• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Conflicts: Conquest

This map will be unprotected/uncompressed until approved.

-

171910-albums2814-picture61385.jpg

This game is already playable and works quite smoothly and bugs occur very rarely, but more updates will be placed later. These updates would enable better gameplay or it would make it more fun to play.

Details:

This is a war map set in the time where the medieval period transitions into the age of gunpowder.

Combat and building systems are similar to other Warcraft TFTs, but the economy system of this game is somehow similar to Dawn of War's and Company of Heroes's wherein players must capture Resource points. These Resource points would bring in income for the players to use.

The training system of units is also altered as it trains units in batches rather than individual units, similar to the training system of the Chinese Faction in Age of Empires III Asian Dynasties.

Combat would revolve around the concept of taking and conquering each other's resource points in an effort to disrupt enemy resource gathering and to bolster your own. A superior supply gathering would enable a superior army to be built to destroy your opponents forces.

A superior army is not all there is to it however. Proper deployment of troops and defenses would also play a vital role in this game. One would need to position his troops where he needs them and where he can easily move them to respond to threats. Also, one must think well on whether to deploy his troops for offense, defense, or have his units perform both tasks at the same time. Cunning tactics and feints would necessarily decide the outcome of the battle here.

Victory is achieved when the enemy Keep is destroyed.

Features

This map contains many different units like archers and knights, just like any other medieval map. It divides the classes to four different structures:
Drill Yards - capable of deploying low quality troops, but at a quick rate
Barracks - trains professional heavy troops that forms the vanguard of any army
Range - trains various projectile units of the army that deals heavy damage from afar
Stables - trains cavalry, that are swift to attack the enemy and quick to respond to any threats

What makes this map different however is that later on, one can also choose to capture the Saltpeter Vat, being defended by numerous gunpowder units, to wield the power of gunpowder. There are two vats allowing both sides to have access to such technology, but why allow the other to have access to it? Gunpowder would enable several new units different from the previously available.

171910-albums2814-picture61350.png

171910-albums2814-picture61349.png

These new units would greatly reflect how the battlefield shifted from swords and arrows to the new age of guns and cannons. With amassed volleys of lead capable of penetrating the thickest of armors, one can easily kill the heavily armored knights that dominated the middle ages. This, in turn, would change the course of warfare.

Resource Points

Strong Point -provides food
Trade Market- provides gold
Lumber Mill- provides lumber
Saltpeter Vat- provides access to Gunpowder techtree

171910-albums2814-picture61435.png

171910-albums2814-picture61436.png

171910-albums2814-picture61437.png

171910-albums2814-picture61438.png

171910-albums2814-picture61439.png

171910-albums2814-picture61440.png

171910-albums2814-picture61441.png

171910-albums2814-picture61442.png

171910-albums2814-picture61443.png

171910-albums2814-picture61444.png

ETC.

Thank you to all of the people who created the art model files in this game:

Custom model Files by:

Wandering Soul
BlinkBoy
Uncle Fester
skrab
Talon the Mage
Mechanical Man

Change log History (November 5, 2012):

September 9, 2012
-First upload of this map on Hive
-minor fixes in tooltips, terrain, and requirements

September 11, 2012
-Fixed typographical errors and made it more "beginner friendly"
-added custom preview screen

September 12, 2012
-Added a better preview screen

September 13, 2012
-found a better preview screen which depicted more closely what this
map is about, especially its late games where gunpowder
outmodes the other conventional Medieval units

September 14, 2012
-added a new Gunpowder (Based on Magic) attack type to deal
greater damage against heavy and light armor units
-fixed some ability requirements
-nerfed Arblasters
-removed mines

September 15, 2012
-made gunpowder more powerful
-added loading screen

September 16, 2012
-made Skirmishers' minimum attack equal to 180
-added new ingame screenshots
-fixed tooltip errors

September 18, 2012
-added new "-income" command to view resource gathering rate

September 21, 2012
-rearranged resource points
-weakened devotion aura of Knights

November 5, 2012
-added unique abilities for all units
-fixed walls in accordance to things pointed out by Vengeancekael

ETC.
Keywords:
Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Medieval, Gunpowder, Musket, Conflicts, conquest, attack, knights, swords, guns, shields, armor, capture the flag, att
Contents

Conflicts: Conquest (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael Date: 2012/Oct/31 13:49:18 [Please do not send me a message, use Staff Contact] Comment:A troop system would be better, where you'd just select one unit and the rest of the troop would follow the selected one's orders. A...

