Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

damage dealing technical logical problem

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by best_player_88, Sep 10, 2020.

1. best_player_88

best_player_88

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I tried to create a map that does extra damage whenever a hero is attacking
    But there is a technical logical error - that does not cause a game crash and does work, but is laggy because of the technicalities

Trigger = Unit is being damaged
    Action =
    Deal damage using a dummy unit to that unit based on the damaging unit's intelligance.
    now do other actions

Problem:
    Damage is dealt => damage is then dealt by dummy unit => that active the same trigger a second time before finishing the first trigger

This is not a loop, but it is technically a massive error since I am forcing the same trigger (damage is being dealt) to work twice midway of activation. There is a noticable lag and it might cause the gpu to run harder because of the technical "loop" Ive been thinking about it for a week now but I don't know how to avoid it.

Has anyone ever done something like this in the past? I mean, the extra damage must come from some ability or come as a raw damage bonus to avoid this kind of error am I wrong?

2. Whitewolf8

Whitewolf8

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Turning the trigger off before it actually runs, then turning it back on after it finishes should fix it I think.

3. DoomBlade

DoomBlade

Resources:
    Resources:
    Events - Whatever
    Conditions - Whatever
    Actions

Trigger (turn off this trigger)
    --do actions--
    Trigger (turn on this trigger)

EDIT: This is needed to avoid infinite loops :)

4. HerlySQR

HerlySQR

Resources:
    Resources:
    Or you can make the trigger only works for certain type of units or not work for the dummy.

5. best_player_88

best_player_88

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Technically still a logical error since you ask something from the trigger midway execution
    Amazing way to solve it

My way to solve it was = I replaced the damage with actual hp removal and made a hashtable to each unit with "last owner of damager unit" then when the unit is dead and the killing unit is no unit , the actual last damager is getting rawarded.

Yours was way better tho xD

6. HerlySQR

HerlySQR

Resources:
    Resources:
    Triggers don't execute two times at the same time, if it runs again it would take it as a separate action, thats the reason why exists local variables.
    But, anyway, I think is better the trigger doesn't run to run and check (less actions), but it will be difficult determine the exact time to turn on the trigger again.

Edit: Nah, Its a better solution, you don't need to add a wait.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020