• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dummy error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I have a problem with using dummy error messages. Dummy error messages are when you make the game display a modified inbuilt error message (not with a "Display message to (Force)" function), but through use of custom units and abilities, and a custom interface.

I based mine on "Must target a Gold Mine". I changed the message to "Must target an item carried by this hero".
Then, when a hero casts my spell on an item on the ground, a little dummy unit is created for the triggering player, which is then ordered to (Night Elf Ancient - Entangle Gold Mine) (the caster), which would then logically return the error message "Must target an item carried by this hero".

But it doesn't. As alternative, I tried giving Entangle Gold Mine to the caster and order him to entangle himself. It didn't work either. The message only appears when I do it manually.
I seriously can't figure out what the problem is, so if anyone has ever used a similar system successfully, I'd appreciate your help.

Don't be afraid to ask if this is confusing you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.