• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dialogue Buttons, Timers, and Pausing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have setup some dialogue boxes, and they work fine.
I have the dialogue box open at the start of the game (cant use map init so I set time to 0 seconds)
I want the game to be paused while players are choosing a button (but this doesnt seem possible??)
The timer I created doesn't seem to work with pause. When I set it to pause, everything freezes and I cant unpause

How can I make it so that:
- The game pauses while players decide which dialogue button to click
- If all players click a button in under 30 seconds, then activates the corresponding triggers and unpause the game
- If one (or more) players does not click one of the dialogue boxes, then automatically unpause after 30 seconds, and run the corresponding triggers
- I also want it to say "waiting for other players" when somebody has not clicked a button

Are these things easily accomplished, or would it require a lot of custom scripts? (Im kind of a newbie :))

Edit: I just found this Ready Check v1.1
Not sure if it helps with my pause/timer need though but it could be useful to combine them, idk

Last edited:
If you pause the game; timers will be paused, too.
Therefore you should not pause the game: instead you should freeze daytime, pause units and timers.
Or better start the timers/Units first after selection is finished.
There is this useful Action Un/Pause all Units.
Paused Units can not do anything.
  • Unit - Pause on all units
  • Game - Set time of day speed to 0.00% of the default speed

Edit: I just found this Ready Check v1.1
Not sure if it helps with my pause/timer need though but it could be useful to combine them, idk
Yeah use this System it does what you ask for.
Allows you to get the Votes, a duration limit for the vote.
I also want it to say "waiting for other players" when somebody has not clicked a button
You could do that by showing the remaining Vote time in a Timer Window, that way it should be visual that there is still voting.
If all have voted remove the Timer Window.

Hmm, in the demo:
Set RC_MaxDuration = 30.00​
has to be set before you call
Trigger - Run RC_Run (ignoring conditions)​
Then you can use:
Countdown-Timer - Create a timer window for (Last started timer) with title Vote Time​
Which would be have to be destroyed in the ONFinish demo
For your Stuff the OnFinish trigger should include
Event = 4

Level 6
Thanks!

Thats really annoying that we cant use gametime-pause, because unit-pause throws off some other things I had setup based on gametime, so I had to switch things around. Not a big deal but a gametime-pause would have been so much nicer.

I am working on quite a complex arrangement of dialogue buttons, its probably unnecessary for all the work I am going to have to do, especially since I've come to realize that certain things I wanted to do just aren't possible lol :( but I am on my way to making something really cool! :) I think I have been able to get most of what I wanted setup so far, I need to test it out a bit more to make sure its all good (im not 100% sure if the vote part is working, but I think it is) so now at least I can check this off my list and move on to the next thing lol

Edit:
I've been testing this "Total Ready_Count" to see if its working properly, but it doesnt seem to know when all players have voted, like if 4 out of 4 players vote it should skip the 30 second timer, or since I am testing in single player, it should work with 1 but it only works if I set "Yes_count = 1"

I tried doing: "Game - Integer = (Real((Number of players))" and "Integer = (Players in ((Count Players in Player Group" or "Players Controlled by User" in various ways, but no luck... not really sure why I cant do "X + Y + Z = Number of players" or even just "X = Number of players" ...??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.