• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Converting an Item ability to unit ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello
I tried searching the forums but could not find anything. I made an innate ability and a hero ability based on items (boots of speed) and a +dmg item. When I convert them to be able to be used by units/heroes I can not see the icon for them.
I have set the (X,Y) Coords to a visible space (tested by using evasion/vamp aura abilities). The hero gets the ability of faster speed or increased damage, but the icon does not show.
Any tips or suggestions on how to get this to work wold be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Level 2
Art-Icon-Normal is set to the Boots of Speed icon from the item list, even changed it to evasion icon to see if it was the specific icon that was not working.
I have tried Art-Icon-Turn Off as well to see if I needed to put it there but still no icon shows up.
I have Text-Tooltip-Normal and (Extended) filled out just in case icon is not showing but button is there, but even the tooltip is not showing up.
Any other things I could try to get the icon/button to show?

Thanks in advance.

Level 2
Aye button position is currently (1,1)-(X,Y).
Also tried the combinations (0,2), (1,2), (2,2), (2,1).

Level 13
The_Raven said:
Converting item abilities to unit ones tend to have wierd effects.

~The_Raven

Raven is right. Sometimes wierd effects appear.
e.g. I tried to make an item with a to-item-ability-changed unit ability, but it wouldn't work, the ability simply isn't cast. With some other abilities it worked fine. :?

Level 2
Just noticed this in the Blizzard known editor bugs...
- Non-spell abilities (such as Charge Gold and Lumber) cannot be used in the Spell Book ability

What is the definaition of "Spell Book"?
Is it refering to Hero/unit abilities or something else?
The Hero/Unit does get the effect but not the icon/button, so is this related to my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Level 3
Well... I have absolutly no clue what is up with the icon :( , but maybe (since you say the effect works), you could make just an icon ability, something passive with no effect (I assume that your speed increse and atk increse are passive). You might try Attribute Bonus zeroed out and with a new icon to get the effect of the icon. I would not know anything other then that. :?

Level 2
Well the movement speed is an innate abbility and I used that fake ability for info thing, but the +dam is a Hero ability (10 levels).
I would like to thank you all for replies and helping me with this problem. :)

Level 11
Getting a passive item ability like Boots of Speed is extremely easy. You will need to base your spell off a passive with no effect. Example: Evasion with 0% chance to evade. And now, if you want this to be an unit ability, give the ability to an unit and do the following trigger:

Event - An Unit finishes training an unit
Condition - Unit Type of (Trained Unit) equal to YourUnit
Action - Add BootsOfSpeed to (Trained Unit)

That is all. If you want for heroes, check whenever an unit learns an ability, ability being learnt equal to YourAbility. Action, Add Boots of Speed to (Learning Hero). Hope this helps you!

~Daelin

Status
Not open for further replies.