• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dynamic Cooldowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi hive, I'm trying to create a spell that can have its cooldown changed on cast, depending on external factors, such as spell power, etc. At first I thought this was impossible, but then Tides of Blood the other day, and there was a hero, Autumn's Emissary, that has a spell called Gone With The Wind, which has a cooldown that lowers the more spell power you have. The spell can even critical, to have an even decreased amount of cooldown! I would really know how they did it.

The only way I can think of is if they had an ability with like, 100 levels, each with a different cd, then set the cooldown based on spell power when you cast it, but this theory is flawed, because the Gone With The Wind spell in the Tides of Blood map is cast using a hero ability, and it would bug if you leveled the spell while it was on cooldown.

Level 12
I'm no expert but if I were to take a guess this would be my best bet.

Adding 100 spells seems bit over done but in a way it makes sense to achieve such a thing, probably unlikely but I'm just throwing out possibilitys

It would bug if you leveled the spell while it was on cooldown
Unless this spell is not on the hero at all (at the beginning) or (disabled) which can then be re-enabled

My best guess would be a [timer] or [dummy] is being used for each 100 spells once it gets close to when the spell cooldown ends it removes or disables that specific spell then adds or enables the next upgrade of that spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.