M

Vengeancekael
Date: 2012/Oct/31 13:49:18
[Please do not send me a message, use Staff Contact]

Comment:
A troop system would be better, where you'd just select one unit and the rest of the troop would follow the selected one's orders.
A progress indicator for capturing points would be handy.
Lacking terrain, add animated grass, it'd make it look a lot better and fix the walls you've placed, do not raise the terrain where they are placed, they look separated and not attached.​
Not Rated
[tr]​

reportV2_animated.jpg
Rules

Level 4
What you have to do?
-Improve your description and get inspire from description expert.
-Put some screenshots/videos.
-Put "Credits to:..."
-Tell us more about the map.

If you do not follow this steps,your resources may no chance to get approve by Resources Moderator.
Think carefully,lad.

Level 6
What you have to do?
-Improve your description and get inspire from description expert.
-Put some screenshots/videos.
-Put "Credits to:..."
-Tell us more about the map.

If you do not follow this steps,your resources may no chance to get approve by Resources Moderator.
Think carefully,lad.

I do not know where did you base that negative point about that Credits part. I've got it placed there, but I do acknowledge my mistakes in the other parts. I haven't got any screenshots at the moment, but I'll make sure to place some soon enough.

Level 30
Map Review
Conflicts: Conquest (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Conflicts: Conquest" is a Altered Melee map that has a similar genres with Risk/Capture the Flag type of maps, the game sets players in capturing strong points(neutral buildings) and building huge armies. Game ends when the enemy Castle is destroyed.

"The game feels like a Risk type rather than an altered melee, although I had fun with it, but the part side of the game is that it gets laggy when player's trains too much forces, difficulty is player-judgement and replay value is fine."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain is massive yet looks great, although it lacks doodads and environmental designs, since the map looks like a medieval/industrial age, I recommend you to take views on such type of landscapes or pictures across related resources such as internet, books and so on."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"To my review, game is great, suites best for co-ops and people who like to mess out a thousands armies, although their is some errors about the Apothecary Hut even if the building is not yet done it already starts healing friendly units, I suggest you change the building's healing ability 'Requirement = "Apothecary Hut' that way the ability will only work when it is done, although I haven't spot bugs and leaks for now I guess this is good to go, good luck and keep on the updates."

WC3ScrnShot_102612_202048_01.png

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
8/1580%C

Level 6
Map Review
Conflicts: Conquest (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Conflicts: Conquest" is a Altered Melee map that has a similar genres with Risk/Capture the Flag type of maps, the game sets players in capturing strong points(neutral buildings) and building huge armies. Game ends when the enemy Castle is destroyed.

"The game feels like a Risk type rather than an altered melee, although I had fun with it, but the part side of the game is that it gets laggy when player's trains too much forces, difficulty is player-judgement and replay value is fine."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain is massive yet looks great, although it lacks doodads and environmental designs, since the map looks like a medieval/industrial age, I recommend you to take views on such type of landscapes or pictures across related resources such as internet, books and so on."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"To my review, game is great, suites best for co-ops and people who like to mess out a thousands armies, although their is some errors about the Apothecary Hut even if the building is not yet done it already starts healing friendly units, I suggest you change the building's healing ability 'Requirement = "Apothecary Hut' that way the ability will only work when it is done, although I haven't spot bugs and leaks for now I guess this is good to go, good luck and keep on the updates."

View attachment 118885

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
8/1580%C

I've noted everything that you've written here. It's very helpful. Right now, I'm reading this on a computer that's newly reformatted with a broken mouse, so I pretty much can't do anything right now.

About the healing ability, I guess I'll try that suggestion for now even though I know that it's just a band-aid solution, and after building your first Apothecary Hut, the techtree requirement would be filled in, and the problem kicks in again. I'll have to use some triggering there then. If I become a bit lazy, I'll just use heal with modified stats to remove that problem. Hopefully, that doesn't happen.

Level 35
Well been playing it for the last few hours and won :smile: But in terms of the map there is a fair amount of stuff needed to sort out. I'll take it step by step.

Review by Red-Baron per request of Sumallo2

Terrain:
It has issues - for a large scale map the terrain is in fashion decent, that is if the rest of the map/gameplay supports and increases the enjoyment - the problem is that its not the case. Everything seems a bit bland and if it weren't for the map in the bottom you would be unsure where you were.
I can see attempts to place some meaning in the terrain, but sadly it confuses more than it helps - which is due to a fetal flaw: There is such a small amount of doodads that those there is in the map attract unwanted attention, meaning both in a literal sense and in connection with the gameplay.
Why? Well, for that I will have to go into information or lack thereof:
The player does not know how to play it and the only given information is in regards how to capture certain buildings/points. Since you don't know how those points look you might assume that its actually points - which for me meant going to places that were marked differently in the terrain = wasted time. Even after discovering this I still sent a peasant to look at the goldmines located behind the castles - as gold equals money right? No.. Its doodad with no meaning. In fact huge amount of the map is meaningless and could be removed. So add more doodads, variation and avoid those single spots of slightly more terrain.. More about the terrain follows:

Layout:
The layout of a map of this type matters, it is in fact essential. Problem is that it appears far too random. Certain positions has a clear advantage over others, the terrain conflicts in building placement due to rock patterns - but a pattern that is not consistent. Holes in fenced of areas allowing for tactics I don't assume was intended and worst of all: Illogical placed resources. While this being what it is: A capture map, the capture points have to be equally hard to get for both players. Problems is that its not the case. Also in case of the saltpeter vats (more about those later) the terrain/layout also features a clear advantage for one of them over the other.

