_02.w3x
OrcX01_03.w3x
OrcX01_04.w3x
OrcX01_05.w3x

I believe they are located in war3x.mpq.

This is the main map and the submaps (dungeons) of The Founding of Durotar, part 1, "To Tame A Land". Part 2 and 3 are available in separate but similarly named maps, I think in war3patch.mpq

Now, using World Editor module Campaign Editor, you need to create a new custom campaign. Add the maps, setup the campaign, then use the campaign editor, NOT the map editor to edit the custom data (for example, Rexxar's abilities).

When I've tried this, it works as long as I don't edit the maps. As soon as I edit the main map, I break the transitions (the submaps load, but the heroes don't). I have no idea why this happens, unfortunately...

So with the meagre info I've given you, you can edit Rexxar's abilities, create your own abilities and so on - but you can't create triggered abilities, since triggers are built in to the maps. Perhaps someone more experienced with World Editor can explain how to circumvent this problem.

In order to circumvent triggers issue, the triggers must be shared across all maps. As noted by the after-post of yours, the issue is how the campaign being pinpointed.

Wow, these threads are old. Well, the heart of the problem is that the map triggers that cause transitions from one zone to the next are set to the original maps. To make your own editable campaign, you have to somehow change the triggers so that they'll go to your own custom maps rather than the original maps. Tried to do it myself, but could never get it working, and I'm a little surprised I haven't found anybody that's managed to solve this problem yet.

Actually, the key is in this line of trigger :
  • Game - Set next level to ...
You need to correct it's pointer to your campaign instead of default.

In addition, you need your own Cache to avoid collision and map breaks.

Level 28
Here is the answer you been looking for : Transitions in Campaigns Guide

Level 3
In order to circumvent triggers issue, the triggers must be shared across all maps. As noted by the after-post of yours, the issue is how the campaign being pinpointed.

Actually, the key is in this line of trigger :
  • Game - Set next level to ...
You need to correct it's pointer to your campaign instead of default.

In addition, you need your own Cache to avoid collision and map breaks.

While the 'Set next level' Trigger is what you need to change normally to make your campaign automatically move to the next level, I'm pretty sure that the Founding of Durotar campaign doesn't really use that, since you travel multiple times between different zones. There's no 'Set next level' because there's no guarantee what the next level will be.

Here is the answer you been looking for : Transitions in Campaigns Guide
While normally well and good, that seems to be geared for making your own custom campaign. It seems to be missing a lot of key elements in the bonus campaign, such as passing on the quests as well. Editing the Founding of Durotar campaign really needs something a bit more specific since the goal isn't to make your own triggers for transitions, but to edit already existing ones for yourself.

While the 'Set next level' Trigger is what you need to change normally to make your campaign automatically move to the next level, I'm pretty sure that the Founding of Durotar campaign doesn't really use that, since you travel multiple times between different zones. There's no 'Set next level' because there's no guarantee what the next level will be.

While normally well and good, that seems to be geared for making your own custom campaign. It seems to be missing a lot of key elements in the bonus campaign, such as passing on the quests as well. Editing the Founding of Durotar campaign really needs something a bit more specific since the goal isn't to make your own triggers for transitions, but to edit already existing ones for yourself.

Actually, they still use it. The campaign is kept in a way that there's a structurized map switches.

Level 3
Actually, they still use it. The campaign is kept in a way that there's a structurized map switches.
Really? Strange, I never saw it in the object manager when I was trying to make it work. I don't suppose you know exactly where it is and if anything else needs to be changed to make it work? I'd love to get a custom version of the bonus campaign working so I could share it with everyone who wants to make their own customized campaign.

Level 3
The function Set Next Level actually a necessary function in all campaign and is the function that allows the map switching itself. It's not just for the next level, it's the level switcher itself.
Yeah, because they're all linear, one mission to the next. The bonus campaign doesn't do this, it uses transitions instead, as the level doesn't actually end when you move to a different map.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Yeah, because they're all linear, one mission to the next. The bonus campaign doesn't do this, it uses transitions instead, as the level doesn't actually end when you move to a different map.
It loaded a new map when first entering an area. After that it restored the save of the map, transferring any new progress to it.

Level 3
It loaded a new map when first entering an area. After that it restored the save of the map, transferring any new progress to it.
Yeah, I know. The problem is customizing the triggers so that it loads the maps you want if you want to edit the campaign. I can never find out exactly how to do that.

Level 3
I have already explained everything here :

but if you can't figure out how it works, then try this Tutorial instead but I recommand the first one ^^

link : Transitions Among Campaign Maps
The people who look for threads like this aren't looking for a guide to make transitional campaign from scratch, they're looking for info on how to modify one that already exists. Call me doubtful, but I really don't think scrapping all the transferring triggers that the Founding Of Durotar maps already has, and then using that guide is gonna work very well. Does it transfer the quests? Things like that.

