• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dungeon 3 Strats and Such

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So D3 is a pain. How many waves of Undead are there?

What I have come to learn so Far:

Party:
Druid
Bishop
Bishop
Crusader
Assassin

the first wave is cake. The Bishops have to shield and heal,

Second Wave: Bishop Uses 100 rage burst of light, DPS just kill the low hp zombies(Easy)

third wave: Bishop Uses 100 rage burst of light. DPS kil low hp mobs

4th wave: Pray...Bishops heal and Shield

5th wave....we are @$%@!

what people need to try:

5 bishop D3 runs!!!!

I plan on updating it, as I gain more experience in D3, and i hope you all contribute too!

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Remember that I NEVER had the chance to really test the balancing of D3, especially the defence event. The whole balancing is done completely by "feeling". It may happen that the event is almost impossible to beat. However, try to have more damage dealers in your group. That might help a lot. Especially a mage or a berserker, because of the AoE damage, but a hunter with multishot would also be great. Maybe the Crusader should also use two-handed weapons for that event in order to maximize the damage output.
Having 3 healers (2 bishops and 1 druid) is simply WAY TO MUCH for this event. Remember that this event is time-based, so you need DPS more than healing power.

Level 2
Berserker/squire, doesn't matter
Mage
Cleric w/ BoL

At first we needed 3 squire's, mage, cleric. Then we got to only needing 2 squires as we got more practice. Now we can 3 man it. We're all lvl 34'ish with Top Non-D3 gear.

Strategy to do Waves: Kinda easy. Have the tank shielded and have him take all aggro w/ shout. Then have Cleric DPS till he needs mend/heals/more shield. Same w/ the Sgt. The mage just DPS's and when he gets aggro the tank does his job and steals it.

BoL Wave 2 or 3 depending on how it's going. Then you can also BoL wave 6 or 7. Boss is joke.

Succubus: Clear out ALL the trash mobs from around her, just in case. Try to have it so tank has as much aggro as possible then when get Mark of Vampire you run around in a circle by that burnt down building to the left where the trash mobs where. This boss doesn't take that long.

The other boss is a bitch. If your Mage or Cleric gets 1 shotted it's not fun. But besides that, just kite the zombies he summons.

We haven't been able to figure out how to get the Urn yet so we haven't tried the fire boss.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Berserker/squire, doesn't matter
Mage
Cleric w/ BoL

At first we needed 3 squire's, mage, cleric. Then we got to only needing 2 squires as we got more practice. Now we can 3 man it. We're all lvl 34'ish with Top Non-D3 gear.

Strategy to do Waves: Kinda easy. Have the tank shielded and have him take all aggro w/ shout. Then have Cleric DPS till he needs mend/heals/more shield. Same w/ the Sgt. The mage just DPS's and when he gets aggro the tank does his job and steals it.

BoL Wave 2 or 3 depending on how it's going. Then you can also BoL wave 6 or 7. Boss is joke.

Succubus: Clear out ALL the trash mobs from around her, just in case. Try to have it so tank has as much aggro as possible then when get Mark of Vampire you run around in a circle by that burnt down building to the left where the trash mobs where. This boss doesn't take that long.

The other boss is a bitch. If your Mage or Cleric gets 1 shotted it's not fun. But besides that, just kite the zombies he summons.

We haven't been able to figure out how to get the Urn yet so we haven't tried the fire boss.
Thanks for being the first one proving me that the defence event is possible.

I might tweak the balancing a bit on sunday. Obviously, both Succubus and the Lieutenant are a little bit too easy. Especially when you think about that kiting was not intended for the Succubus ... ;)
I might increase her walk speed a little.
For Lord Andrazzar, I might reduce the shadowbolt's damage a bit. And just to go sure, I will increase the damage of The Blazing Flame ... as this encounter was really meant to be epic.

Please give me more feedback on the bosses, which setup you had and how hard you found them.

Level 2
Thanks for being the first one proving me that the defence event is possible.

I might tweak the balancing a bit on sunday. Obviously, both Succubus and the Lieutenant are a little bit too easy. Especially when you think about that kiting was not intended for the Succubus ... ;)
I might increase her walk speed a little.
For Lord Andrazzar, I might reduce the shadowbolt's damage a bit. And just to go sure, I will increase the damage of The Blazing Flame ... as this encounter was really meant to be epic.

