• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dominance Tournament

The greatest factions in the warcraft universe have been summoned to participate in a tournament to determine the fate of Azeroth! The winner takes all!

After both players have picked their factions, they each take control of 4 elite units, varying on the leader and faction they chose, a flying scout, 3 buildings and some gold. Train units from the barracks (or other faction-specific equivalent), casters from the church and upgrades from the castle. Send your units out to capture as many buildings as possible:
Gold Mines and Lumber Mills provide gold and lumber, respectively
Farms and Windmills provide food
Towers do what you would expect towers to do.
An in-game tutorial should explain things in detail.

Pick between 6 factions with 3 leaders each

"In a time when chaos and uncertainty reign, the Alliance remains steadfast in its determination to bring light to the darkest corners of the world."

The Alliance is a coalition formed of humans, dwarves, gnomes, night elves, draenei and worgen; its forces focus more on defense and health over damage; however, they should not be underestimated.
Leaders: High King Varian Wrynn, Priestess Tyrande Whisperwind, Archmage Jaina Proudmoore
r7T4Y.png

"In the Horde, action and strength are valued above diplomacy, and its leaders earn respect by the blade, wasting no time with politics."

The Horde is a loose coalition of orcs, trolls, tauren, forsaken, blood elves and goblins; its forces focus more on dealing damage over health.
Leaders: Warchief Garrosh Hellscream, Chieftain Vol'jin, Regent Lord Lor'themar Theron
pyudv.png

"Hear me now, you trembling mortals! I am your lord and master! Illidan reigns supreme!"

The forces serving Illidan are a blend of fel orcs, naga, blood elves and broken. Their melee units are very powerful.
Leaders: Illidan Stormrage, Lady Vashj, Kael'thas Sunstrider
G2PR2.png

"I have waited far too long for my revenge. Now the shadow of the Legion falls over this world. It is only a matter of time until all of your failed creation... is undone."

The Legion is a vast, innumerable army of demons who seek to destroy any trace of order in the universe. Their forces are capable of dealing incredible ammounts of damage at the cost of defense.
Leaders: The Avatar of Sargeras, Archimonde the Defiler, Kil'jaeden the Deceiver
ELYd5.png

"Ak'agthshi ma uhnish, ak'uq shg'cul vwahuhn! H'iwn iggksh Phquathi gag OOU KAAXTH SHUUL!"

The Old Gods are mysterious, godlike and greatly malefic entities which ruled in tyranny over the infant world of Azeroth before they were sequestered by the titanic Pantheon. Most of those who serve them are completely insane; hence their disregard for their health and the ability to sacrifice certain units for bonuses.
Leaders: General Vezax, Deathwing the Destroyer, Cho'gall
HnXHW.png

"The nerubian race, yes. Then the master came. As his influence spread, we made war upon him, foolishly believing we stood a chance. Many of us were slain and raised into undeath. In life I was a king. Today I am a crypt lord."

Composed of various undead under the iron rule of the Lich King, the Scourge forces are numerous, but poor in quality.
Leaders: Arthas the Lich King, Anub'arak, Kel'thuzad
LSkbl.png

Fixed a fairly major bug

Bug fixes
Illidari grunt now has Berserk like it properly should. Cost slightly increased.
Illidari raider cost slightly decreased.
Vargul Warrior icon replaced.
Improved the Single Player.
The closest gold mines now provide gold slightly faster for their respective players.

Added 2 new upgrades.
Replaced the Void Lord icon.
Lumber carts provide 20 lumber now, up from 15.
The Felbeast now destroys mana when attacking. Cost increased.
Changed how Sacrifice works on Fire Elementals due to errors.

Removed SeedinAethyr's suggestion (temporarily) due to game-breaking bugs

Bug fixes.
Implemented SeedinAethyr's suggestion.
Made a formerly unavailable upgrade available.

Added more upgrades.
Changed how the "Sacrifice" ability works on Fire Elementals.
Bug fixes and general polishing.
Added more text to the loading screen (finally).

Bug fixes.
Elite units slightly nerfed.

Added a few fail-safes.

Map Uploaded

Thanks to Pride of youtube.com/thesmokinggamer for his advice; you owe much of the Alliance faction to him!

