• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

First model - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first model; I wanted to make something good for a modern type map.
This is what I have so far. I will need the textures, probably some of my own, but If I want something realistic, I guess I won't do it myself.
Tell me your thoughts.
It features a sliding door, providing extra interface within the game - it actually is a wall aspect. There are plenty of stuff to do, and I need your cooperation on this, because like I said, it's my first model.

lolen.png

Two questions:
- How do I add in-game effects within this scene? I need to convert them first, but, what about the textures?
- Will the lights within the scene be exported, when the actual model does, in the mdx format or am I supposed to do something special here?

I'd like to thank HappyCockroach for solving some questions of mine.

New WIP:

oven.png

This new model features an animated texture (that Hello on the screen) for a modern-type map of course.

Last edited:
Level 49
Well... I think those are far too detailed for WC3. You have to use less detailed shapes. Like, instead of a detailed window, use a plane(simple plane made of 2 triangles) with a texture, try to make everything more square-y and cube-ish, and don't use lights as they will most likely not be visible after exporting.

Ah, those lights is something I was afraid of :(
Well, I really don't know how low poly-count-wise should each object be, because I'm quite new to this.
So, there are some models, which provide lighting in-game, with different colors, e.g. green/red and such; it was a model made by WindexIsBack in thehelper.net. How did he make the model interract with the environmental lights in-game?
So, that oven for example is way too detailed? What should I fix? I really have no idea. I don't want them though to look too unrealistic on the other hand.

Thank you for the feedback!

Level 49
That oven is probably ~2000 polies fat... And I'm talking about square polies, not triangles. Most doodads in WC3 are about 150 polies or even less. TRIANGLE polies. Well, just try to do it as undetailed as possible. The whole point of WC3 modeling is smart usage of textures, e.g., let the texture do most of the work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.