• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating a Vehicle for your Unit

Level 5
Table of Contents:
Creating your Vehicle
Creating your Abilities

Creating your Vehicle

Now that youve got all that unit creation out of the way. Lets create your Hero his own ride using an ability.

Ive already got it setup for ReD to use a Battlecruiser. Setup two new Units, Copy from Battlecruiser and name it what you wish I've chosen ReD's BFGcruiser for the first one. Name the second unit with (Inactive) at the end of it.

Create actors for these units and set them up accordingly with whatever weapons you wish. make sure that for speed on the inactive Vehicle you set it to .0117. This will prevent the unit from running across the map to your Ground unit. One last thing is that I do not enter any upgrades for the inactive vehicle. I do set the inactive vehicle to Invulnerable under Flags, and while I havent played with it yet, I wish to make it untargettable while inactive. This is all done in the Flags section of your Unit.

Creating your Abilities

For this to work, we will actually be applying the High Templars Archon Warp Ability in conjunction with the Larva - Morph Unit (Larva -> Basic). Open up the Abilities tab of the Data Editor. Add these three Abilities:

AbilityCreateStep1.jpg

Before altering these Abilities. Open the Buttons Tab of the Data Editor and add these Three buttons:

AbilityCreateStep2.jpg

Make sure the Icons are set, and you can also Modify the Tooltip to display a message such as, Enters Cockpit of ReD's BFGcruiser. I used C as the hotkey for now but, you can change it whenever you want. Back to the Abilities tab to wrap this up.

First we'll setup our Exit Vehicle Ability. Open up the info Section and modify the Object Values to reflect the following information:

AbilityCreateStep3.jpg

I believe by default it should have all of the information on the Zerg units, you will have to remove all of that if there is any.

ReD - Mergeable will not need to be modified.

ReD - Morph will have the following modifications:

AbilityCreateStep4.jpg

While you can modify this in more depth, we will only be modifying the Object Value that allows us to enter our vehicle.

AbilityCreateStep5.jpg

Great if setup correctly then your Abilities should look like this:

AbilityCreateStep6.jpg

Applying Abilities to your Unit

Now that youve created your new ability lets apply it to our units. Heres how it should look for each unit. Including the Command Card

ReD:
AbilityCreateStep7.jpg

ReD's BFGcruiser:
AbilityCreateStep8.jpg

ReD's BFGcruiser (Inactive):
AbilityCreateStep9.jpg

If all went well, you should now have a vehicle for your unit to enter.

Flaws with this: because it is an actual morph, when merging with your vehicle you will lose any kills acquired on the unit. Also any damage taken in the vehicle can be repaired by exiting the vehicle, or you can heal yourself by entering/exiting the vehicle as well. The merge time was left since I felt it was the only way of balancing that act. Maybe I'll add a exit vehicle time as well? Thoughts, better ways of doing it?

Level 5
I have never ever used a trigger ever, this is my first time using an editor period. I have taken a look at the Metal Slug? map and tried to see how they got it working but I am lost atm. I will learn them ASAP and update my tutorial. Thanks :)