• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Solved] Floating text strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 34
guys I have problem with floating text, where if I make several floating text periodicaly or in some triggers, and then store it into a variable, then I set the velocity, duration, etc, sometimes it wont work. sometimes the floating text just dissapeared suddenly and mysteriously. I have no idea how to solve this problem. please someone help me. :(

Kazeon

Level 34
I just write the example case. Dont need to post the trigger.

I only use about 7 floating text every second and it wont work correctly. :/

okay I will write the specific case
at trigger 1 (damage detector) I create floating text and set the velocity, lifespan to 2 seconds, etc
at trigger 2 (healthbar) I make the healthbar floating text dissapeared when the target dies, but strangely, the damage text dissapeared very soon after created.
I can't understand what's going wrong, I have store them into a variable too, but still...

Kazeon

Level 34
think about it, the only thing you can do with floating text is just store it as variable and then set the velocity , lifespan, etc. What else? I don't really need to post the trigger right? My trigger is just do the same. Just in different event. I'm just wondering about why did some floating texts dissapear strangely when I create them very periodicaly? My prediction is floating text is very fragile, where we can't use it too often.

Mark this thread as solved. Main problem is we have to create text no more than 100 at once.

Level 26
You said in trigger2, you make a text tag disappear. So you hide it or you destroy it. In any way may this affect text tags you did not want to depending on your implementation.

I suspect you save the text tag in a variable, overwrite the text tag, the variable still points to the same id and thereby hits the new object. Text tags are not agents, therefore not reference-counted, you can release their id even before all variables are gone and then have some new value in the variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.