• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dark Winter 1.0

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Ok this spell is a tad diffrent then most ive seen on here. Ive cleaned it up as much as possible.

Frost comes from 6 diffrent sides to the target point you cast at when the frost all collides it goes back to where it came.

The spell can be casted from a range...and its range is as easy as setting the original spells...*not the dummys spell* cast range higher.

IF you do want to use this spell in any of ur maps or edit it and make it fancier...just ask me plOX...

ENJOY!

Btw...If this spell idea is liked i will work on adding more levels and effects.

Keywords:
Frost, winter, shockwave, eye, candy, effect.
Contents

Dark Winter (Map)

Reviews
22:10, 10th Sep 2009 Dr Super Good: Spell is not MUI. All spells must stuppot an unreasonable ammount of MUI to be approved. Do to the above reason, the spell has been rejected until you update it with the issue addressed.

M

22:10, 10th Sep 2009
Dr Super Good:
Spell is not MUI. All spells must stuppot an unreasonable ammount of MUI to be approved.

Do to the above reason, the spell has been rejected until you update it with the issue addressed.

Level 12
Level 4
Well honestly...I wanted to make it so if the unit is hit by the frost it freezes them solid...but in order to do that i need to have a buff placed on the unit and i cant figure a way to do that =\.
Btw im just starting to learn and cleanup loops with integer a's.
Also i want to find a way to have the ice rotate around in a circle as it moves in and out but idk how.

Level 12
Honestly, I wouldn't use Shockwave or any other blizz standard for any spell. You can make completely adjustable sockwave spells fully in GUI (with the exception of leak clean, ofcourse). By adjustable I mean angle, distance, damage, additional effects*, and even if you want it to move like a snake. It's all about using a periodic trigger (trigger with the event "Time - Every X seconds") to set new points, then moving your dummy effect unit to those points. To get the desired effects, you want to use Polar Offset points, that way you can decide the angle in which the wave moves. i.e., rotating in a circle.

*By additional effects, I mean like what we talked about, freezing units that the wave passes through. All you need to do is pick the units within ~75-125 AoE of the current location of the dummy effect and make a new dummy unit to cast some sort of stun/entangle spell.
If you need help with any of the above suggestions, feel free to ask me, I really am open to help new triggerers make the best of their abilities.

Level 12
Yes indeedy, which is why dummy units are beautiful, and so is the "Unit - Move unit instantly to point" action. Catch my drift?

Basically make the spell effect a dummy unit with that effect as a model, then in your periodic trigger you set the point relative to itself with a polar projection and then move your dummy unit effect to the specified point.

Level 12
The best way to move dummy uniys for an adjustable shockwave isn't to order the unit to move somewhere after you've made it, you want to move it manually with a set of actions similar to this:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.03 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set angle = (angle + 3.00)
      • Set dummy_point = (Position of dummy)
      • Set move_point = (dummy_point offset by 35.00 towards angle degrees)
      • Unit - Move dummy instantly to move_point
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_dummy_point)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_move_point)
Now what this is doing is setting the desired angle of movement relative to istelf +3, which means that every .03 seconds that this trigger is active, the dummy's path will turn by 3 degrees.
Then the trigger stores the point that the dummy is currently located. This point isn't really used, but it's important for the next action.
It then sets the next point (move_point) ahead by 35 units, towards the angle we set before. Then the dummy is moved to the specified point by an action. Therefor, every .03 seconds this trigger is active, the dummy will be moved ahead by 35 units towards whatever angle the current variable is set to, creating a manual form of movement.
Because the angle is adjusted before before the dummy's next point is set, the shockwave will not move straight. It will curve to the right by 3 degrees every .03 seconds. That way, the shockwave has been adjusted to move at a curve.
(Keep in mind that the dummy unit represents the effect of the shockwave alone, the dummy is not performing any order and is only a visual effect)

The next question, to slow, just pick every unit within 75~150 of the current location of your dummy effect (in the previous trigger, that would be "dummy_point") and then create an invisible dummy which will cast a slow/stun on the selected unit group. It will happen every .03 seconds so the units will be checked frequently enough to make it appear that the dummy unit effect is the thing that slows/damages the enemies, when in reality, all those actions are done manually by trigger.

Level 4
Well thank you very much for the spiral arround...2 quick things

2nd...how could i create a dummy to cast slow on them alll....like a mass slow? or mass polymorph?

(Edit) Ok i learned how to make it go in and out...but now i have new questions lol It sometimes spirals out...and sometimes spirals in...why? Also how could i make multiple dummies do this together simultaneously

Level 12
Well, you need to make your whole spell MUI, which is explained how to be done easily in the tutorial I posted in my first post. As for the spiraling in/out, I can't help you until I can see what you've done with the triggering. First make your spell MUI by using the tutorial, then update your spell and I will check it to see what mistake is causing it to bug.

Lastly, to make them all slowed, you don't use just one dummy. You pick every unit within X range of the current point of the effect, then in the loop actions (meaning it happens more than once) you set a point, create a dummy, add a ~2.00 sec expiration timer to the dummy, add some sort of ability based off of regular slow to the dummy, then order the dummy to slow (Picked Unit).

This means that for every single unit that gets picked in the group, a dummy will pop up and slow it, thus slowing every single unit the dummy effect passes through.

Level 15
Concept is not that impressive, not that unique either I'm sorry to say. Anyone could make this within 5 minutes. You should also make the spell only damage enemy units once per instance, which would require you to code the whole spell again.

Coding ... you need to learn. Some pointers:
- Begins casting ability is before mana and CD go into effect, use starts effect of an ability
- Waits are not accurate, your wait is not 3.40 seconds, its a bit off.