Please give me more feedback on the bosses, which setup you had and how hard you found them.

The first wave is sufficiently difficult for non-experienced people. It's just that my friends and I have very good teamwork and skill so we do things better :).

As for the succubus, the only other method we've found to do her is with 2 squires. One holds aggro, gets marked and then runs away while the other taunts.

If you do in fact prevent kiting, then you should lower the Mark of Vampire tick, or allow it to be dispelled by the Mage, since that shit is imbalanced as fuck. 3600 per attack x roughly 5 attacks = full HP.

As for the other boss, besides the WTF 1 shotted mage w/ Shadowbolt, it's all good.

Oh, another thing. You can't stun/spell cancel for these two bosses. Strike/Shield Slam do not cancel the spells. As well as Taunt doesn't work on the Ancient Ghouls the 3rd boss summons.

I also have a question, is there any spell resistance in this game besides -resists? It's kinda annoying to be taking 30dmg from the mages in D1 when everything else does 1 damage melee.

~VJ

Last edited:
Level 5
We got to wave 7 before everything went badly our levels ranged from 32-33

Party:
2 Bishops
1 sorceror
1 Crusader
1 Berserker

Main strategy:
Choke point at bridge

Crusader and berserker keep them occupied, as each bishop takes care of one or the other. bishops and mage also grab agro of 1 or 2 at a time and kite them to soldiers.

Wave 3: same strat, warriors retreat to allow for 1 burst of Light:
wave 4: Burst of light
Wave 5: sorceror AOE
wave 6: same standard strategy:
Wave 7: both clerics Burst of light for combined damage.
Wave 7-8...obvious mistake and then wiped.

Level 2
There are 10 waves in total. Boss is real easy. However there seems to be a slight glitch with the second boss, inside the port. The succubus model boss requires 3 tanks to beat instead of 2 because of a glitch in the threat system. I cannot really explain it, you will have to try for yourself

Level 3
I don't believe there's anything wrong with the threat system. It was more because the taunt is not designed to create threat, but merely only diverge attention to you for a few seconds. Or you can also say that it does for a few seconds, but you lose that threat. Either way, it's more of the tanks knowledge of how to control their threat to even with your second tank's threat. That way it's easier to steal threat from each other. This fight is very similar to a lot of WoW boss fights, except in WoW taunt actually completely steals threat because it produces a lot of threat.

2 tanks is just a matter of timing your taunt right and knowing how to produce enough threat in the matter of a few seconds. Positioning also helps.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I just want to tell you that you guys still haven't found out the trick on the Succubus yet (without kiting). All I can say it: Check the tooltip of the mark of the vampire again and READ IT CAREFULLY. It does EXACTLY what it says ...
And maybe I should add, that it has only 5 charges ...

And no, you don't need more than one tank for the succubus.

Also, about the bosses being immune to stun and shield slam, as well as the ancient ghuls being immune to taunt: Working as intended. Those spells would make the encounters trivial.

Level 2
Ive been looking at all these dungeon setups and honestly i haven't seen one Monk(Or Necromancer) in there. But probably with good reason. I play a level 33 Monk with fairly bad items. Ive leveled his Constitution for HP and Agility for extra threat/damage and dodge/armor from Steel Body (No intellect). But as it turns out (IMHO) he is not a very efficient tank, he still gets raped from spells and doesnt have the threat building abilities that the Crusader/squire has nor the HP from items. He doesnt exactly shine in DPS either because, well, his DPS skills are much worse than those of actual DPS'rs. Obviously he is not a healer so im not going to go there. If he is meant to be an all-round class, then his spells shouldnt contradict each other (e.g Shields and healing rendered useless by Steel Body). Ive been experimenting other builds for the Monk such as giving it intellect for threat and stuff but nothing really works well. I would like to hear from another Monk player how he fares at d3.

Level 2
I don't believe there's anything wrong with the threat system. It was more because the taunt is not designed to create threat, but merely only diverge attention to you for a few seconds. Or you can also say that it does for a few seconds, but you lose that threat. Either way, it's more of the tanks knowledge of how to control their threat to even with your second tank's threat. That way it's easier to steal threat from each other. This fight is very similar to a lot of WoW boss fights, except in WoW taunt actually completely steals threat because it produces a lot of threat.

2 tanks is just a matter of timing your taunt right and knowing how to produce enough threat in the matter of a few seconds. Positioning also helps.

We tried keeping our threat even, but still she ran after the other tank. Our timing was flawless, and the only reason she ever healed was because of the little hiccup we have run into.

Level 3
Would not say it was flawless. But now that zwieb gave away a lot of information, it's clear that there was nothing buggy about that boss. It's best to look at tooltip now.

Last edited:
Level 3
Succubus 101.

Recommended Party Requirement.

1 Main Tank.
1 Main Healer
1 Off-Healer
2 DPS (or 1 dps and one off-tank.)

Two things you need to know on this boss.

1. Mark of the Vampire. A target marked has to run away from boss. There is a delay before she chases the target. In that time period. The mark target has to move away from the boss a bit in clear sight for everyone to see. Everyone has to attack that person until the mark goes away. This would only take 5 hits. Anyone who hits the target also gets healed. Helps the healer out.

2. Flame Strike. Very easy, get out of the circle.

Now doing this with 1 tank is possible. Probably easiest way also. Since the tank is the only one who should get marked. As soon as you see mark of vampire. Everyone hit the tank while the tank moves away from boss a bit. Then get back on the boss. The tank should have clear aggro of the boss the entire way through the fight.

Now doing this with 2 tanks. One tank should have clear aggro over boss. That means use all your heavy hits on boss first thing after you get the first mark. Second tank has to control aggro below the first tank, but taunt the boss as soon as the first tank gets marked. The taunt lasts 4 seconds. In that period you should kite away from the main tank, preferably towards the right side. This gives a little bit extra time for the rest of the party to gang rape bukkake the marked target. The main tank should run towards the left side until the mark is gone. The left side being the building you can circle around. Once the taunt is over, the Succubus will run towards the main tank again. At that time the mark should be gone after taking 5 hits from party members. The main tank needs to taunt he back and kite her back to her starting position. Rinse and repeat.

Now doing this with 3 tanks. Basically aggro doesn't matter. Whoever gets marked move back to get hit 5 times. While other two tanks take turn taunting. It can be very confusing. Probably the hardest of the three strat. And pointless.

Main Tank - You must at all time keep your aggro on her over 100%. It helps that after the first Mark of the Vampire that you blow all your heavy hits on her.

Off-Tank - If you are playing as off tank in a two or more tank situation, then your job is to taunt and kite her opposite direction of the Main Tank running with the Mark.

Main Healer - Keep The tanks bubble and mended at all time. Anyone can survive a flame strike if they are unlucky enough to not be able to get out in time if they are bubbled. This is considering they have at least 300-350+ health in the first place. Help hit the person with the Mark as last priority.

Off-Heals - Just make sure everyone is topped off while DPS-ing. Your main job is to hit the person with the Mark of Vampire.

DPS - Very important. You MUST focus on hitting off the Mark target. When there is no mark, you focus on DPS the boss. Hunter/Druid/Necro shines here. You can just use your pets to help hit the marked target. Necros have two skeles and they do very weak damage. You can easily just have the skeles hit the main tank the entire fight. He won't take much damage from them at the same time your party does not have to worry about the mark at all since the skeles handle that problem. If there is one wolf in the party just have wolf focus on hitting main tank.

HumbleSkills - Bishop

Last edited:
Level 3
Undead Wave 101.

Party requirement, but not necessarily have to be this way. This just makes it easier.

1 Main Tank
1 Off-Tank
2 DPS
1 Healer

Healer role - Keep everyone alive. Shield one tank, Mend the other. Then swap as soon as you feel the mend and shield wears out. The dps should need very little healing and they should be using potions. But toss a mend or shield if they do get into trouble. Make sure the commander is alive. He should lose health slowly, so toss a mend from time to time. As soon as you see your group needs extra resting time or you getting overwhelmed, toss your burst of light. Don't be afraid to spam it as soon as it cool downs or even with low rage.

