• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Flying Height Orb Dropping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello Hive!

I'm trying to create a spell where a big ball of Fire is spawned at a height of 180 over a target area, and then slowly descends - dealing damage when it gets to the ground.

Trouble is, the model I use for the Fireball (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/orb-fire-106241/?prev=search%3Dorb%2520of%2520fire%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20%26u%3Dgeneral%2520frank) - by general Frank has some troublesome characteristics.

1. The model has a stand animation where its booping up and down, which makes the slow descent look odd, seeing as the bopping up cancels out the downwards movement, and so it seems to be standing still half the time, and moving fast downwards the other half.
2. And this is the main issue; the model has some kind of Z offset, so at 0 height it's hovering around 100-200'ish.

I tried fixing the second issue with a negative flying height, but this cannot be applied through triggers.
So then I tried making it an attatchment to a HeightDummyUnit which I found in another thread, and then lowering the attatchment point - but the orb would still not touch the ground.

So my request, or plead, is; Can anyone think of a trigger that could somehow force the orb to the ground? Or (and I know this thread is inappropiate) tell me how to change Z-offset of models?

This is my trigger at the moment:
  • Magefire Orb
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Magefire Orb
    • Actions
      • Set MFO_u1 = (Triggering unit)
      • Set MFO_Tempp1 = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Create 1 Magefire Orb for (Owner of MFO_u1) at MFO_Tempp1 facing Default building facing degrees
      • Set MFO_u2 = (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add a 10.01 second Generic expiration timer to MFO_u2
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of (Last created unit) using war3mapImported\OrbFireX.mdx
      • Custom script: call SetUnitAnimationByIndex(bj_lastCreatedUnit, 1)
      • -------- set 0 to an integer from 0 to 4 --------
      • -------- 0 is 0 1 is -100 2 is -200 etc --------
      • Animation - Change MFO_u2 flying height to 0.00 at 11.40
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_MFO_Tempp1)
- The Magefire Orb has the Height Dummy model, is movement type - fly, minimum height - 0.00 and default height - 380.00 (to account for the -200 of the orb)

Thanks for your attention
-Woodenplank/Battlehound

Edit: After further testing I've found the attachment doesn't work at all, can any1 advise on model edits? Or move this thread somewhere more appropiate?
Edit2: Found a different solution to my problem. Thread can be closed off now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.