Units:
The units - well while is nice to have a good selection of units and while I like the feature of training multiple units at the same time, it has some rather large flaws.

For one thing you only ever need to train one single unit type: The Light Cavalry. Simply put it is way way overpowered with its 40% chance of miss chance. 6 units of the type can clear the way to a saltpeter vat and training 4x6 pretty much allows you to net whatever cleaning you want. They work against any type of unit - hence also buildings and they are cheap, fast and easy to get.

The other unit types suffer from various flaws that makes them less versatile.
For instance: The heavy cavalry: Pounded by shooters in seconds - Good damage though.
Or the mounted shooters: Can't hit buildings
Or mortar men: Way to slow given how hard they should be to obtain.

Unit Bugs: Most extra updates to the units doesn't apply - the game doesn't register that you updated to a certain level and therefor never unlocks the buildings/units/upgrade corresponding to it.
Also there is some sort of issue with selection of the units (mostly those with custom models), where they can't be selected in certain spots - quite odd and fairly annoying.

Unit Sounds: Should be placed in relation to the unit, for instance: Light cavalry should not sound like orcs - it gets somewhat annoying given that I am assuming I am playing as human.

Lag: Unlike other reviewers I did not suffer from lag issues nor did my co-tester. Both of us were using fairly powerful computers though.

Information flow:
This is a critical flaw to the map, how little information you give. Basically one do not know to capture the vats, the location of them - what points have been captured - which type of point is which (hard to do. but would help a lot - custom minimap would be the solution), add some more information about goals, suggestion of unit use in the quest menu - its there for a reason other than to add credits.
As an example a nice information would be how much the different points generate - Why? Because it would allow for some more tactical planning as to goals and uses.

Gameplay:
What most of the above comes down to is gameplay - does it work? Not really. It has some good intentions and I can see potential - but with the above problems it doesn't work as I am sure it was intended. And it comes under a false title: Fast paced. This map is not fast paced - not even close. It clocks down to a speed almost equal to a normal melee map - And that might just be the worst part of it. If ones soldiers, fortune and battles happened faster, minor things as terrain appearance wouldn't matter as much, but part of the gameplay is the things I have mentioned above, since all of those elements add to it, moves it along - make it work.

So yea you asked for a critical review that could give you pointers on how to improve it, and now you got it. I do like the idea of the map and minor things you included such as the back access to the vats. You just need to think primarily more in terms of balance. Both in regards to units and in regards to map layout.

Good work and have fun with it.

Oh and yea: the healing thing is still there - If I were you I would just go with the night elves healing fountain idea, just with a better healing and faster rate.

4/10 - Fair

Last edited:
Level 6
Well been playing it for the last few hours and won :smile: But in terms of the map there is a fair amount of stuff needed to sort out. I'll take it step by step.

Review by Red-Baron per request of Sumallo2

Terrain:
It has issues - for a large scale map the terrain is in fashion decent, that is if the rest of the map/gameplay supports and increases the enjoyment - the problem is that its not the case. Everything seems a bit bland and if it weren't for the map in the bottom you would be unsure where you were.
I can see attempts to place some meaning in the terrain, but sadly it confuses more than it helps - which is due to a fetal flaw: There is such a small amount of doodads that those there is in the map attract unwanted attention, meaning both in a literal sense and in connection with the gameplay.
Why? Well, for that I will have to go into information or lack thereof:
The player does not know how to play it and the only given information is in regards how to capture certain buildings/points. Since you don't know how those points look you might assume that its actually points - which for me meant going to places that were marked differently in the terrain = wasted time. Even after discovering this I still sent a peasant to look at the goldmines located behind the castles - as gold equals money right? No.. Its doodad with no meaning. In fact huge amount of the map is meaningless and could be removed. So add more doodads, variation and avoid those single spots of slightly more terrain.. More about the terrain follows:

Layout:
The layout of a map of this type matters, it is in fact essential. Problem is that it appears far too random. Certain positions has a clear advantage over others, the terrain conflicts in building placement due to rock patterns - but a pattern that is not consistent. Holes in fenced of areas allowing for tactics I don't assume was intended and worst of all: Illogical placed resources. While this being what it is: A capture map, the capture points have to be equally hard to get for both players. Problems is that its not the case. Also in case of the saltpeter vats (more about those later) the terrain/layout also features a clear advantage for one of them over the other.

