• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Forest terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Well this forums been rather slow lately so I figure id post up a few screenshots of a map i've been working on. Its a forest dungeon in an RPG i may or may not finish. So far its one of 6 planned dungeons. Others include an immense cave (Planned on sewers but didnt come out the way i wanted), a volcano, mountain summit, arcane tower, underwater city, and a blood citadel (Map in outland, zomg cliche).

These maps are linked to a main world map, like the Rexxar campaign in Tft. I have a total of 12 heroes planned out, out of a total of 21. It pretty much works with 7 base classes and you can choose one of three subclasses for that class. (IE: Rogue ~ Assassin, Thief, and Monk
Wizard ~ Necro, Warlock, and Void Master
Holy Man ~ Priest, Zealot, and Paladin)
Each base class possesses a basic unique ability, while the subclasses have a 2nd base unique ability. Ecah subclass focuses on a specific area. The theif focuses on daggers and poisons, while the assassin focuses on stunlock and crippling attacks. The zealot relies on offensive strikes and spells while the paladin is more defensive, waiting on strong abilities to cooldown to deal damage.

sorry felt like rambling as my unsureness about this project keeps me from posting anything serious in map development forums.

Back to the Terrain:
1st Screenshot: The dungeon entrance. Nothing special here
2nd: The beginning path into the dungeon, the path to follow is fairly straightforward on this map.
3rd: A fallen tree branch. Fully pathable and walkable.
4th: The fountain of restoration sitting the middle of the forest. Must walk in water to cleans one's self.
5th. Running rapids emerging from the trunk (Don't ask). Be careful these dont sweep you away
6th. On the offchance youll get swept off, you will be teleported to this tunnel.
7th: A spider's lair behind a bed of thorns. Only the brave enter here.
8th: The wet ground after a recent rainfall. The corrupted roots have taken hold of this land.
9th: THe heart of the forest's evil. Dark satyrs manage this altar, using to amplify their control on the buried energies.
10th: A base of one of the tree trunks. Corrupted roots have begun suffocating this tree. Roots and Cliff fulling pathable.

There you have it. Let me know what you think

Attachments

• path.JPG
    path.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 330
  • branch.JPG
    branch.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 291
  • restor.JPG
    restor.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 320
  • rapids.JPG
    rapids.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Entrance.JPG
    Entrance.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 330
  • base.JPG
    base.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 289
  • Summon.JPG
    Summon.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 272
  • wetland.JPG
    wetland.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 297
  • web.JPG
    web.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 324
  • tunnel.JPG
    tunnel.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 304
Level 10
I liked it all except for the last three. . .something about the red makes it clash a little too much.

Might I ask what model you used for the spider webs?

Also, everything seems to be an aerial shot. . .how about some ground shots so we can see things more close up and personal? Thanks

+REP

-Deck

Level 8
Well the purpose of the red is supposed to be corruption overtaking the forest. I have a less darker version of the roots i can simply replace with a different doodad variation. I tried to make it so you have the normal roots, less red roots, and then dark red roots the further you got in the forest.

Everything on that map is blizzard doodads except for the trees. I simply used the webbed rocks and altered and placed them so only the web was showing (You can see the base of the rock jutting out a bit from the roots)

I tried to show the layout of the dungeon a bit with the screenshots, rather than taking pictures of things that look good, but wont be noticed by the player in game. I'll add closer screenshots in the original post in a sec

Level 8
I apologize for double posting, however due to cookie issues i can't seem to successfully edit my first post.

Here are a few new pictures:

1st: A view underneath the root bridge (I need to learn how to make a bridge walkable on and under lol)
2nd: Another view of one of the caves
3rd: A better view of the cliff jutting out from one of the roots
4th:A simple tree root
5th: Close up of the fountain of restor
6th: A small cliff in the forest
7th: One of the walkable roots near the briar patch
8th: The briar patch, deals damage when walked through
9th: Another view of the running water issuing forth from the tree

Attachments

• bridge2.JPG
    bridge2.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 174
  • cave.JPG
    cave.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 190
  • cliff.JPG
    cliff.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 185
  • cliff2.JPG
    cliff2.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 211
  • fountainn.JPG
    fountainn.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 153
  • swampout.JPG
    swampout.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 180
  • rooot.JPG
    rooot.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 218
  • thorns.JPG
    thorns.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 255
  • water.JPG
    water.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 186
Level 7
The red really screws it up.. And the bones in the first pick are unneeded and don't look good. Besides that its really nice.

