1. Are you planning to upload your awesome icon to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 8, 2018: The rules for the Icon Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

For Satyr Overlord

Submitted by Don Valentino
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
I draw this icon for the mod: Satyr Overlord by Wandering Soul

One of the models i liked, while waiting for its icon, so I've decided to make one myself instead. Hope you guys like and rate it. Thanks! :)

[​IMG]
Contents

For Satyr Overlord (Icon)

Reviews
Murlocologist
Glad to see effort, icon looks better and even fitting into wc3 environment. There are some areas that could be improved more, like adding some highlights on front of his hair and stronger color tones differences in overall, glowing eyes could use as...
  1. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Hmm, I think the old one is better than the new one. That's my opinion. It would become better if you add color or some effects to the background instead of a black background.

2. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I would get rid of that random thing on the left side of the icon and just make the units head instead, just like the reference pic. Other than that it looks pretty decent.

3. Eagle XI

Eagle XI

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    One half of its face should not be entirely in dark, appearing pitchblack, you can indicate shadow without doing that.

4. Don Valentino

Don Valentino

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Yes, the old one was better, that's because it's an icon from Blizzard. I just edited the picture with less effort. Would that still count as hurting copyright? I don't know, actually... so i painted a new one instead. But if it's legal i will upload the old one too. :)

Thanks, I shall edit it real soon. :)

That random thing was he's horns, I did had trouble making this icon to just to show he's horns which makes him special to the satyr race. Pretty soon i shall edit it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2017
  5. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    It is okay for his horn to be placed where you put it. The problem is however shading in overall. Add more values in that department. Black on his right side of face would be ok if this wasn't icon for wc3. Vanilla wc3 icons really rarely use such high contrast, so it would be good to draw that side as well instead of black shadow. More definition to his nose, cheeks and mouth would make it better too. If it isn't edited screenshot, it is drawn quite well to fit wc3 style.

6. Alexen

Alexen

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Both of them are awesome! They fit well the model. 5/5 good job :)

7. Don Valentino

Don Valentino

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Thank you very much!

8. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    is this freehand, or did you use a screenshot of the model?

either way, this is way too high contrast. looks almost cel-shaded. shading needs to be smoother, and colours slightly less bright/saturated. compare this icon to standard wc3 icons to see what i mean.

his nose is also very flat, i suggest googling some reference pics to see how to shape and shade a nose.

9. Don Valentino

Don Valentino

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Yes Sir, This is freehand. I shall fix the nose shading and de-saturate the color a bit. :)

10. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    good attitude (y)

also work on making the shading more smooth (but not to the point of being blurry). this is a good tutorial that might help you out.
    compare your icon constantly to default wc3 ones and try your best to mimic how they're shaded.

11. Don Valentino

Don Valentino

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Here is my new edited Icon plan compare to the old version. what do you think? NEW[​IMG] OLD[​IMG]

12. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    It needs more work. I'll go in depth a bit more this time.
    Only major difference in two versions it horn removal. And idk why you did remove it. All that had to be done with it was better definition, meaning applying shadow tones and drawing something less simple than three black lines on saturated blue/gray background. You can even go for giving it some texture, but in this state it looks very flat and unconvincing. The area where horns meet hair isn't realistically illustrated and is very much ruining the concept of his horns. Hair itself is good shape-wise. Eyes use one solid color and that won't work. They need to be shaded even if they are glowing. Color scheme wise I just don't see eye color to be fitting here. Hair uses too strong, too dominant and overwhelming red so that focal point for viewer becomes the hair instead of his eyes. Lines of mouth and nose should not be as thick as yours. I'd rather make eyes outline in that manner to make them more framed. Solid black should only be present in the background. Face details do exist but they are so blended that they are really hardly visible.
    So: add visible face details, get rid of thick lines, make eyes more defined, fix the horns and try to come up with more cohesive color scheme.

[​IMG]-shaded glowing eyes
    [​IMG]-red+green scheme

EDIT: I noticed filesize is quite big, you probably framed the icon yourself. Button manager ( www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/button-manager-v1-8-2.116280/ ) is usually used for resizing and icon frame. Usual size for 1 BTN and 1 DISBTN is around 7 kb when you frame it with button manager.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  13. Don Valentino

Don Valentino

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]-shaded glowing eyes
    [​IMG]-red+green scheme

EDIT: I noticed filesize is quite big, you probably framed the icon yourself. Button manager ( www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/button-manager-v1-8-2.116280/ ) is usually used for resizing and icon frame. Usual size for 1 BTN and 1 DISBTN is around 7 kb when you frame it with button manager.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Great advice Sir, With this I'll make a big improvement for this icon. It might take me long but i promise to finish what I've started :) Indeed I frame the icon myself. i only had photoshop and pen tool thats why. :p

14. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Glad to see effort, icon looks better and even fitting into wc3 environment. There are some areas that could be improved more, like adding some highlights on front of his hair and stronger color tones differences in overall, glowing eyes could use as well highlight. However is is surely approvable and I'll give it thumbs up.

For your other icon, those thorns now look like one of those showgirls' boa scarfs and they seem overwhelming in icon size. Make them thinner, spikes can remain in same scale. On the left side the thorn in-between is unnecessary, should go. Same is with thorn that is just above the thorn entangled around helm.

15. Don Valentino

Don Valentino

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Thank you Sir! Will do :)

16. xDeathKnightx

xDeathKnightx

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I like this, looks well done - The face reminds me a bit of a cats face, but beside that, nice icon.

17. Zirukurt01

Zirukurt01

Resources:
    Resources:
    It really fits. 5/5