• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Unit Doest Not Appear in Techtree Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I have created a custom unit based on the Footman - the editor fields relating to Race, Campaign Unit Type, Special Unit Type, Placeable in Editor etc. have not been modified at all.

However, this unit does not appear under the Human Techtree - I am trying to restrict the training of this unit until a Berserker type upgrade is researched.

Other custom units based on the Footman work fine and appear in the custom Techtree options.

What dictates which units go/don't go into the Techtree folder of a race? Chancing the Race and similar fields has no effect.

I know I can restrict the training of a unit via triggers, which I have done, but I am not sure the Berserker upgrade will work without the use of another trigger to re-enable to unit.

Level 11
shouldn't you just add the techthree requirement of the upgrade on the unit's object editor data page?

You misunderstood the topic. This is about making units/buildings completely unavailable until a research is done - not appear grayed out due to a techtree requirement not being met. Do you see the Troll Berserker icon greyed out in the Orc Barracks before you research the Berserker upgrade? No, it is completely invisible.

It's what Blizzard used to limit the training of certain units in the Campaign (eg. you couldn't train Knights in the second Chapter of the Human Campaign).

The tool in question is under Scenario - Techtree Requirements. Most custom/standard units appear here, organized in Folders by race (Human, Neutral, Naga etc.) The problem is that this one custom unit does not appear in any of these folders.

Level 12
Ok.

If it works with the other footmen, have you tried to copy the unit to a new map and see if it work?

If it's something wrong the unit itself I guess you can just make a new one, but if it's the map you might have to find the underlying problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok. While I was writing this I thought of something.

I just tried it myself, I made a copy of a footman and changed the name. This unit didn't show up. Afterwards I changed so the unit could be trained by the human barracks and voila, it showed up.

So take a look, maybe your unit can't be trained by any building, so naturally it wouldn't show up in the tech tree because even though the unit exist there's no way to access it in the game, hence no need to distinguish whether or not it should be allowed to be built.

Status
Not open for further replies.