Air Elemental - alfredx_sotn
Deathwing, Lich King - Kwaliti
Gnome Warlock - Nasrudin
Sargeras - Just_Spectating (koondad in WC3)
General Vezax - Dentothor with Misha and Just_Spectating
Vargul Warrior - Sellenisko
Garrosh - takakenji
Twilight's Hammer Battlemaster - Proxy
Legion Teleporter - Mephestrial
Geist - Fuzzyfury
Church - Ket
Varian - Tranquil
Dark Shaman - Clotaire
Legion Tower - HappyTauren
Altar of Storms - Red XIII
Worgen Assassin - Cavman
Bone Golem - Grendel
Assassin (Horde) - Uncle Fester
Voidlord - Callahan
Beholder - SuPa-
Molten Giant - Sin'dorei 300

Vargul Warrior - Kuhneghetz
Legion Tower - Happy Tauren
Worgen Assassin - Mr. Goblin
Beholder -SuPa-
Lich King - Kwaliti

Keywords:
Tournament, Sargeras, Kil'jaeden, Archimonde, Varian, Battle, Tyrande, Jaina, Garrosh, Vol'jin, Lor'themar, Vezax, Deathwing, Cho'gall, Arthas, Anub'a
Contents

Dominance Tournament (Map)

Reviews
14:59, 3rd Apr 2013 Orcnet: fine map for a 2 player game, map approved

M

14:59, 3rd Apr 2013
Orcnet: fine map for a 2 player game, map approved

Level 4
Well, can you give me some details? Looking at the triggers, everything seems to be working. Every cinematic has its end.
  • Keep in mind that the cinematic lasts 10 seconds for every player. Are you sure you didn't just alt+F4 before it was over?
  • Could you specify who picked his faction first? Player 1 or Player 2?
Edit: Added a few fail-safes that should fix any problem. Still not quite sure of the circumstances of said problem.

Last edited:
Level 4
I'm not sure if I picked first or second. I was player 1 and my friend was player 2 and after the cinematic started we went afk for like 5-7 minutes and came back and he was still stuck in it while I could go capture the field.

Level 16
I'd really like to see some screenshots of the terrain and gameplay. At the moment, they are only screenies of the heroes and matching circle of power.

Does not work for player 2. Player 2 is stuck in the pointless opening cinematic and is forced to alt F4.

1/5 vote for rejection.

Wasn't that a hasty conclusion to come to? Shame on you. Should have just said to fix it instead of leaving a negative comment on his map.

SeedinAethyr

Spam Moderator
Level 11
Dominance Tournament is quite a cool two player face off that has many cool features. At the beginning, the player chooses a race and a hero. There are a total of six races, each with three heroes. The race you choose defines which heroes you can choose, and it also defines what units you will spawn. The hero you choose determines which global bonus you get. It's quite cool how every hero has a short dialogue on who he is. It's also cool that the player starts off with four units that correspond to the hero. An example of this is that if you choose Anubarak, you start with four Crypt Lords. The hero you choose doesn't actively help you in battle, which is very different than many maps. I do have a suggestion though. When a player chooses his race, he has no chance to go back. For example, a player chooses the Old Gods. Then he says to himself, "No, wait, I wanted the Burning Legion!" Give the players a chance to go back before choosing a hero. Also, every race has a wide variety of customized units. There are many "regular" warcraft 3 units, but they have custom stats. There are also completely custom units such as Bone Golem. Now, the gameplay. I like how the player could capture buildings by destroying them, although I've seen it in games before. The cool and unique thing was that once a building is captured, it is customized to the player's race. A tower captured by the Undead would be a Spirit Tower. (Also, I think I found a bug. When I played as the Undead, captured buildings convert into Alliance AND Undead buildings. I would get a Scourge Ziggurat and an Alliance Farm.) A couple other things I liked was that singleplayer was possible, the grammar was pretty much perfect, and there was a pretty good tutorial.
(Another bug I found was that after I had alt tabbed to write this review I came back and I got four more Crypt Lords. that meant I had eight Crypt Lords in total. However, my computer opponent also got eight Worgen Assassins.)
I really like this game, even though it is only a one on one game.
I give you +rep and this map a rating of
5/5

Level 1
me and my friend are trying to play it but for some reason we cant get the circles of power to work, any reason why this is happening
Edited
Yep the fix u made has it working fine now

Last edited:
Level 4
Great map!, maybe two new factions should be added, Sentinels and Forsaken, that would remove Tyrande for the Alliance but would add a slot for a Worgen Hero, Genn Greymane, and the Sentinels would have Tyrande, Malfurion and Velen.

