• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Classic games on Gog.com (WC I, WC II, Diablo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Just heard about it on official forums. Diablo is now available on GOG, and Blizzard has plans to release Warcraft I and Warcraft II on GOG as well:
https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/22887361/diablo-now-available-on-gogcom-3-7-2019
Q: Are other classic Blizzard games coming to GOG.COM?
A: Yes! We have announced that we’re partnering with GOG.COM to release Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft II. We’ll reveal more information at a later date.
This is a pretty good news for those who could no longer run these games on their recent computers.

Edit:
Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft II are now available on GOG as well.
Today, WarCraft 1 & 2 get their first-ever digital launch—and it’s on GOG

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Now all that remains to be seen is if the non-classic (as in remastered/reforged) versions of their older games will be sold by Blizzard directly.
The problem is, that means that some classic version of their games won't become free like StarCraft: Brood War.
Maybe, they don't plan to remaster those because they weren't satisfied with StarCraft: Remastered and possibly Warcraft III: Reforged? Or maybe, they just want to go beyond Reforged instead in that there will be no more overlapping of the higher quality version with the classic one, meaning you'll only buy the HD/remake version?

But, no Hellfire, sadly as on their store (because of Sierra stuff). Hellfire actually introduced the sockets idea and more.
Is Diablo: Hellfire supported/coming to GOG.COM?
We have no plans to bring Diablo: Hellfire to GOG.COM at this time.

NOTE:

The original Battle.net version of the game is completely unchanged and allows players to connect to one another through Blizzard’s Battle.net online-gaming service.

The GOG-enhanced version offers several quality of life additions, including minor audio fixes, up-scaling support for resolution and refresh rate control, and compatibility fixes. Please note that this version cannot connect to Battle.net and only supports multiplayer via LAN and P2P connection.

Last edited:
Level 2
I read about that earlier; I was wondering if they are worth playing? I heard it was supposed to be the CNC Rival in the 90s. I actually never played WAR1/2 lol

Level 2
Why not? You can play it on newer OSs with better resolution and with friends over LAN but nowadays there are programs like Hamachi or Gameranger which make LAN work over the net. The problem is, you won't be able to play it on Battle.net, on ladder.

I guess what I meant was; Are they aged well? I know I can't play the original RA/CNC unless OPENRA was involved but I'll still play the hell out of RA2. Just wondering mechnically if the game is going to be slow or just how a early 90s RTS would feel

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I guess what I meant was; Are they aged well? I know I can't play the original RA/CNC unless OPENRA was involved but I'll still play the hell out of RA2. Just wondering mechnically if the game is going to be slow or just how a early 90s RTS would feel
It'll feel the same as you'd play it on an original OS that ran it back then but everything will load faster of course. Just wait and see videos on the net about it before buying it, if GoG didn't already put that up.

Level 2
It'll feel the same as you'd play it on an original OS that ran it back then but everything will load faster of course. Just wait and see videos on the net about it before buying it, if GoG didn't already put that up.

I don't think I ever played it; But I did want to get it for Playstation. Haha. Yeah I'll probably get it eventually since the Craft series are probably one of the best RTSs out there. Company of Heroes, Red Alert 2, Dawn of War 2, they're up there as well but man Do War/Starcraft always bring me back

Level 7
Warcraft 2 is fantastic and probably my favorite PC game of all time. The graphics may be 2d but it holds up very well (compared to older 3d games).

Unlike Warcraft 3, a big part of the game was ships and you could gather oil as a third resource. I wish Warcraft 3 had proper support for this (the AI doesn't build shipyards on the shoreline or know how to use transports without heavy triggering, and there is no proper support for extra resources).

It is more similar to Starcraft than Warcraft 3, fast paced and large armies, with no heroes.

Level 2
Hmm... doesn't say anything about widescreen or higher resolution. Also, Warcraft: Orcs & Humans didn't a get a multiplayer for more than 2 players :(

It's the last line homie

"The updated version comes with a number of fixes to provide full compatibility with modern machines as well as hi-resolution support and upscaling."

Status
Not open for further replies.