• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Company of Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Ok so, i played CoH. and it was incredibly fun. it actually kinda made me micro. loved playing as the germans, never could really play as the american or british invaders. i really loved the konigstiger, and i would always get pissed when the americans or brits somehow destroyed it. Terror doctrine was the way to go.
anyone else play this awesome game?

Level 34
I got it, it's fun, it's great, love the details and the micro'ing. Shame that I *ahem* torrented it, so no mulitplayer for me. Although, even without the multiplayer it remains awesome.

Note: I've noticed one major issue with the 4 factions (Americans, British, Wehrmacht and the Panzer Elite) and that is:

Americans <-good-> Wehrmacht.
British <-good-> Panzer Elite.
Americans <-bad-> Panzer Elite.
British <-bad-> Wehrmacht.

It's because the one team is more limited than the other one and/or more powerful. But this also means it's more a challenge for you.

Level 22
i torrented it too, need to find a crack for 2.501
anyways, americans do have a rather large advantage over wehr cause of their cheap AT guns, which are the most annoying shit ever. if the map has alot of buildings to garrison, wehr usually wins cause of garrisonned MG teams. that pave the way for the PzIVs/StuGs and Panthers (King tiger if youre me)
Problem is, i dont think the Brit AI makes trenches, which kinda makes PE incid nades useless unless their in a building.
PE can take on any allied armor, cause of their marders/jagdpanther/panther battle group and a couple of tankbusters.

The only reason i play as the PE is to here the marders and PzIV say "It's time to fucking move!" whenever their in combat and u tell them to un-lockdown
theres alot of tiny extra detail that i always find in the game thats plain amusing, mostly just unit voices.
personally, i think all the allies suck vs the axis. but thats just the biased me.

Level 25
Got the vanilla and Opposing fronts, it's a great game !
But.. Play against real players and it completely changes everything, as the computer cheats (it gets more resources, watch a replay if you don't believe me) and doesn't do so much a lá tactics.

Level 34
Got the vanilla and Opposing fronts, it's a great game !
But.. Play against real players and it completely changes everything, as the computer cheats (it gets more resources, watch a replay if you don't believe me) and doesn't do so much a lá tactics.
This is how they make computer "hard" in most RTS games. DoWxp pro is the only AI I've seen that was actually really hard because of it's ability to play well.

Level 25
This is how they make computer "hard" in most RTS games. DoWxp pro is the only AI I've seen that was actually really hard because of it's ability to play well.

Yeah, it really sucks playing against the computer, I mean "yay I destroyed their whole army, here they come with two more when I got the whole map"..

Level 22
we're not discussing it... :) we're just stating that we use torrents for various reasons.
i for one use torrents since this computer for some UNKNOWN reason, did not come with a dvd-drive. so i cant play basically all modern games.

edit: oh yah, i would love to play MP if i ever somehow figure out my problem and do buy a legal copy. id probably suck tho, i only played against the comps.

and uh, if you have ToV, could you possibly explain the shooter aspect of the game?

Level 15
Company of Heroes was epic. Just having played the demo made me want to get it. Of course, I DIDN'T get it. I got Dawn of War 2, the game that was built off of it. But still- that was the first time I ever felt like I had to actually think about how I was playing an RTS from a tactical perspective.

Level 34
we're not discussing it... :) we're just stating that we use torrents for various reasons.
i for one use torrents since this computer for some UNKNOWN reason, did not come with a dvd-drive. so i cant play basically all modern games.

edit: oh yah, i would love to play MP if i ever somehow figure out my problem and do buy a legal copy. id probably suck tho, i only played against the comps.

and uh, if you have ToV, could you possibly explain the shooter aspect of the game?
A new drive would cost you $25. Or probably 20 euros if you're from Europe.

Level 34
Not if you look for free shipping off a site. Where are you from, I can probably find you a really cheap one.

Level 23
I have it as well. Both vanilla and opposing fronts (legal). I'm not quite sure I will buy Tales of Valor yet as it involves a different style of gameplaying. But I totally love it so far :)

Seems rather odd that you guys torrent it, when I bought mine in the store for 9.1£ D:

I have it as well. Both vanilla and opposing fronts (legal). I'm not quite sure I will buy Tales of Valor yet as it involves a different style of gameplaying. But I totally love it so far :)

Seems rather odd that you guys torrent it, when I bought mine in the store for 9.1£ D:

It's all about the cuntry you live in.

Level 23
If you look at their site, they actually reduced the prices alot...

Even by buying them from amazon you can get the first 2 for less than 12£
The release price of Opposing Fronts was 29.99£ Well, now it's 4.5£ D:

Level 22
as mentioned earlier, my desktop doesnt have a dvd drive for some unknown reason. it has a cd drive, but u cant play dvd-roms on cd drives. so i just torrent a few games. theres a good chance ill be getting a laptop on my birthday, which is on the 18th. then i'll see if i can scavenge enough money to buy all 3 or atleast opposing fronts/vanilla.

Level 23
Ok:p

By the way, I played yesterday with a friend of mine. I think I finally succeeded with an awesome firestorm strike. I killed 40 with it :D
Edit: All squads died actually, so those 3 surviving in that pic was dead the next second

Attachments

• firestorm.jpg
    firestorm.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 119
Level 22
nice! terror doctrine is the best doctrine.
firestorm is one of the better doctrine arty strikes imo, but they tend not to fall all at once.
i remember doing a major comeback on hochwald gap. it was against insane computers, i was the brits, with american insane allies. i went commando (as i always do for brits) and the next thing i know, panthers were at our bridge. it was damn hard, but with crap load of AT emplacements,mortar pits, and mg nests, i managed to push them out and destroy their base.
do you go for the V1 first or the King Tiger? personally i love the king tiger, just cause its so huge, but i remember running over an entire volks squad once. i dont remember how tho.

Level 23
Hah nice:p

Hehe yeah, me too. King tiger is epic. However I decide depending on the map or situation. If you got alot munitions points like we had in that game (60+ per minute) I went for the firestorm and v1 rocket first. Also, since I blew all them up that good, I got alot of exp for additional points forwards the king tiger:D

But yes, King tiger is definitly awesome:p Sometimes tho, I like blitzkrieg better. The Tiger there is better towards infantry I think, and not that slow either... And can be summoned again if it dies ._.

Level 15
Hah nice:p

Hehe yeah, me too. King tiger is epic. However I decide depending on the map or situation. If you got alot munitions points like we had in that game (60+ per minute) I went for the firestorm and v1 rocket first. Also, since I blew all them up that good, I got alot of exp for additional points forwards the king tiger:D

But yes, King tiger is definitly awesome:p Sometimes tho, I like blitzkrieg better. The Tiger there is better towards infantry I think, and not that slow either... And can be summoned again if it dies ._.

The King tiger actually sucked in real life, it was completely inefficient to produce. They basically took two panzer engines, and threw on a bunch of extra plating. The thing sucked gas like a mother and broke down every mile or so. It was awesome if you could get it to work...

Level 22
well, during the battle of berlin, they used king tigers as immovable emplacements just cause they didnt have no gas.
true, the tiger is faster and does massive splash damage (i once destroyed a vehicle and 2 engineers that were repairing it) but it doesnt really give u that, oh shit feeling.
King Tigers give me the oh shit feeling.
plus the King Tiger has an MG turret, regular tiger just has an empty hole ._.

I dont like the Panzer Elite too much. their PzIV is ok, rips infantry apart, but their marder is rather weak, which annoys me. Thier Jagdpanther is super easy to destroy with rangers or airborne, just fire em up and run circles around him.
Plus they dont even half a sniper unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.