• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Etiquette / best practices if an imported skin changes an imported model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hi, so i'm making a map with some custom races, and I have imported a lot of models and skins from this site. Some of the models use ingame textures. Sometimes an imported skin will change that texture, and sometimes the accidental end result of that turns out really cool.

For example, if you import -Grendel's sexy Faceless Saboteur model:
Faceless One Saboteur

..together with Denu's sexy Nazjatar Leviathan skin for the frost wyrm:
NazjatarLeviathan.blp

the skeletal bits on the Saboteur model turn into fishlike bits, which looks great and suits my purposes since i'm trying to make a faceless / octopus race.

grendelsaboteur-denunazjatarleviathan.jpg

Is this considered okay if both resources are free to use when credit is given to both artists, or should permission be asked specifically in each case? in other words does this fall under expected fair use or is it to be considered "editing" the model even though no active edit has been made?

Thanks for putting up all this great content, i've been like a kid in a toy store ever since i started coming to this site.

Level 13
Just credit both guys and everything will be fine.

It's a nice find, please share more if you find other models+skins that look very well together!

here's another one; HappyTauren and Anvil's Juggernaut..
Juggernaut

Combined with Dionesiist's The Empress..
Warden.blp

gets you a kind of angelic armored demon. The detail gets a little stretched so it doesn't look as slick as the other one, but still a neat effect i think. i reckon plenty of warden skins would make for nice variations to the Juggernaut model, which is already sweet to begin with.

happytaurenjuggernaut-dionesiistempress.jpg

Level 13
pure accident, thanks for the response. for all i know this could have been cleverly intended by the authors. i may eventually submit the map i'm importing these for but it will be a while if so. it's in a playable state but it's my first one so there's a lot of learning errors to clean up, spells to turn mui etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.