In the Forsaken would happen something similar, Lor'themar would be replaced for Baine Bloodhoof, and would have as leaders Sylvanas, Lor'themar and Rommath.

Level 4
The main idea about the factions that I followed is that the factions are basically the Alliance and Horde and their main enemies in World of Warcraft. Even leaving that aside, there's still a few problems left:
1. I prefer to stick to the lore; it's a little self-indulgence on my part.
2. Truth be told, I had a lot of difficulty finding enough units for all factions; I don't think I can create enough of them for the new factions while finding replacements for the Alliance and Horde; especially considering I only have so many models to work with and that I have to keep in mind that every faction should have about 3-4 ranged, 4-5 melee and 1 siege.

Thank you for the suggestion though! I may add some new factions in the future.

Sargeras is first of all titan, he lead whole army of titans (while defending worlds
he and his race created), champion of Pantheon order, created Burning Legion
(while trying to destroy worlds he and his race created)...

Even his avatar is so powerful that only ancient dragons had some small chance
fighting it, here, I see maybe only Lich King powerful enough to encounter him
(with his whole undead army).

Oh last but not least, in time when Illidan acquired Eye of the Sargeras, it was
unknown what happened with mighty titan, no one knows for sure is he still alive
roaming across twisted nether or maybe dead, if titan can be.

Sry this has nothing to do with your map, just with lore/story in background ;)
If interested you can found more on internet or wc3 books ;)

Level 4
I know; I've read all the books, the comics, the manga, you name it (Rise of the Horde is my favorite). I'm pretty sure Sargeras is alive though. Last we heard of him, his spirit escaped Medivh's body when Lothar killed him.
Anyway, that's one reason why I don't have any of the heroes actually fighting. Call it a stretch if you will, but let's just assume that this is part of the rules of the tournament and there's some magical barrier preventing anything too bad from happening.
As to why I picked Sargeras, I picked him because I needed 3 heroes that were important enough for each faction to act as leaders. Since Sargeras is described in lore to be able to burn everything nearby just by being there, I used his Avatar.

I know; I've read all the books, the comics, the manga, you name it (Rise of the Horde is my favorite). I'm pretty sure Sargeras is alive though. Last we heard of him, his spirit escaped Medivh's body when Lothar killed him.
Anyway, that's one reason why I don't have any of the heroes actually fighting. Call it a stretch if you will, but let's just assume that this is part of the rules of the tournament and there's some magical barrier preventing anything too bad from happening.
As to why I picked Sargeras, I picked him because I needed 3 heroes that were important enough for each faction to act as leaders. Since Sargeras is described in lore to be able to burn everything nearby just by being there, I used his Avatar.

You sir, are awesome. Finally someone who knows something about game and
lore he use to mode. I will test map and post suggestions later as well ;)

Level 3
Dominance Tournament is quite a cool two player face off that has many cool features. At the beginning, the player chooses a race and a hero. There are a total of six races, each with three heroes. The race you choose defines which heroes you can choose, and it also defines what units you will spawn. The hero you choose determines which global bonus you get. It's quite cool how every hero has a short dialogue on who he is. It's also cool that the player starts off with four units that correspond to the hero. An example of this is that if you choose Anubarak, you start with four Crypt Lords. The hero you choose doesn't actively help you in battle, which is very different than many maps. I do have a suggestion though. When a player chooses his race, he has no chance to go back. For example, a player chooses the Old Gods. Then he says to himself, "No, wait, I wanted the Burning Legion!" Give the players a chance to go back before choosing a hero. Also, every race has a wide variety of customized units. There are many "regular" warcraft 3 units, but they have custom stats. There are also completely custom units such as Bone Golem. Now, the gameplay. I like how the player could capture buildings by destroying them, although I've seen it in games before. The cool and unique thing was that once a building is captured, it is customized to the player's race. A tower captured by the Undead would be a Spirit Tower. (Also, I think I found a bug. When I played as the Undead, captured buildings convert into Alliance AND Undead buildings. I would get a Scourge Ziggurat and an Alliance Farm.) A couple other things I liked was that singleplayer was possible, the grammar was pretty much perfect, and there was a pretty good tutorial.
(Another bug I found was that after I had alt tabbed to write this review I came back and I got four more Crypt Lords. that meant I had eight Crypt Lords in total. However, my computer opponent also got eight Worgen Assassins.)
I really like this game, even though it is only a one on one game.
I give you +rep and this map a rating of
5/5

nice speech!