• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Detect who is Host?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
i think the definition of host changed with sc2.

"host" now just means that you are the one who opened the map, not that you are actually HOSTING it. (because bnet does this now).

so i would say the host label is just active for the lobby to be able to kick players. i THINK ingame there is no difference between the players any more.

sry if im wrong with it but thats how id say it.

Level 12
Well it's even called "Lobby host", which implies that it is no in-game difference. If you wanted it for selecting game mod, it can be done through game attibutes/variants, which are settnigs accesible in lobby (although bugged a little), if you need it for anything else, "thank" Blizzard and find another way.

EDIT: One thing I can think of is creating game attribute called "Host slot", which the lobby host could modify to whatever slot he will place himself later. It's however a little unelegant solution.

Level 9
Even though there is no player who are the host, people might not want to select a random player as the one to select the modes or some other important stuff for the map. So luckily, for some reason, I found, that no matter how I put myself in the lobby (slot 1, 2, 3 and so on), if it's me who is the lobby host, I will always be player one in-game. So to get the lobby-host, simply use player one :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Getting the host is the easiest thing to do in SC2 as the host is always constant no matter what players are in the game.

The host will always be battlenet 2.0, thus no player is the host.

You can however use game varients and attributes in the lobby so there is no need of getting who is host as the game is pre set up. Additionally you could make a game master player attribute which only 1 player can choose.

Level 22
The plus of this is if you don't have a static IP you couldn't host a game - in war3 - but since you dont need to be a host ever cause bnet does it, you dont need a static IP. While this is plus imagine the minus of not being a host, you just gain the ability to do a little changes to team, you cant even kick.

Level 12
Exactly, you don't need static or non-static IP to host, you need a public IP. 99% of people have those (usually only wi-fi connections don't have public IP).
The problem with hosting is caused by router. If your computer is plugged in directly to the network, or you are able to set up your router correctly, then you can host.

Lobby leader will be the player #1 in 90% of cases, only if he gives the rights to someone else it will fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.