Level 8
Haha yah youre right. Like i said though i wanted it to feel like the red was intruding on it, like theres something malevolent and alien in the forest. And of course red does give off a sense of evil. Its part of a storyline and I tried to make it like OMG SOMETHING BAD IS BREWING but you dont know what it is, you just get the feeling some serious shits about to go down. But now that im looking at it i can see what you mean. Like only one thing is red and it contrasts so much with the rest youre like wow ew.

With the bones I tried my best to imitate real forests and the cycles within them. Many animals just simply die or are killed in the forest and they decay right there, which is sort of what i tried to depict.

Thanks for the honest feedback though ill probably get rid of a lot of this but i still need to figure out what I'm going to replace the red with.

Level 25
Yeah, you should definately change the red thing to a darker color that will blend in with the terrain. Otherwise it just stands out and looks retarded. Those webs are cool and all, but you should size them down so we don't see every squared detail sticking out.

Level 8
2020 probably xD
Its coming along really slow due to school work and finally getting a car which = growing social life.

So far im halfway through terraining the 1st map and even have enterable buildings. I decided to separate the world map into several smaller maps that provide a lot more room, freedom, and quest possibilities.

I have 10 small quests (Out of a possible 20) already planned for the first map, including delivery quests, gathering quests, basic monster killing, and optional questlines that determine your standing with different factions (Like do you choose to kill the furbolgs guarding the resources? or offer to steal a town treasure during night and trade it for the resources, and then do you steal it back for the town afterwards? whether or not you get caught by authority in these quests determine your standing)

One of my major dillemas is how im going to go about the heroes. I've scrapped the idea of multiple heroes and chosen to just give one whos class you choose at the beginning. Each class will have 3 ability tech trees (similiar to Diablo 2). There will be a total of at least 12 available abilities and 3 ultimates per class divided by these 3 tech trees that you can level up. At the beginning of each map and possibly at certain waypoints, you will choose up to 4 abilities and one ultimate to use for the rest of the map.

I'm gonna try and make it so you can use a lot of these abilities as combos etc and im going to have to change a few for this.

I've been looking into JASS triggering and even started on Vexorians tutorials in learning, but I wont be good enough at it to do what i want to do in this map.
I'm going to do my best to finish the terraining/game designing on my own and if i'm unable to contiue i'll see if i can recruit a very skilled triggerer to finish it up. I'd ask for a team in project recruitment but my inconsistancy on these things doesnt keeps me from giving anyone hope on a dedicated project.

I enjoy designing things much much more than i do finish making them, so if i scrap this project i'll be happy to hand it over to someone who feels they can finish it

*Inhale* Long windedness :(

DeT

DeT

Level 2
really nice. i like it :)
i wuold play an RPG with terrain like this

Level 6
Hey demonsofdante, first off, let me say that this terrain looks amazing. I really like them. Second off i was wondring if you could send me the model of those pine looking trees you have been using. The ones that are smaller than the world tree and look like pines. You have abunch in the forest pathe screenie. It would look good in my map and is just wat i was looking for. Thx!!

Level 4
I would wish to see some few more pics, and you could maybe make some units that fit for the terrain... :D it is very nice done... GL and HF

Level 32
Stop bumping old threads you idiot.
dont call him an idiot...your the idiot for calling him an idiot why cant you just bypass it if you know its old...shesh such anger are you like 7 years old or something?
The name calling isn't really necessary guys:

The Hive Workshop > FAQ > THW Rules > [self="http://hiveworkshop.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_community"]Community Friendliness[/self]
The Hive is a friendly community: all users are expected to treat one another with dignity and respect.
When instructing others, please do so in a friendly way. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.