Units:
The units - well while is nice to have a good selection of units and while I like the feature of training multiple units at the same time, it has some rather large flaws.

For one thing you only ever need to train one single unit type: The Light Cavalry. Simply put it is way way overpowered with its 40% chance of miss chance. 6 units of the type can clear the way to a saltpeter vat and training 4x6 pretty much allows you to net whatever cleaning you want. They work against any type of unit - hence also building and they are cheap, fast and easy to get.

The other unit types suffer from various flaws that makes them less versatile.
For instance: The heavy cavalry: Pounded by shooters in seconds - Good damage though.
Or the mounted shooters: Can't hit buildings
Or mortar men: Way to slow given how hard they should be to obtain.

Unit Bugs: Most extra updates to the units doesn't apply - the game doesn't register that you updated to a certain level and therefor never unlocks the buildings/units/upgrade corresponding to it.
Also there is some sort of issue with selection of the units (mostly those with custom models), where they can't be selected in certain spots - quite odd and fairly annoying.

Unit Sounds: Should be placed in relation to the unit, for instance: Light cavalry should not sound like orcs - it gets somewhat annoying given that I am assuming I am playing as human.

Lag: Unlike other reviewers I did not suffer from lag issues nor did my co-tester. Both of us were using fairly powerful computers though.

Information flow:
This is a critical flaw to the map, how little information you give. Basically one do not know to capture the vats, the location of them - what points have been captured - which type of point is which (hard to do. but would help a lot - custom minimap would be the solution), add some more information about goals, suggestion of unit use in the quest menu - its there for a reason other than to add credits.
As an example a nice information would be how much the different points generate - Why? Because it would allow for some more tactical planning as to goals and uses.

Gameplay:
What most of the above comes down to is gameplay - does it work? Not really. It has some good intentions and I can see potential - but with the above problems and the ones I am going to say it doesn't work. And it comes under a false title: Fast paced. This map is not fast paced - not even close. It clocks down to a speed almost equal to a normal melee map - And that might just be the worst part of it. If ones soldiers, fortune and battles happened faster, minor things as terrain appearance wouldn't matter as much, but part of the gameplay is the things I have mentioned above, since all of those elements add to it, moves it along - make it work.

So yea you asked for a critical review that could give you pointers on how to improve it, and now you got it. I do like the idea of the map and minor things you included such as the back access to the vats. You just need to think primarily more in terms of balance. Both in regards to units and in regards to map layout.

Good work and have fun with it.

Oh and yea: the healing thing is still there - If I were you I would just go with the night elves healing fountain idea, just with a better healing and faster rate.

4/10 - Fair

Many thanks for this wonderful review. This kind of review was what I was looking for. Thank you for the details, so now I'll know what to do.

I'll also place further credits for you on the Changelog area.

I would change first the ones that can easily be edited (Like the light cav issue) and other things vital for giving information to the new players. Terrain comes soon after that.

It's a good thing that I went to you asking for a review before I actually closed making this map. I'm actually working on another map which actually starts on the Early Modern Warfare era starting from the pike-and-shot and ending at the age of rifled muskets. At least I won't suffer the same mistakes again, and I also won't start on making that new map without solving these current issues on this map.

EDIT:

Here's a more comprehensive response containing what I would plan to do for each aspect.

Terrain-I'll try to make each area with points look more like towns in order to make them more significant.

Layout- Probably, what you meant was those doodads not being able to block properly the places they are supposed to block. By the way, which of the two saltpeter vats provide a strategic advantage to a certain side, and which side is it favorable for?

Unit- I've nerfed the Light Cavalry's to 20% evasion. They should also be quite useless when other melee units provide screening for ranged units as Light Cavs would be killed easily with normal type attacks. By the way, it would also probably help that the Line Infantry units would now actually switch automatically to their bayonets when they are attacked by melee units. I guess those gunners would now stand a greater chance of standing against those Light Cavs.

However, some of those things that you have mentioned, however, were not flaws.
The heavy cavalry and other heavy units are supposed to actually be riddled with holes by those gunpowder units. I actually intended to depict how lighter units were later on preferred due to that reason.
Musket armed units are also incapable of attacking enemy buildings as to also nerf them. With their high damage, they can actually deal too high of a damage to buildings, especially when they are massed.

I'll try to root out all of the upgrade issues as well.

About the selection issue, I don't think I can do much about that. I'll try to change the selection scale if that would do anything.

Information flow- I'll try to add an in-game tutorial book there with various descriptions on how to capture and such. Probably, I'll include various information about logistics, unit match-ups and the gunpowder techtree there as well.

Gameplay- Hopefully, this problem is solved after everything else is done.

Last edited: