• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

First Terrain Attempt about 10 mins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Kinda new to the site, but rather new to this sort of terrain mapping and I think its great !

Fixed and updated 2 of them :D

Terrain2-1.jpg

Terrain1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Level 6
They look good and very original, all you gotta do is add some more doodads to the forest one (flowers, shrubs, rocks, etc) and on the bottom one. You also probly needa make them a little less flat. The other thing which will help is in the editor when you're taking the screenshot hold ctrl and use the mouse scroll so that it doesn't cut off your pic. Other than that, nice work man

Level 34
I really like the top one. More doodads as people have said. As for the bottom one, well I really don't like it. Way to flat and symmetrical, I don't mind the crystals, but you need some ground variation (raise/lower). More doodads again in that one. The tops of the hills are barren, definitely need more doodads up there.

Level 25
If the bottom one is meant for an actual playable AoS, then I guess it is good enough. But for showcase purposes, I think you should've placed either a lot more crystals than that or use snowy Spires instead. Fog for both maps looks nice, but I enjoy white fog with snowy regions.
The first one is good, but has some annoyances in it; such as the little houses and the rocky tiles on the surface of the plateu. You should have also placed more Environment doodads and definately could have created a dense forest and a waterfall to make it look more... elvish.
Your flaw is that you fear to use too many doodads. As long as you place the doodads in good spots, it will be good to place over a hundred doodads in one screenshot. So feel free and place a bundle of dooads together that also go together. Like a forest of trees with shrubs, rocks, logs, river rushes(tinted darker) and bushes. Those would look good together. And never forget to make hill variation. It will make your terrain look real and won't look so boring. Never make pointy hills! EVER! Keep them smooth, even the mountains. Sometimes mountains are excused from being pointy, but it is highly recommended that you keep them looking smooth and tall.
~Craka_J

Level 25
The jungle is the major issue in this one. What makes a jungle? Well for starters you've made a palm tree forest (exotic atmosphere) and used vines as your tile. I think you over used the vines tile but it can be fixed easily by mixing grassy tiles with it so no big deal. Easy to hide too with lots of ferns, bushes, shrubs, and some Sunken Ruin rocks. Maybe populating the jungle with tiny creatures would make it look nice too. But a lot of environmental doodads will be fine enough as well.
In the background, the fortress looks great, but too small. You should add more to it and have it expand past the left and right side of the screenshot.
[DID YOU KNOW?]:
That you can increase/decrease your field of view by holding the Shift key and scrolling up/down at the same time?
~Craka_J

Level 34
[DID YOU KNOW?]:
That you can increase/decrease your field of view by holding the Shift key and scrolling up/down at the same time?
~Craka_J

Sweet, thanks =) Never knew this.

Level 34
I like the snowy area more now. I actually thought your first one of the NE was better. I really liked it. But good job on the snowy terrain.

Level 25
Yeah, blame the excessive amount of shrubery on me. I thought it was too much when I added a lot as well. But I did it to set and example that it is okay to use a lot of doodads to make your terrain look better. Empty terrains are just not at all impressive or interesting what-so-ever.
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.