• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Crowd-Sourced AoS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdD

LdD

Level 1
Long time lurker here coming back into things because of the 1.31 patch getting close to reforged. Firstly, I'd like to thank you guys for hanging through the years of neglect Blizzard has shown toward War3 over the years. Since that appears to be changing, I thought I'd dust off an old project of mine. But before I finished up what I had and added to the noise, I thought I'd ask if this has already been done.

Since I've been gone for so many years, I'm curious if there was ever a site-wide effort to create an open map with some fairly obvious but specific goals. I am looking to see if there was ever a conglomeration of the various systems and resources laid out here so that they could be applied to various maps as an open source template if you will. If so, I'd love to get a link. It's not something I saw in any of the guides.

If not, I was wondering if there was interest in gathering some additional talent and 'connecting the pieces' in a template along with applying said template to an AoS/hero arena map with some fairly rigorous goals. This AoS map would serve as a basic but complete one stop shop for others looking to fork it into specific variants to taste: aka dungeon crawling, anime, or what have you.

The AoS map's design goals would be as follows:
  • Be thematically similar to vanilla TFT. References would be made to orcs and night elves, but little else. Initial balance should be calibrated there so that if a melee player sees gauntlets of ogre strength, he will know exactly what it does and how much it costs.
  • Rather than importing new assets, fully use every single TFT asset (including hidden ones). Remember that expansive use of the many other models on here can be added to the taste of further modders. Nods to popular maps can be made afterward.
  • The project should show deference to the GUI over JASS or LUA with clear commenting. This would allow others to download the unoptimized version and give it a read so they can easily edit it later. Also it helps harden the project against future compatibility problems. Thus if there's a GUI and a JASS way to do things, unless there's a compelling reason to avoid the GUI way, it will be used.
  • Fully use vanilla spells/items in every unique way known. This means before interesting custom spells are added, say, a smoke ability is used that is specifically designed to disable item use but not spell use. Thus if a later custom spell was proposed to limit items, it would have to be distinct from this feature of the cloud ability (such as by being single-target).
  • Designed with every commonly used system in mind. For instance movement or damage subsystems for coding, item subsystems for item design (two other guides on this site mentioned the spellbook trick I spent a lot of time designing an AoS around), or even a shop-consolidation system I found interesting. The AoS itself should be designed around these capabilities rather than have them tacked on.
  • Fully embody the vanilla warcraft 3 experience. This includes things like automatic rematches (campaign loading), the newly expanded 24 player use, and common game modes found in other maps. If another map ends up doing something that doesn't break one of the above rules, it should be implemented. For instance, non-desyncing JASS code can allow another player's screen to be blacked out for a few seconds, which although it might be useful for a horror game is mechanically very useful for an AoS as a metagame debuff.
In short, it's basically a 'have/do all the things' and 'be vanilla while doing it'. Yes, I'll cross-post to the request subforum. So, someone else has to have done this before me, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.