• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] Desync - map works for v1.38, identical codebase w/ only name changed to v1.39 desyncs when I build, but no desync when other dev bumps to v1.39??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey all, Ive recently teamed up with creator of Risk Europe to take over development on the map. Im new to map making but been in software dev for 8yrs now.

Ive browsed the forums and uncovered several possible causes for desyncs, but we uncovered something very strange last night.. with zero code/editor changes and only bumping version from 1.38 to 1.39 the other dev protects map and no desync issue occurs. If I do the exact same process on my end (bump only version and either protect myself/other dev protect) the desync issue is present.

There's several no-no's in the codebase, like GetLocalPlayer used - but its puzzeling why he can make a change that doesnt cause a crash, yet I cannot.

We're using ts->lua, and all the primary packages are the same version.. wondering if its something with my computer architecture as mentioned in one post on the forums - but this is very puzzling to me.

Has anyone experienced similar issues or have any recommendations on how to solve? Im hesitant to start modifying things like removing GetLocalPlayer if I cant even get the identical and working codebase of 1.38 to work when renamed to 1.39, yet he can just fine.. seems to be a machine issue on my end?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Compare system locales between you and the other developer. Although the Reforged developers did try their best to decouple system locale from how the game works it is possible some OS calls were missed resulting in nonsense or locale dependent behaviour.

System locale is the language used by the operating system. For example, if you live in Germany then chances are your operating system is set to German and will do conversions such as 11,111.11 -> 11.111,11 in some formating calls. World Editor was mostly verified for use with English US locale due to the nature of Blizzard being a US company, so it is possible other locales have unexpected behaviour.

Level 1
Thanks for your reply Dr Super Good. We're both in west coast USA and on windows 10 - Ill ask if theres any weird config he may have. Another point, I had a friend set up a dev environment on his computer and build the map and we had the same issue - leading me to think theres a simple step that Im missing being a dev, but new to map making or some package runs the transpilation from ts -> lua in a working fashion on his computer for xyz reason..

Anything else you'd check? Ive diffed both repos and extracted the unprotected maps and diffed the lua there and war3mapMisc.txt and both are identical outputs between our computers...

Status
Not open for further replies.