• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Face number per Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I was attempting to make a WC3 model, just to see if I could more than any practical use for it, but how many of those triangular faces should it be limited to in order to preserve a reasonable file size.

Right now I am at 944 faces and only have a head and body modeled, although these are the most rounded parts of it, and I'm hoping this takes up the majority of the faces. So, is this the point of where I start running around like a headless chicken, trying to cut down on the poly-count, or am I still in the green?

I think I remember reading somewhere here that the throw away units are 500 faces, bigger units are 1000, and heroes 2000. Does that sound right?

Level 3
Sigh... thats what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll just delete its body and limit my unit to a floating, severed head now, which would really make no sense at all. Owell much thanks

Level 3
Oh it was indeed that detailed... But since you asked so nicely, I will show its current progress. Right now I've cut it down to 723 faces, and no, it is not spammed stacks. I have no idea what that is, but no stacks have been spammed in the process of making this. If 700-1200 is a good count for heroes, then I believe I can easily keep that limit since all it needs is legs, arms, and weapons.

I don't think it really matches any maps in WC3 - it's more of a personal experimentation to see how the modeling works. This is my first time using any 3d modeling program of this type (I use solidworks and ProE, but they are nothing like 3ds max 9), but if I like the finished result, I may make the rest of the series, plus enemy units and such.

As for a portrait view, that's not a bad idea, but I wanted to make that as the pilot shown in the cockpit, surrounded by his instruments if possible.

So far it has been a fun project to make, although I have only little time to work on it here and there. I would be happy though if anyone could offer any feedback on how it looks so far, or what improvements I could make. Later on, I may release the .max file if anyone is interested or thinks that they could help me improve on it.

Oh, and one-thousand cool points to whoever knows what it is :p
Note: Untextured at the moment, just basic colours used to give a very general idea of appearance

Attachments

• WZ.jpg
    WZ.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 86
Status
Not open for further replies.