• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Dialog-Help Tool, needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Hey guys, actually I got kinda borred and started working on a small tool to make dialog creation easier, since one can see placement etc.

Actually it looks something like this:

attachment.php

It features:
- Resolution can be choosen
- Generates the code which could be inserted into the galaxy editor

Since it's just a small tool much more isn't really needed ;), but if you think something could be added :)

In the current version dialogs are shown ass rectangles with a color you choose. And all dialogs are listed up in a tree so one gets an overview of what stuff is included

Attachments

• DialogHelper-Preview1.png
    DialogHelper-Preview1.png
    287.5 KB · Views: 236
Level 11
Useful tool. This would likely make setting up custom UI much easier/faster.

Would be nice if you could add in support for images, because some (such as the race borders) have transparent borders, meaning the actually image displayed does not appear to be the same size as the size you set it to. Look at "Assets\Textures\ui_frame_big_corner_topleft_protoss.dds" if you don't know what I mean by this. Also, rotating would be nice too.

However, I would like to point out that the size of dialog items is not measured in pixels. Just recently, I was testing to see what size image would fill up my entire screen, after noticing that an image that was 1440x900 pixels did not (which is my screen res). I found that the image filled up my screen at 1920x1200 pixels, which I found to be my screen resolution multiplied by 1.3repeating. Furthermore, when I changed the settings in SC2 to a different resolution and restarted, all my dialog items appeared in exactly the same positions - meaning that if someone is playing on a huge monitor, everything will appear to be extremely small regardless of how they change their settings.

I thought this was strange. So, I went to a friend and asked him to do the same thing I did. His monitor at the time was 1280x1024, but the image size that would fill up his entire screen was 1600x1280, which was his resolution multiplied by 1.25. To make matters worse, the function that returns the position of the mouse in pixels uses actual pixels, which, as shown by these tests, do not correspond to the relative size or position of dialog items.

Anyways, regardless of the failures of Blizzard, this seems like a very useful tool for designing custom UI.

Level 6
i did also start such a tool a time ago, but i stopped developing because i noticed that it needs to be absolutly perfect to be useful.
its quite hard to create a perfect preview of what it will look like ingame and make it productive.

anyways, good luck, but imo it could be very hard to create a tool that matches sc2 to 100% in output and is productive, thats why i asked blizzard to give us such a tool since it shouldn be a big deal for a big company like blizzard to add this.

with a tool that is integrated into the editor it would for example be possible to change the background image of a dialog directly in the gui designer and see how it looks like and so on.

Would be nice if you could add in support for images, because some (such as the race borders) have transparent borders, meaning the actually image displayed does not appear to be the same size as the size you set it to. Look at "Assets\Textures\ui_frame_big_corner_topleft_protoss.dds" if you don't know what I mean by this. Also, rotating would be nice too.

However, I would like to point out that the size of dialog items is not measured in pixels. Just recently, I was testing to see what size image would fill up my entire screen, after noticing that an image that was 1440x900 pixels did not (which is my screen res). I found that the image filled up my screen at 1920x1200 pixels, which I found to be my screen resolution multiplied by 1.3repeating. Furthermore, when I changed the settings in SC2 to a different resolution and restarted, all my dialog items appeared in exactly the same positions - meaning that if someone is playing on a huge monitor, everything will appear to be extremely small regardless of how they change their settings.

I thought this was strange. So, I went to a friend and asked him to do the same thing I did. His monitor at the time was 1280x1024, but the image size that would fill up his entire screen was 1600x1280, which was his resolution multiplied by 1.25. To make matters worse, the function that returns the position of the mouse in pixels uses actual pixels, which, as shown by these tests, do not correspond to the relative size or position of dialog items.

Anyways, regardless of the failures of Blizzard, this seems like a very useful tool for designing custom UI.
Ugh, i think that you should decrease it UNDER 1000*800

Level 16

hm if you are right, that would suck a bit :(

anyway, images can be supported and that was on my list

I keep working the next days so maybe I can release a first version next monday

Level 16
So did some more work on it, now supports nearly all item-types... except image, but only because I don't have a fitting image for test reasons now :p

attachment.php

I'm trying to find a way to speed up item adding, since actually one have to click 4buttons to create 1 :(

Attachments

• DialogHelper-Preview2.png
    DialogHelper-Preview2.png
    302.3 KB · Views: 194
Status
Not open for further replies.