• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Could a "clicking" type of surgery game be done on WC3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
There's a video game called Trauma Center, it's a surgery game but most notably, it features these parasites that you have to fight and deal with. It's not a realistic or gory game, here's a video: Skip to 4 minutes into the video(BTW, the battleground is in the patient's heart in the video, but the heart is black because of the parasite, if anyone is wondering what the organ is of the battle ground).

Is it possible to code a game like that into WC3? Make the mouse control the surgery tools. Obviously, instead of the place being inside a patient's body(like in the game shown), it'll be just in a plain terrain.

The parasite could be a enemy unit that randomly moves around and makes wounds on the ground. The blood or the wounds could be represented by dead units(maybe the corpse of ghouls for example).

There will be a vital meter that represents the amount of life you can have, and you must destroy the parasite before it kills the "patient".

The hardest part I can imagine is.:

1. The mouse controls itself. I can imagine it being somewhat possible by making the player "drop" units(by using the summon ward ability) as surgery tools.

For example, to suture, the player would drop a bunch of "units" in a zig zag shape over the wounds to suture them, I guess I could imagine that being one way of doing the mouse controls.

The problem with this is that the controls won't be as "smooth" or fluid as the actual game.

In the actual game, players can simply just hold a button for the surgery tools to respond.

Is there anyway to do detect "holding" the mouse button, like holding the mouse button to shoot a laser that deals damage?

2. Detecting the "Zig Zags" for the surgery - I think this might be possible(but very hard), assuming the sutures are based off of dropping units.

I think the other parts(like making the wounds), and other stuff can be done but it won't look good.

So, from watching the video, does anything know whether or not if it's possible to code a game similar to Trauma Center(using mouse controls) into WC3?

Status
Not open for further replies.