• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Critter sound when clicked outside Neutral Passive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hi. Why do Critter's release sound when clicked? They aren't on my control. What should I change in Object Editor on a unit to get the same thing? I found out that if I put Critter on my Allie when I click it there is no sound only when it is on Neutral Passive. How can I have the sound on for Critter even if they aren't Neutral Passive?

Would love to make a Village where when you click on a Villager and they provide unit sound. But I want them to be on a player (Village Player) so I can put Red Color on them.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I'm going to go ahead and assume this is hardcoded behavior and the Neutral Passive thing can't be changed. I've never seen any option to change anything remotely close to this so it seems like a safe assumption, but I could be wrong.

Worst case you'll need to go down the path of triggering the sounds to play.

Level 11
Is it hard coded to 'Wander' ability ? Or hard coded to Critter's inside Object Editor?

Is there something I can change on a unit to get sound from it clicking it when clicked like Critter (Neutral Passive) or should I just use Critter and edit them? All other Neutral Passive units don't give out sound's like Critter's do.

So I don't understand why Critters omit sound but other Passive Neutral Units and Heroes don't.

Last edited:
Level 6
After some testing here is what I've found:
  • The given unit/building must belong to Neutral Passive (didn't test other neutrals)
  • Its race must be set to Critter

Both are required in order to work. This is the reason why chickens emit sounds while shops don't. Shops in warcraft are set to Other race by default, but if you change that to Critter you get talking shops. Very nice to learn this, I didn't know it previously xD

Level 11
I would give you Reputation but I have no idea how. 😂

Ye I had no idea too. Was a bit confused like where is this coming from? haha

I'm making an interactive Blood Elf city to feel more alive so clicking a Unit in the city would provide sound.
I just changed:
  • The race to Critter
  • Team color (In Object Editor because Neutral Passive has blackish color and sometimes we don't want that)
  • Add ability 'Wander'
  • Change unit sound .

Thank you for learning with me!

Last edited:
Level 6
I like this idea to bring liveliness to a city. Never mind about the rep Idk either xD
You might probably know this, but in case you don't or other ppl read this and don't know this trick, in the object editor when you select a unit or building the 5th field is called Allow Custom Team Color and is a boolean. If set to True you can freely edit team color for your preplaced units without using triggers for that. For example, Player 7 (Green) can have units colored as Red, Blue, Purple, and Green while all of them still belong to Player 7. This may help with displaying multiple factions without wasting player slots (it's not like that would be a problem with 24 slots haha) or only if you enjoy to stylish your units like setting orcs as reds and so on. Just a neat trick. For heroes, it's the 6th field.

Status
Not open for further replies.