For most part, quests are saved as Booleans and converted as map changes. (Don't underestimate true false capability, haha)

The map is separated into 9 maps afair for first act (include all dungeons), so you need to have all 9 maps of your own version in hand first.

Then, find the next level trigger and change their targets. Also, make your own Cache.

There's a start for things like this. By far of all original campaign, FoD is the hardest one to remake

Level 3
For most part, quests are saved as Booleans and converted as map changes. (Don't underestimate true false capability, haha)

The map is separated into 9 maps afair for first act (include all dungeons), so you need to have all 9 maps of your own version in hand first.

Then, find the next level trigger and change their targets. Also, make your own Cache.

There's a start for things like this. By far of all original campaign, FoD is the hardest one to remake

You know, after consideration, I don't think that existing triggers for the mission data actually need to be changed. I guess I'll know if I ever get it working.
Okay, I looked through the first act of the FoD campaign, and for some reason I only see 5 maps, but everything still seems to check out, so I saved them with their own custom names. However I hit a bump when I went into the next level trigger folder. There's a pic, and it seems like the bonus campaign doesn't use 'Set next level' to change maps, there must be something else it does.

You know, I honestly thought that quite a lot of people would like to have their own variant of the bonus campaign that they could customize on their own. Apparently not. If I can get this working, I plan to put it up somewhere where anyone can download it. That way they don't have to go through all the trouble I did.

Attachments

• Next Level Run for Bonus Campaign.png
    Next Level Run for Bonus Campaign.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 329
Level 28
Okay, I looked through the first act of the FoD campaign, and for some reason I only see 5 maps, but everything still seems to check out, so I saved them with their own custom names. However I hit a bump when I went into the next level trigger folder. There's a pic, and it seems like the bonus campaign doesn't use 'Set next level' to change maps, there must be something else it does
What are you trying to do with that Trigger is to set your map to the next level, which means OrcX02.w3x (Act 2), but NOT to the sub-maps (e.g : OrcX01_01, OrcX01_02...etc) of Act 1. This is not how it works, in this kind of campaign we use ''Transition'' instead of ''Set Next Level''
This is how Blizzard made their strategy on FoD campaign (See TransitionTrigger and TransitionTrigger02 Attachement)

However, Blizzard's Techenical is very hard to understand, even I find myself in troubles with this method of Blizzard, Why? because Blizzard load maps directly from the MPQ folder. but as for costum campaigns you'll need to use your own triggers in order to load your maps and make transition between them, What I mean is ''The Path of your maps'', Personally, I followed @Starquizer method (See TransitionTrigger01), it is much easier and fast, I am also working on a costum camapign based on FoD.

Now you have two choices, either Blizzard's Techenical or @Starquizer's Method.

Attachments

• TransitionTrigger.png
    TransitionTrigger.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 291
  • TransitionTrigger01.png
    TransitionTrigger01.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 173
  • TransitionTrigger02.png
    TransitionTrigger02.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Level 3
What are you trying to do with that Trigger is to set your map to the next level, which means OrcX02.w3x (Act 2), but NOT to the sub-maps (e.g : OrcX01_01, OrcX01_02...etc) of Act 1. This is not how it works, in this kind of campaign we use ''Transition'' instead of ''Set Next Level''
This is how Blizzard made their strategy on FoD campaign (See TransitionTrigger and TransitionTrigger02 Attachement)

However, Blizzard's Techenical is very hard to understand, even I find myself in troubles with this method of Blizzard, Why? because Blizzard load maps directly from the MPQ folder. but as for costum campaigns you'll need to use your own triggers in order to load your maps and make transition between them, What I mean is ''The Path of your maps'', Personally, I followed @Starquizer method (See TransitionTrigger01), it is much easier and fast, I am also working on a costum camapign based on FoD.

Now you have two choices, either Blizzard's Techenical or @Starquizer's Method.
Guh, it looks like Starquizer's method has to scrap some of the existing triggers. I too afraid to try changing too much, I'm worried that I might delete something important, and have no idea what it is if it breaks the game. I tried my hand at the transitions already, and I could never get it to work, it always just never loaded and went back to the menus or the heroes just never appeared on the map transitioned to.
Is there seriously nobody who knows how to do this or has done it already?

Level 28
Also there is something I've almost forgot : the name of your campaign must be shorter as much as possible, if you're using more than 14 characters as a name for your costum campaign, you will always get back to the menu everytime you try to return to the initial Map.

Status
Not open for further replies.