• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Creating a Multishot ability (adjusting arrow angles to match # of arrows fired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
Hello, I'm terrible at math and wondering if anyone could help me with this trigger. I'm creating a Multishot ability that fires multiple projectiles towards a target point. I want the system to detect how many arrows are to be fired (a variable I want to be able to adjust freely) and then spread them over a 90 degree angle, with one arrow ALWAYS guaranteed to face the targeted point.

So an ideal setup would be that if you fired 3 arrows then one would go down the center, one would face the casters angle -45 degrees and the last one would face the casters angle +45 degrees. The way I have it setup in the trigger below can achieve something close to this but only for an EVEN numbers of arrows. I realize that when dealing with an even number of projectiles it will always look a little weird since there will be 1 extra arrow on either side of the hero, but as long as the center arrow is always aimed towards the targeted point then that's all I care about. This trigger is just an example so don't worry about the leaks and missing variables:

• multishot test
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- Starting Angle --------
      • Set TempReal1 = ((Angle from (Position of TempUnit1) to ProjectilePoint[(Custom value of TempUnit1)]) - 45.00)
      • -------- Angle Increments --------
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • HeroStatProjectiles[(Custom value of TempUnit1)] Equal to 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Set TempReal2 = 45.00
        • Else - Actions
          • Set TempReal2 = (90.00 / (Real(HeroStatProjectiles[(Custom value of TempUnit1)])))
      • -------- Create Projectiles --------
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to HeroStatProjectiles[(Custom value of TempUnit1)], do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set ProjectileCount = (ProjectileCount + 1)
          • Set ProjectileAngle[ProjectileCount] = (TempReal1 + TempReal2)
          • Unit - Create 1 Projectile for TempPlayer1 at TempPoint1 facing ProjectileAngle[ProjectileCount] degrees
          • Set TempReal1 = (TempReal1 + TempReal2)

With the trigger above, if you fired 2 arrows and your hero was facing 90 degrees then the first arrow would face 90 degrees and the second would face 90 + 45 degrees.

Last edited:
Level 38
If an odd number of arrows just divide 90 by arrowcount-1 to get the angular spacing between them; if an even number divide by arrowcount as if it was a 1-bigger odd-numbered arrow spread but leave off the last arrow on one side. This will unfortunately make the arrow spread slightly less than 90 degrees for even-numbered volleys; you could correct for this but IMO the difference would really be negligible as long as arrowcount is bigger than like 4.

• Set ARROW_COUNT = (Random integer between 2 and 10)
  • Set ARROW_SPREAD = 90.00 //total number of degrees to cover
  • If (All conditions) then (Actions) else (Actions)
    • If - Conditions
      • (ARROW_COUNT mod 2) equal to 0 //modulo here checks if ARROW_COUNT is even
    • Then - Actions
      • Set ANGLE_INC = (ARROW_SPREAD / ARROW_COUNT)
      • -------- ARROW_COUNT = 1 makes a special case here but I presume you don't care about that one --------
    • Else - Actions
      • Set ANGLE_INC = (ARROW_SPREAD / (ARROW_COUNT - 1))
  • Set ANGLE = (angle from caster to target) + 45.00
  • For each (Integer A) from 1 to ARROW_COUNT do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Set POINT = (CASTER_LOC offset by 10.00 towards ANGLE degrees)
      • Unit - Create 1 Projectile for PLAYER at POINT facing ANGLE degrees
      • Set ANGLE = (ANGLE - ANGLE_INC)
Don't forget to clean your leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.