• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

For the Sin'Dorei

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I am reskinning the Blood Mage into...ahem
Another Blood Mage
However this one is based on this concept art and
Will be more Burning Crusade-esque
I need suggestions for the cape, hands :p, legs, and chest.
...Savvy?

Attachments

• poppin ma collar.JPG
    poppin ma collar.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 462
  • kaelthas.jpg
    kaelthas.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3,280
  • Blood Mage face WIP.JPG
    Blood Mage face WIP.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 537
Level 14
I say alpha the bottom of the cape into the shape of flames.
Then, shade upwards from that and add folds into the cape.

Really, from your inspiration picture, I think it would be silly to over-embellish the cape.
Just give it a unique shape and I think that would work nicely.

Level 18
True, looking at the concept, I do need to make the cheek bones a bit higher and more pronounced

Updated face

Update 2: Updated shoulders!

Attachments

• Blood Mage face WIP 2.JPG
    Blood Mage face WIP 2.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 412
  • Shoulda Lean.JPG
    Shoulda Lean.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Level 12
Okay, what you really need to learn to do is change the layout of a skin from the original blizzard one. I'm not saying you just edit the existing one for every skin, but for the skin and the skinning contest I have seen you just use the blizzard layout. Don't be afraid to stick with the existing skin, go out and change it thoroughly so in this case, it doesn't look like the wc3 bloodmage. I painted over the screenshot of the face to show what I mean. Go out and change the cheek structure, how his mouth is, where the light falls on his face. Also I think your glow is too strong. The concept's glow barely falls onto his cheeks.

I like what you did for the bottom pauldron, but for the top one I think you should either see how you can alpha it to be more like the part by his neck on the concept, or play around with it so you can make it look a little less like a little kid's drawing of wings, no offense of course. You might also want to change the color of the pauldrons so they don't look so plasticy, more gold/bronze like the concept.

The mantle looks really cool, leave that.

For the armor I'm not liking the bright red. Try a real dark maroon like what I painted over, and outline that with some gold to make it look like plates. I copied the bracer's design, and I think it would look cool if you did that. I know the chest unwrap is horrible, but it can be worked with.

Try to work on your colors. When you shade with a white like that it makes stuff look plasticy. Look at the colors on the concept's pauldron, how the brighter it gets it doesn't get whiter, but a different shade. Also look how the concept shaded the cape. Beeing able to manipulate colors like that is extremely important.

You don't have to follow my advice, much of it was opinionated, but if you do follow it, don't follow it exactly. Experiment around, no one will do something exactly the same, or have the same technique.

Attachments

• end be.jpg
    end be.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 313
Level 18
See camel
This is one of the best posts I have ever seen
You comment on everything I did
Made suggestions, and let me see your ideas on the model itself
I will definetely do some of the things you have mentioned
Great feedback sir, damn great feedback

Level 18
Don't worry, I'm in the same situation :)

Sorry if it's off topic this question: What happened to Illidan skin??

GOGO THE_END +REP

The Illidan skin is still there
I'm still playing with it, reskinning the weapons, face wrap, wings, etc
It will be done soon I believe
Why?
Looking to have Illidan make an appearance in ya mapski?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Most of the details are very blurry and don't have enough definition.

Level 12
Ffs you didn't change the face! How many times must I tell you to change the face? The face looks exactly like the old bloodmage's except with some eye glow that isn't even done right.

I am liking the legs and boots though. Also the chest looks nice, you worked around the unwrap very well.

The cape's folds are way too simple and unrealistic, I strongly suggest changing this also.

W00T!! finished, eh? i need this in my map111 nice 5/5!!!
[/N00b]
very niiiiiiiice indeed. what i really like is chest, which has horrifying wrap. Then rest of armor... and face can actualy be changed, look at wow models. There is one geoset for face. And what they change is skin. Skin decides if ur player will look nice or ugly etc. (i mean not ugly skin, but in real life)

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Okay, maybe it's just me, but I'm not seeing a difference in that latest face update and the face he had from post #9 in this thread.

The pupils are gone, but they've been gone since before the second page. I just really don't see significant enough of a change in this update.

Comparison
wha.JPG?

Level 18
..Chriz the update is 2 posts above you...
I'm not sure what picture you guys are looking at...
And yes sure, I have not changed the face greatly
But if the unit is still supposed to be a Blood Mage then why does the face need that many changes?
I can keep the facial structure almost the same

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Then what's the point of skinning him in the first place?

And I used that picture two posts above me in the comparison shot, the one on the right.

Level 32
The update looks good (even if minimal). Some questions:

How's the progress on the cape...do you plan to edit that portion of the texture more?

Can you show us another in-game from the back?

Do you plan to post the .blp so that we can download and test it?

Level 3
As for the cape, to make it look less plastic-like and boring without making it stand out too much, add ripples and waves to the texture. Cloth tends to bunch up. Rips and tears are also nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.