• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Clover Isles

~

Description:

A four-player melee map, with four shops at opposite ends, and a shipyard in the middle. Despite the shipyard, all areas can be reached on foot. There is only one way to cross to the other sides of the island, and it's guarded by giant hydras. Resources for a successful startup are abundant, and the one to defeat the hydras in the middle will not go unrewarded.

Story:

Despite their name, there are no clovers on the clover isles. The isles were named after their shape, and they once served as a stop for traders and mercenaries travelling between The Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, however, they've been claimed by beasts of the depths and now it's a fighting ground, as the control of the isles would mean a good tactical and economically beneficial position for any race.

[highlight]Extra info:[/code]

This is a reupload and heavy edit of a map previously known as "Ancient City". I got a lot of feedback but afterwards, the map was deleted.
So here's Ancient City v.2!

Major revision done, including adding a lot more forest areas, making more space, and decreasing the overall creep level, including the ones at the mines. The hydras in the middle still remain, as they are partly the map's point - you have to defeat them first in order to start attacking the enemy =).
However, I have removed some of the difficult creeps and added easier ones, so that while the player is building an army strong enough to kill the hydras (which doesn't really take a lot), they still have something to do and terrain to discover.

There's a full change list available in the changelog, which still has info from the previous version.
If you're curious about what this map started out as, you can compare the full map screenshot below to this one (and see why it got rejected :p)! ^^

Thanks to everyone who put in feedback, and I hope I've made you slightly more content with the map. ^^

FEEDBACK: Any more feedback is very welcome, especially about space, wood amounts, and doodad density =)

fullmap5.png

Old screenshots here: 1. 2. 3. 4.

Screen3.jpg

Screen4.jpg

1. (5.8.2011)
  • applied the map's terrain completely anew, giving it a lusher texture
  • moved the shorelines slightly
  • added some more trees to the map
  • polished some other parts of the map
2. (7.8.2011)
  • changed some of the units on the map, to fit it into the classic melee map type
  • improved some of the water cliff areas with extra hight levels
3. (12.8.2011)
  • added some space to all four base locations
  • created a lot more forest
  • all areas are now accessible on foot
  • changed some Creep Camp locations, and dramatically decreased the overall unit level
  • reshaped a lot of the terrain
  • the map has been resized
  • rewritten the map description
  • added more non-gameplay affecting things like props and critters
4. (14.8.2011)
  • changed the title and updated the description of the map
  • added even more space to the base locations
  • fixed some of the pathing
  • added even more forest areas
  • obstructed a lot of the naval paths to reduce the effect of naval units (which AI players can't use)
  • added more environment factors (props, doodads and critters)
5.a (5.1.2012)
  • changed the secondary gold mine resource amounts to 14000 from 30000.
  • added four new isles with additional gold mines and forest
  • changed the positions of some creeps
  • altered some of the existing landmasses
  • changed some markets - they are now positioned symmetrically - for equal access by all four players
  • removed taverns
5.b (5.1.2012)
  • flattened the surface of the four starting areas
Author: Lelling
If you alter this map, please credit me, thank you =)

Keywords:
Melee, 4player, 2v2, FFA, Sunken Ruins
Contents

Clover Isles (Map)

Reviews
20:01, 7th Sep 2011 Vengeancekael: Status: Rejected Fix the things mentioned above and Orcnet's review will be applied. Vengeancekael: Private Message Date: 2012/Jan/05 18:38:47 Reasons: Other: Check out the tutorials section...

M

20:01, 7th Sep 2011
Vengeancekael: Status: Rejected

Tavern should be unguarded, also 12 gold mines instead 8 would be better choice.
30.000 gold per expansion gold mine is 2 much, you will harvest all trees around and gold mine will still have above 20.000 gold.

Markets should be placed symmetrically.

Fix the things mentioned above and Orcnet's review will be applied.

Vengeancekael: Private Message
Date: 2012/Jan/05 18:38:47

Reasons:

Other:
Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials
Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section
Check out the World Editor Help Zone (Trigger issues, object editor, overall WE issues): WE Help Zone

Comment: Updated and approved.

But please make the terrain at the starting bases flatter.
Admin Contact - Resource Moderation - Rules

Level 30
Map Review
Clover Isles (No Version/s Stated)

Rating System:

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

Difficulty is at ease and fair, but seconded to Kael and Kobas's comments, excellent choice for the hydras to be the main creep raid for once.

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif

Terrain was beautiful, no doodads spams, perfect alignments of details, and its just wonderful, good job with that.

Managing

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

well just have to tell yah, that's one good work of a melee map, although Kobas is right with the tavern area, gold mines, default it back to their original state and everything would be fine.

Total Score:

Rating
NumberPercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
13/1593%A

Vm me after reading this review