Main tank role - Tank all the melee units, and stand in the front near the choke point but enough distance away from reinforcement to help. Try not to move too much.

Off tank role - Help the main tank split tank the melee and archers, but taunt any stray units that run loose on your healer and dps.

DPS role - If you are a rogue, you need to crowd control with your ward and mage with ice cage. Otherwise your role is to get on the archers asap at all time. Double team an archer one at a time. Use potion and don't get low or else you force your healer to have to waste heal/shield on you. Run back at anytime you are low for a heal.

In the case that your healer dies before the main boss comes. Anyone alive should take turn tanking and potioning until your healer rez.

HumbleSkills - Bishop

Last edited:
Level 2
Best tactic I have come across so far.

2 Crusaders
2 Assassins
1 Bishop

For waves: The crusaders form a line at the front of the bridge, and use shout to initially catch any mobs. They then use crucify, mass threat. In the mean time, because the crusaders need to stay in a line to catch any mobs that leak, Assassins need to go and kill the archers. If both assassins attack the same archer, they will fall in quick succession. Upon completing this, the assassins return to clean up the melee mobs that the crusaders are tanking. The bishop needs to keep the crusaders healed, if the assassins are quick they will not need to be shielded during the 9 first waves, only should they need healing on the tenth and final boss wave (which is stupidly easy). It is at the bishops choice when to use BoL, if at all. On wave 9, myself and the second crusader let a mob through without noticing, and it killed the bishop. In such a case, you need to survive 60 seconds without a heal. We managed this by nuking the trash mobs, and switch tanking the boss. We survive long enough switch tanking the boss for the bishop to resurrect and begin healing :)

Level 3
Lord Androzaar 101.

Recommended Party Requirement.

1 Tank
1 Main Healer
1 Off-Healer
2 DPS

This boss is fairly simple. It consists of two things. Tank and spank, and kiting. Is fairly easy with two bishops. It is a MUST requirement to spec high on constitution for this fight as for random shadow bolts can one hit ko you if you are low. This means for all you casters who spec for wisdom highly or for all you theives and hunters high on str for some odd reason. You should not attempt this boss. I suggest having a minimum hp cap of 300 to survive a bolt and perhaps random hits from spawned zombies. Though more is very helpful to bishops since spell cooldowns may be scarce.

It is very important that no one touches the zombie at all unless you are the kiter. The kiter must have aggro on the zombies simply by hitting them once or throwing a nuke. If you see any on the main tank, get it off him. Same for healer. Zombies are incredibly slow so it is easy to outrun them. You can kite them around the bottom fence in circles. Or kite them around the boss, every now and then throwing some dps on boss. A second bishop is perfect for kiting zombies.

Main Tank - You should be on Androzaar at all time. You should not worry about taunting zombies at all. Position the main boss where he meets you when you run in.

Main Healer - Your job is to focus on healing the main tank. He goes down, entire group goes down. Keep a close eye on keeping yourself alive too. If in a panic and your party is losing to zombies. Burst of Light everything and kite zombies while healing yourself and tank only. You should be positioned to the left side near the fence to help heal anyone who needs to run out to catch a bubble or mend.

Off Healer - Your job is to keep everyone else but the main tank healed. It would be beneficial if you kite the zombies so that the main healer doesn't have to. You can do this by hitting them. This is only considering that no one else has touched them.

DPS - Your job is to dps the boss only. Do not touch zombies. You should potion up every time he nukes you or you get low. It is very very important you don't use skills like split arrows or lightning bolt. If you aggro onto a zombie it gets harder for the healers since they have to start bubbling and healing everyone else but the tank. If you find that you are too low on health and potion is still on cooldown, run south behind the fence and wait for a heal. Or run to the left out of fence area, away from nuke range.

HumbleSkills - Bishop

Last edited:
Level 3
D3 - Partway

2 Bishop
1 Assassin
1 crusader
1 necro

We got past the wave attempt with alot of difficulty (took about 7 tries)

BOSS 1 - Vampire lady
we beat her but only by trapping her in the back of the arena

Boss 2 - UNGODLY MAGE
INCINERATE TOTALY RIPPED US APART
He Himself can to to much damage to fast with shadow bolt - that is how far we got so far...

