• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Devour-like spell for flying creatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello, so I am building a Burning Legion race and trying to make it close to lore as possible whilst being Warcraft 3 in feel and Balance (well balance within reason lmao). One creature I am making as a flying crowd control unit is the Jailer. I plan to make an ability that allows it to basically have a devour-based ability at a range of 200 (so still not super long but close enough).

Issue I ran into:

It does the spell ok, it targets the creature in question (player 2 footman), but it doesn't devour him, it simply does the spell effect on it that I chose and does nothing.

Here is the Ability data:

Fk6WEqc.png

The only thing I can imagine is that it's something to do with devour as a function but idk see if you can make heads of tails, I've seen devour on flying Dragons before and I haven't changed much in functionality.

If you require any more info just ask, I have put Devour Cargo on the Jailor before that question comes in haha. The creature is based on the Bat Rider with a few edits to art but not stats.

Thanks in advance!

Level 2
I figured it out, Devour seems to not like ranges above 100, if there is a way to fix this I would love for someone to post it down below, but for now I will have to keep the range at 100.

Level 7
you can have a trigger that teleports the unit within 100 of the caster, then set the devour in motion

Level 2
That's a good idea, looks like i'll need to put triggers anyway for some spells I have planned rather than just changing default spells, it actually knocks out 2 problems I have that I didn't mention here, I want the effect to take 1 second of cast and show an effect around the "jailed" minion before it becomes fully jailed. I'll give that a try.

EDIT: Can't figure it when it comes to moving a target when targeted by a spell like this out but made a work-around so the spell effect works by instead making the art go on the caster and not the unit. Probably more balanced anyway.

Only issue now, even though I've selected the Air option for the devour effect, it still says "can't target" even if it's organic. How do you make Devour target air units?

Last edited:
Level 20
Sorry for necroposting but...

Only issue now, even though I've selected the Air option for the devour effect, it still says "can't target" even if it's organic. How do you make Devour target air units?
...i'm having the same issue. I need a Devour spell for air units and as much as i change "targeted as" for the victim or "targets allowed" for the ability, it just won't work and keeps saying "can't devour unit" or such.

Status
Not open for further replies.