• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Desolate Wilderness [Survival] - Development/Recruitment Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Project:

wilderness-photo.jpg

Needed:
Boss Boss- Someone who likes to trigger and make cool mini-boss fights

**Combat Guru- I need either an idea person or else someone to actually help work on a simple, fun, and effective combat/pvp system

*Trigger Pro
- Either someone who can look over my GUI triggers and suggest improvements/corrections point out fixes- or someone who wants to add cool abilities (knockback). Whatever.

*Terrain-Polisher The map terrain looks a little... crazy. Maybe someone can blend things better than I can :)

Beta Testers- (eventually- but I have a few people already who said they'd help out here)

Table of Contents:

Intro
Background
Description
Screenshots
Features
Credits
Invitation

Intro:

I've just recently got back into playing wc3 and this would be the first map I've worked on- so it's a slow long grueling process and I've made a thousand mistakes along the way- but I'm enjoying it and have been helped out by all the various random resources and tutorials which are scattered around this and other sites. Thanks y'all.

Anyway, I may have bitten off more than I can chew - especially since I have school and work to deal with- which is why I'm needing to recruit anyone wanting to be involved and who I think we'll work well together. Noobs welcome! I am one too, this can be an excellent opportunity to learn map editing and I can point to needed tutorials. Of course, experienced map helpers are welcome-er :)

Background:

A desert-themed take on the (somewhat lesser known) 'Wilderness Survival' map genre/series. Inspiration is from whoever did 'Tom Brown's Wilderness Survival', Kuulgrphyon3's original, and especially Jay's continuation of the series (mostly 4.7- I haven't yet played the later version). Technically more FFA/Vs. Team RPG than a wave-based survival- these are nonetheless more focused on controlling just one hero and crafting weapons/gear/etc. from raw materials (sticks, rocks, etc.), fighting off wild beasts, and tracking/killing off your opponents.

Desolate Wilderness flips previous 'Wildy' titles mechanic of mana=cold on its head. Weather effects (predominately scorching desert heat during the day) effect movement/vision etc. but can be somewhat negated by certain clothing or else staying near a water source (well).

I have a longstanding interest in the Middle East, Deserts (where I've lived most my life), and camping/survival situations and put a lot of research into realistic historical/survival methods and crafting. However, although I do strive for a certain amount of realism - this is done mostly to make the game seem more rich- I'm not afraid to embrace more 'fantastical' elements such as referencing Dune and making shiny weapons.

Description:

Craft- Fight- Herd Goats- Mine- Forge- Harvest palms/cacti - Teamwork

2 Teams of up to 5 people- Or else 1 team soloing- in a desert divided by a mountain range which cuts across the middle of the map. Must compete to survive harsh desert conditions, wild animals (crocodiles in oasis, gazelle, wolves/jackals, cobras) and potentially mini-bosses (sandworms) before eventually squaring off to fight each other. Will you survive the scorched wilderness or become sandworm fodder?

No save/loading. Meant to be played in 1-2 hours. Teamwork and specialization more emphasized as a more effective strategy than just going about everything alone.
Everything is open/available to anyone (as everyone has the same hero)- but as it might be overwhelming to tackle everything some suggested advanced player-specialization strategies include:

• Mining/smelting 'Blacksmith'
  • Goat-herding /cloth-making 'Rancher/Tailor'
  • Hunting/gathering 'Warrior'
  • Crafting/organizer/delivery guy 'Support'
  • Harassing/scouting/thieving 'Thief'

Other Features:

• Complex crafting system (mostly finished- but I think I have to redo a lot if I want to make items stackable... I think that could be put off to a later update though)
  • over 25+ craftable weapons! Weapon classes include: Stone, Bone, Steel, Mythril and a hidden Legendary class Weapon Types: Axe, Sword, Dual, Range, Staff, Shield

'Weapon Class' for the most part reflects how the item is made (with what materials), its appearance, and its tier. Many advanced weapons are made from augmenting or combining lower tiered weapons.

'Weapon Type' determines what ability/extra functions that item has.
  1. Axes and Swords- RH- allow cutting down trees/cacti (axes more effective at harvesting but swords most effective melee weapon at hurting enemies)
  2. Dual (knives/daggers)- at least one is needed to shear goat's wool, high damage when used together, some have stealth abilities when used together too
  3. Range - ...are ranged, clickable item attack
  4. Staff- RH- These are hard to come by and have lower damage but have special abilities
  5. Shield- LH- these reduce damage or come with other special defensive abilities/properties
Your survivor can only hold one right-handed weapon (RH), one left-handed weapon (LH), and one ranged weapon at a time.

• Apparel/Armor

Apparel is made and then 'equipped' to the hero's inventory. They mostly have weather/enviro negating effects/ affect movement speed/ allow entry into specific areas. There are three items everyone can equip (gloves, boots, and scarf) and also four different/specific armor types to choose from- each having its own advantages/disadvantages.

• Hint system for noob friendliness (in progress)

List of required mechanics before beta version can be released:
  • Combat balancing
  • Item/enemy Spawn fixes

• Some ability fixes
  • Creeps /Enemies

Total Current Progress Estimate: 85%

Credits:
in progress

Screenshots:
(all quickly staged)
erupt.jpg
post%20erupt.jpg
croc.jpg
WC3ScrnShot_032817_160045_09.jpg
village.jpg
WC3ScrnShot_032817_160202_16.jpg
WC3ScrnShot_013017_224204_01.jpg

Project Invitation:

I'm pretty busy with school and work yet have made this a pretty serious hobby. I really want to finish the project while I still have fire left and really do need any help I can get. If not- I hope to eventually do everything but realize it may be a matter of time. I know something I will never get to (fitting UI- Music etc.) but that's not necessarily required to play either.

---

Anyway, if you're too busy to do any of those things please comment and give feedback! Anyone who has contributed to this project in any form may add a name for the survivor hero and/or a dog :)

Last edited:
Level 11
RIP this thread/project/forum.

Eh.. I should have just posted this in Map Development instead of this dead forum. Mods- I don't know how to summon you- but if you could move this then I'll be grateful and I'll edit the original post to be less 'recruitment'.

I got almost all the way through with this... and then finals/life/restlessness hit me hard. Also, my 'project' notebook, where I jot down notes/logs/unimplemented features, got damaged and so I'll have to start over on some things. Despite all that, I should be getting back to this as soon, just to have it done, once I finish one last essay. My personal deadline is to have a DWS Beta version up and running by the end of the month.

I still would appreciate help, particularly when it comes to icons and advanced terrain retouching, and I'll need some testers in the coming weeks. Everything else I'll get to eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.