• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Community Model Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Back years ago I played Neverwinter Nights and Neverwinter Nights 2, RPGs that had persistent servers with time passing, and calendar, quests, thousands of scripts... the community was similar to this game in fact, they had a huge website with thousands of maps (our one server had 600 areas).. anyhow...

One thing they had was a huge pack of models from dozens of contributors that servers could use so all the reference numbers in a database were universal... monsters, trees, buildings, clothing for characters, etc... but more than anything it got all of the highest quality stuff into one pack that mappers and modders could use. Does anything like this exist for WC3? Any standard download with models that have become commonly used since the game is now so old?

Thanks for answers

Maybe no one really feels the need for such a thing.
Hive is such a comprehensive database of all resources and playables, that I personally do NOT see any reason to rehash something that is there already.
It is an interesting idea, but it bears the enormous danger of people not getting proper credit, because of either the creators of such compendiums are lazy to write down all author or the people using such pack copying the proper credits list.
Also, I feel that such packs would be more work than importing resources piecemeal. If you need s specific resource from a pack you'll probably need to download the whole pack and then just deleting or shelving the stuff you do not need.

The enormous danger of people not getting proper credit? Enormous? :) Wowza.

I have seen many compilation packs on different other sites that had the models of my fellow modellers and me in them and did not state who the proper authors were or who made them.
I and many others do not like being stolen from, be it for the good of a community.
If they want some model they can get it here and even contact the author and ask questions.

Level 4
That makes sense 100%, and I understand many people think of their efforts here as "work". Respect.

But say I have a mod I am working on merging heroes from many maps. So far I used 2 sets of heroes, a 3rd set of 8 is on the way. I added a few dozen custom models for things, made some changes... and I have it set up so I can drop said mod into any standard melee map using MPQ editor and they play fine. I am enjoying playing the mod on tons of maps. Now, say I want to share, but I put this sentence there: "I need no credit for this, as all the work is from people from the Hive. Enjoy the mod, share, change, don't mention my name ever" and I post it so others can enjoy it.

Am I lazy since I am older (45 yrs old) and I have 2 jobs, a kid, tons of pets, a wife that has medical needs, and so on, and decided not to look up 25+ authors to list their names? I barely have time to play, and making the hero collection already is taking too much time. Anyone see my point? I would love to share what I have put together so far, and in the future... but the whole "credit" thing is a major turnoff, leaving me to just enjoy my stuff alone. Does that make sense? There should be a tag for uploading maps that says "Not my work" or "Not original" IMHO.

That makes sense 100%, and I understand many people think of their efforts here as "work". Respect.

But say I have a mod I am working on merging heroes from many maps. So far I used 2 sets of heroes, a 3rd set of 8 is on the way. I added a few dozen custom models for things, made some changes... and I have it set up so I can drop said mod into any standard melee map using MPQ editor and they play fine. I am enjoying playing the mod on tons of maps. Now, say I want to share, but I put this sentence there: "I need no credit for this, as all the work is from people from the Hive. Enjoy the mod, share, change, don't mention my name ever" and I post it so others can enjoy it.

Am I lazy since I am older (45 yrs old) and I have 2 jobs, a kid, tons of pets, a wife that has medical needs, and so on, and decided not to look up 25+ authors to list their names? I barely have time to play, and making the hero collection already is taking too much time. Anyone see my point? I would love to share what I have put together so far, and in the future... but the whole "credit" thing is a major turnoff, leaving me to just enjoy my stuff alone. Does that make sense? There should be a tag for uploading maps that says "Not my work" or "Not original" IMHO.

It does make sense, but Hive does NOT support not crediting people.

Status
Not open for further replies.