• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Destroying a struct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

I know when you call struct.destroy() it sets up a free spot in the actual array of integers and so when a new struct is made, that spot can be used up.

But I am still confused on this behavior below. Suppose I have some data structure which has struct members (an array or another struct). I then make a local struct, and set it to that member. What happens when I call destroy on the local struct afterwards? Will it also be the same as calling destroy on that actual struct member?

I ask this because I've had some funny behavior with some code. When I use local structs and destroy them, my global structs get messed up (the data gets overwritten). When I stopped destroying the local structs, my global structs worked fine. So I am guessing that you should not call destroy on a local struct unless you want its "reference" destroyed also.

JASS:
function foo takes myStruct s returns nothing
   local myStruct bar
   set bar = s
   call bar.destroy()
endfunction

So, would these be equivalent then, since they are the same underlying pointer/integer in the array managing myStruct?

JASS:
//s is some instance of myStruct
call foo(s)
call s.destroy()

Level 15
Yes both of the ways above are the same.
calling s.destroy() is better though since you don't use an extra function call.

@Shadowflare
Whenever you create a struct that you are never gonna use again it must be destroyed or you will leak a struct instance.

Ah that makes sense.

I wouldn't actually have such a function, it was just an example to test my question.

It's important to know, because some of my structs require 3-4 array accesses, and it'd be handy just to use a local struct variable and not have to worry about things.

Look at how unreadable this code is...
JASS:
if GetTriggeringRegion() == playerDatum[pid].quests[currQuest].goals[currQuestStage].goalRegion then

It's three array accesses plus a field method call. I did this because I wasn't sure how local structs behaved.

Status
Not open for further replies.