• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Desyncs on unit attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey everyone, as the title suggests, I am having some (for me at least), very weird desyncs when a unit is attacking. This means, they play the attack animation, you see the projectile and even before it hits, it desyncs. More infos on that 2 paragraphs below this.

I don't know how important it is to mention this but I started working on this map last November/December (2019). This means that I have been using the (new ? version of the) WC:R editor. I did not create it in the old or any special version of the world editor. Additionally I am using Vexorians Wc3mapoptimizer.
For like 30 versions ~ there were no problems at all. The game was working perfectly, everything went smoothly, no issues anywhere.

Then I continued to add content to my map and well. Suddenly 'older' units started to cause these problems. I've got 3 where the game suddenly throws everyone to the "game end" screen. Does that count as a desync? It just auto-defeats everyone. --The Map is a Tower Defense ( [Tower Defense] - Warhammer Medieval TD ) This desyncs only appear when one of these units attack and they only appear once you play with at least 3 people. It ONLY works, when everyone restarts the game. ~> I already thought about that the map optimizer would widgetize but many versions worked just perfectly.

To start off I'd like to focus on the simplest tower. He's called Handgunner. There is not a single trigger bound onto that unit and the unit has no abilities. I've also removed an important model, have recreated him and double checked all his values. It is a ranged unit and fires the normal "rifleman" attack animation and well. As mentioned above: The unit sees an enemy closing in and starts to attack. The projectile flys and just before it touches the enemy (most of the time its like 50-100 range away) the game freezes for 2-3 seconds and everyone gets booted to the scoreboard. Very very rarely you can see "player desynced" in the chatline, before you reach the scoreboard.
This unit is nothing more than a simple upgrade.

Here I am at a loss. I don't know what to change anymore and am thinking, that this is just blizzards fault at some point, because as I said.. I recreated the units and checked everything on them but welp. I am not sure with which information I shall provide you, but since it is just a total normal "tower"-based unit, I'll just drop the data from the object editor.

qAqC0nU.png

--
jegEU9f.png

--
fZZYClf.png

--
XnWproH.png

Attachments

• Testing.w3m
    32 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Level 21
First i would recreate the unit on a fresh map and make it attack a target, keep it as simple as possible.

but i'm pretty sure some sort of trigger is interfering here, guessing projectile system/damage detection?!

Level 2
Hey there and thanks for the quick reply!
Lets start off with the faster part: I haven't added a detection system, nor any other big systems. Everything, except some functions which remove postions (call remove..) are purely on gui!

And now the big part.
As you suggested I created a small debug map, where I ctrl + c and ctrl + v the units from the one map to the other. Without abilities or a single trigger (and I added some very minor and very simple details) and well it happened aswell.
However, to reproduce this error one has to do the following: Host the TD Map (link can be found above) on bnet with at least 3+ players and have a desync by having one of the faulty units. If it happens there it will also happen on the debug map I created (which will be added at the top post), when having at least 3 players in it.
I already tried to create the unit again from scratch in the debug map. I did not copy the values but added them by hand and well, it also happened again, the desync. In 10 cases everyone got kicked to the scoreboard but in 2 my two helping friends said that I just "desynced" and then the desyncs stopped appearing.

Well and now comes a part I can not understand at all. After these desyncs I said "hey lets go back to one of the earliest versions of the map and test the Handgunner there". We did that and guess what: Desync? Nope. After this little try we went back to the debug map and we also did not have any desyncs anymore... also not on the newest version of my my TD Map. But we only tested it as 3 and not with fullhouse again so the problem might have reappeared.

Attachments

• Testing.w3m
    32 KB · Views: 19
Status
Not open for further replies.