Last edited:
Level 4
Um the waves are literally like simple lol, u can 3 man it.

What it comes down to is your rediculously low leveled/not many d2 items or something or just people arent tanking/dpsing/healing right not sure

If you cant make it past that you definitly wont be able to do any other bosses it just works like that so i suggest doing some d2 and getting like lvl 33+ with full items.

Level 2
can u give some instructions? lvl's ,classes,tactic?

Hmm.. i can tell you that if your able to kill avery other bosses of that dung you can also kill the firelord

one req.: Best you all get fire protection set. Its the key :)

Level 3
Hmm.. i can tell you that if your able to kill avery other bosses of that dung you can also kill the firelord

one req.: Best you all get fire protection set. Its the key :)

Thank you Madden. Obviously we didn't know that before! Thanks for pointing that out!

Level 3
Thank you Madden. Obviously we didn't know that before! Thanks for pointing that out!

^^Win for Humbleskills

But seriously, what are peoples strats for the initial pull? Start from top or bottom? Crus / Monk run past to pull Ashes to Ashes or everyone just dodge it on their own?

Level 4
I got a party of

2 berseker
2 bishop
1 sorcerer

all with full skills/ lvl 33 / non d3 full set

And i cant get by the bridge
we could manage do wave 8 but the CD of BOL got us screwd =/

Already managed diferente types of strategy that u guys have posted
I think this final d3 is quite imbalanced with low lvl mob that wont drop 1 poubt if xp...

Level 3
5 man wave part is proven to be overkill. People have done it with 3 man legitly. No gaspoede dupes or glitching required. You just need one good tank, 1 even better bishop, and 1 good dps who knows what they're doing. That's all it takes to 3 man this entire dungeon except for fire lord.

Level 2
Ok guys, here is a list of chars needed and strat for TBF (The Blazing Flame).
Absolute necessity chars to take :
Zerker as tank
2 Bishops, we have done it with 1 but it puts a hell of a lot of pressure on him.
Sorceress
Hunter
Can have either 2 sorcs or 2 hunters but its nice to have 1 of each.

Avoiding Ashes to Ashes is obviously important, you get hit by it and you die, no ifs butts or maybes.
But the key to this fight is how fast you kill the summoned adds. So having a sorc with full rage and Ligtning for the first adds is good, gives you lots of time before he resummons them. 2nd lot of adds should be revenged and barbed shot/mutlishot to take them down asap.

All casters should have Thurma robes, and Hunter, zerker should at least use the fire prot armour that drops in D3.

Sorc can dispel incinerate but as long as healer is on the ball, he is better of just blasting TBF.

Thats about it, iam not gonna tell you where to stand, as you should have some fun working those details out for yourselves.

best of luck all

As a final note, once you get the strat for TBF down, he really is not that hard, we have managed to 3 man him with a sorc, zerker and bishop.

Phsycotic - UsEast and UsWest

Level 3
As a final note, once you get the strat for TBF down, he really is not that hard, we have managed to 3 man him with a sorc, zerker and bishop.

Phsycotic - UsEast and UsWest

Well how sweet of you to give everyone our TBF strat Phsyc :p.

Just a little correction though if I might be so bold! When 3-manning TBF it is IMPERATIVE to have your DPS as sorc - hunter will not suffice. That said, after many failed attempts and much rage-farming for lightning strike, myself (As zerker) and Sorc + Bish buddy found that using lightning strike on the SECOND wave of adds is much more effective. The first set is controlled and everyone has full hp etc. so they can be downed efficiently, whereas the second wave is usually during ashes, full of chaos with people not at full hp etc.

Just to reiterate:

Party Compilation:
Zerker
Sorcerer
Bishop

Lightning Striking FIRST set of adds = 7 Wipes
Lightning Striking SECOND set of adds = Downed first try

And just in case someone out there is going "Omg they hax.. he's not possible to 3-man!!" Here's an SS; take it or leave it. This is myself (Reconcile) as Zerker, Raiden422 as Sorcerer and Delita_Hyral as Bishop.

Level 2
Nice screenie m8, lol, i was only giving tips away to 5 man not 3 but oh well. Grats on 3 manning him. Takes some effort to do it but well worth it for the boasting factor :)

Status
Not open for further replies.